Peavey6505 4X12 + IR vs. Mic comparison

Clawfinger

Experienced
I did some IR's today (on the page also - 512 so far) of the Peavey 6505 cab with Sheffield 1200 elements. It got it's own character, and it's smooth as a baby's ass or like this example, aggressive as a raging bull. ;) Normally I'd High/Low pass the guitars a bit, but they are absolutely unprocessed for this little test. I'm really curious how the new and improved 1024 IR's will sound in a similar shoot-out.

It's a stupid riff, and it's played really sloppy. Anyway the first four bars it's the IR's (or Mic:ed), the second is the Mic:ed (or IR's). The third is the phase difference between the two. Well, almost. I zoomed until the waveform looked like a skyline when I lined them up, so it's pretty damn close anyway. The last four bars it's Mic in one channel and IR in the other, with some drums and bass.

New Recto amp model, guitar is a Futura EX w. EMG 85, drums are Superior 2.0 and the bass is an Epiphone T-bird through the Axe-FX of course.

http://www.falstudios.com/Junk/Peavey6505_IR.vs.Mic.mp3

I'm going to guess IR, then mic, for reasons I'll keep quiet for now to avoid tainting others' listening.

Since I've seen how these things go on pro forums, I know I'm supposed to qualify this with "...but I'm listening on my laptop's speakers, so anything I say can be ignored, in the 50/50 chance I'm wrong, so I can still claim aural superiority over the noobs." Phew, almost forgot that! :D :p

Wow, that's totally close and crushing!!

Just tried them and have to say, as allways, awesome IRs, you're the man Clawfinger ;-)

May I ask you which impulses you used in your recording (blend/mix ?) ?

Noob question : Do I understand corrrectly, that the impulse "Peavey_6505_EW480pos2_C214_SM57Pos2.syx" was done with those 3 mics?

Thanks...I totally love those ;-)

scarr said:
I'm going to guess IR, then mic, for reasons I'll keep quiet for now to avoid tainting others' listening.

Since I've seen how these things go on pro forums, I know I'm supposed to qualify this with "...but I'm listening on my laptop's speakers, so anything I say can be ignored, in the 50/50 chance I'm wrong, so I can still claim aural superiority over the noobs." Phew, almost forgot that! :D :p

That would be my guess as well. But I could easily be wrong.

Thanks for the comparison, Clawfinger. I honestly don't know which is which only that the second clip is louder in volume and has a bit more high end "sizzle" in it. Regardless, I'd say they're both so close that it does make setting up mics to record pretty much pointless. I haven't heard a direct mic vs IR comparisson till now and you've totally convinced me in the benefits of IRs.

Question: Are Cliff's cab models IR based as well? I don't have a midi interface yet and I'm wondering how much more beneficial your/Jay's/anyonelses IRs are over Cliffs. I will definately get a MIDI interface once 6.0 comes out (currently, I'm at 5.17, I believe) but I'm just curious about user IRs.

Thanks.

JustADream said:
Wow, that's totally close and crushing!!

Just tried them and have to say, as allways, awesome IRs, you're the man Clawfinger ;-)

May I ask you which impulses you used in your recording (blend/mix ?) ?

Noob question : Do I understand corrrectly, that the impulse "Peavey_6505_EW480pos2_C214_SM57Pos2.syx" was done with those 3 mics?

Thanks...I totally love those ;-)

Well thank you!

Yes, you are correct. The mikes mentioned in the name were used obtaining the IR. For more info about the mikes check the .pdf file. I'm not sure which IR's I used, but one of the peavey ones. ;)

BlueLotus said:
Question: Are Cliff's cab models IR based as well? I don't have a midi interface yet and I'm wondering how much more beneficial your/Jay's/anyonelses IRs are over Cliffs. I will definately get a MIDI interface once 6.0 comes out (currently, I'm at 5.17, I believe) but I'm just curious about user IRs.

Yes, Cliff's cab models are IR's too. We have a slightly different approach to the preferred sound should be though, but that's the beauty of the Axe-FX. It's a chameleon when it comes to guitar sound.

BlueLotus said:
Thanks for the comparison, Clawfinger. I honestly don't know which is which only that the second clip is louder in volume and has a bit more high end "sizzle" in it. Regardless, I'd say they're both so close that it does make setting up mics to record pretty much pointless. I haven't heard a direct mic vs IR comparisson till now and you've totally convinced me in the benefits of IRs.

Thanks.
They are all IR based.

Ah well, since the thread died, let me say that the first four bars are the actual mikes. Then it's the IR. The IR's sounds brighter and does have less low end (of course because of the windowing/11ms/512 samples).

I'll do some more testing when I get the time, to see if I can make impulses closer to the original.

I like all the new Peavy ones. Favs from the line so far are the EW480, EW480Pos 2 and the EW480pos2_C214_SM57Pos2

Clawfinger - thank you for doing these, they sound great !

If you don't mind me asking - could you provide the wave files for these 6505 IR's so I can try them in 1024 combo please ? Would appreciate that much,

Mik.

AlbertA said:
Really awesome.

What window did you end up using? Rectangular? Custom fades?

Actually, I listened in headphones for a while, and when I was close to a brain meltdown, I heard strange 5100Hz noice, similar to L6 gear, so I reloaded the IR with a Hann window, and it disappeared. If you didn't tell me there would be artifact, I think I've been still tweaking. ;)

The custom fade just took away all low end, so that was a bad idea.

mik said:

If you don't mind me asking - could you provide the wave files for these 6505 IR's so I can try them in 1024 combo please ? Would appreciate that much,

Mik.

Thanks for liking them!

No wavs, sorry. Long story, but I won't do it. I'll redo all of them later to 1024 when I get the chance though so hang in there.

Clawfinger said:
I'll do some more testing when I get the time, to see if I can make impulses closer to the original.

Well, if the mics are 1 and the IR's are two, then I'd say they're so close that getting any closer would kind of be perfection for the sake of perfection's sake. At that point, you'd have to say that the mic on the cabinet was placed at exactly XX millimeters from ____, etc... You'd never be able to set up the same precision of mic placement to get that same exact mic tone so why bother getting the IR any closer.

My $0.02

BlueLotus said:
Clawfinger said:

Well, if the mics are 1 and the IR's are two, then I'd say they're so close that getting any closer would kind of be perfection for the sake of perfection's sake. At that point, you'd have to say that the mic on the cabinet was placed at exactly XX millimeters from ____, etc... You'd never be able to set up the same precision of mic placement to get that same exact mic tone so why bother getting the IR any closer.

My $0.02

You're absolutely right. My point is simply that when I position a mic, I'm getting a certain sound, and that's the sound I want. Yes, could be overkill, but it could be something simple, like shorter sweep or using a dirac instead, or something similar. I do remember something that I thought the IR's became "more open" when I used a longer sweep, so I'll try that first.

Clawfinger said:
mik said:

Mik.

Thanks for liking them!

No wavs, sorry. Long story, but I won't do it. I'll redo all of them later to 1024 when I get the chance though so hang in there.

Oh .. 1024 would be definitely cool. thank you !

Mik.

Clawfinger = AxeFx metal. :cool: Thanks for doing these and sharing your IRs. I can't tell the difference from the audio, but I'm listening through Scarr's laptop speakers. :mrgreen:

acwild said:
Clawfinger = AxeFx metal. :cool: Thanks for doing these and sharing your IRs. I can't tell the difference from the audio, but I'm listening through Scarr's laptop speakers. :mrgreen:

Well thank you! Nice to be an authority in an area. ;)

Laptop speakers? Then they should be really close, yes. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom