PC vs Mac, just my take on it

Jeezz-Not another one-A PC is a PC-take your choice. one is NOT better than the other-period-grow up. If you cannot do that same thingss on Win7 than it is you, the user , not the PC. A computer is a tool and the user defines it's efficiency-Period.

I can understand the argument, but this is bullshit.

For instance, I can separate stereo files on Cubase on Windows far easier than I can in Logic. I can program drums far more efficiently on Cubase. On the flipside, I've never had audio glitches on Mac, and any audio issues I had were not driver issues... which was definitely not the case with several PCs. So for drum programming, I use Windows. The main project files are in Logic. Certain things I can do in Windows take physically longer in Mac than PC, and vice versa. My solution is to run the systems simultaneously. Best of both worlds.

FWIW, the worst time I had, workflow-wise, was when I tried to change my hobby machine to Linux. *shudder*

Jeezz-Not another one-A PC is a PC-take your choice. one is NOT better than the other-period-grow up. If you cannot do that same thingss on Win7 than it is you, the user , not the PC. A computer is a tool and the user defines it's efficiency-Period.

What you're failing to grasp is that Macs aren't just software. They're also hardware, and Apple simply does not put shitty hardware into their computers. Chinese manufacturers will sell their mom for a buck unless Apple tells them not to. So all you can buy from them is cheapest-ass components available, haphazardly put together. Case in point: the only firewire controller that works with _everything_ is made by Texas Instruments. Try to find a motherboard with it, and a FW-capable Mac without it. That's because they sell the whole widget. So if something doesn't work, they can't point fingers and blame someone else.

You can't compare a 300 currency of choice machine with another costing 2000 regardless of the OS running on it. A fair comparison would have to be the OS of choice on the same level of hardware.

At the end of the day which you use one or the other or both is a choice.

You can't compare a 300 currency of choice machine with another costing 2000 regardless of the OS running on it. A fair comparison would have to be the OS of choice on the same level of hardware.

At the end of the day which you use one or the other or both is a choice.

Well said. I always see these comparisons and people dont understand why their $300 Windows machine isnt as stable or fast as their $2k MBP.

Well said. I always see these comparisons and people dont understand why their $300 Windows machine isnt as stable or fast as their $2k MBP.

Your $2K Windows laptop (and they do exist) still won't be as stable or well put together as an MBP though. It also won't be as quiet and won't have as good a screen or battery life. "Whole widget" approach works, even though it costs quite a bit more. Quality remains when price is long forgotten.

I bought a VAIO for my son earlier this year. It's flimsy, it sounds like a hair dryer, and the battery lasts 2.5 hours. It also cost me $1K (and that's with a discount), and I had to buy a non-crapware infested copy of Windows 8 for it as well, because Sony will also sell their mom out for a buck.

He uses it for Steam and Minecraft. His next laptop will be a Mac for sure. Right now he's just too young and careless to own one.

I don't care who likes what-your preferred platform is just that. I wish for everyone to find their happy place in the computing world. :) But, nearly every Windows complaint I ever see is 100% user error. I am definitely a Windows fan, I won't lie. I don't even like Apple as a company. But I am around and use Apple products every day. We have a MacBook Pro, an iPad and iPad mini, and my girlfriend has an iPhone. We also have two desktop PCs and a few kindles, and I use a Lumia 920, just so all the in home tech is clear. Oh, and an Axe Fx II. ;) I use the MBP and the iPad frequently, and they are good products. I would never buy a mac desktop over a pc (pretty much ever :p) but I would own a MBP as my laptop. They make quality machines, and I say that as someone who doesn't like the company.

I have been honest about where I stand just so it does not seem like I'm hiding any bias. I just want there to be SOMEONE in this thread who chimes in to point out that I have had irritating Apple problems, with both the MBP and the iPads, just to point out that Macs being flawless super machines is plainly false. They can and will malfunction and have issues just as any piece of technology can. I have had them crash, lock up, refuse to do what they're told, and a host of annoyances like the MBP deciding to drop our home Wifi connection and try to connect to one of our neighbors for no reason, frequently. I am not discouraging anyone away from Macs--the MBP is a stellar laptop, and I would buy another. I'm just setting the record straight.

The other side of the coin: pretty much everyone Windows grievance in this thread is user error or exaggeration/parroting mac/pc myths. My concession is driver issues and audio work. Macs definitely have an easier time in that department, even if it does get grossly overstated. A quality Windows driver will work as perfect as any Mac driver can. Aside from that though, the every day use things, my Windows 7 PC is extremely stable and has served me well for years with no upgrades beyond a graphics card. I have never blue screened in the 3 years since I first installed Win7, driver crashes fix themselves before even informing me that they happened, and every single thing I plug in works instantly. There is no magical Mac mojo in that department, sorry. :p And I have never once reformatted. It's the same install I did in like 2010. Hell, I didn't even have near the problems with Vista that most others reported. My Vista system worked great too, though I can't deny it was far more troublesome than Win7. The out dated argument doesn't hold water, either. Again, there is no Apple magic that gives a Mac greater longevity. I'm reasonably sure that my ~7 year old PC that I used before this one would probably still outperform or at least keep up with a lot of Macs from the past few years. I won't even mention the astronomical difference in costs.

My one and only point is that both systems can run to damn near perfection, and they can both make you want to pull out your hair. That's all. If you love Macs, love Macs all day. I don't care. Praise their greatness and how easy you think they are to use and how they don't give you problems, that's awesome. But if you talk about how much more troublesome your PC was, in 95% of cases, I'd feel safe putting money down that it was your own fault. ;)

Brett

P.S. Viruses comes down to market share. If 90% of computers were Macs, you'd get a lot more worms in your Apple. So pray Microsoft holds onto that market share. ;)

I use a Lenovo Laptop (Win 7) and a MacBook Pro (OSX) about 50/50 every work day.

Both have their good points and bad points. You tend to learn to live with the bad and maximise the good.

End of the day, I get the job done using both, that would be far more difficult/frustrating using just one.

Sorry Guys, I didn't want this thread to became a "whats the best OS" thread, just wanted to voice my reasoning for using Mac for Audio. I am well aware that the PC driver issue is mostly user end, but I cannot say that it is all user end because if the drivers worked as it should, I would not have had any problems with using a usb-audio device with the up to date drivers installed. Funny thing is that my PC I built has never crashed (the latest one I have) but my Mac has experiences freezes, which typically occur due to something silly I do. I don't think either is best, but for myself, I find PC well out preforms mac when it comes to productivity apps that I use, while the Mac's audio driver integration is the sole reason I got my MBP. I am happy with both my PC and Mac equally and use them to as separate means for different ends.

I haven't had audio driver issues on Win 7 x64, or had to reinstall it at all. It has been running fine since Oct 2009 when I got a £2k laptop with SSDs In. It's now over three years old so is written down as an asset now but it still works fine so I don't feel an urge to replace it yet.

When I get something new I will have to assess available build quality of what is in the market place. Who knows my next laptop may be a Mac.

I used to also use Mac and still look after my mothers Mac, she bought a printer from a relatively small manufacturer called HP, but that needed drivers downloading for it. If Macs are your preference that's great but they can and do have issues.

I don't care who likes what-your preferred platform is just that. I wish for everyone to find their happy place in the computing world. :) But, nearly every Windows complaint I ever see is 100% user error. I am definitely a Windows fan, I won't lie. I don't even like Apple as a company. But I am around and use Apple products every day. We have a MacBook Pro, an iPad and iPad mini, and my girlfriend has an iPhone. We also have two desktop PCs and a few kindles, and I use a Lumia 920, just so all the in home tech is clear. Oh, and an Axe Fx II. ;) I use the MBP and the iPad frequently, and they are good products. I would never buy a mac desktop over a pc (pretty much ever :p) but I would own a MBP as my laptop. They make quality machines, and I say that as someone who doesn't like the company.

I have been honest about where I stand just so it does not seem like I'm hiding any bias. I just want there to be SOMEONE in this thread who chimes in to point out that I have had irritating Apple problems, with both the MBP and the iPads, just to point out that Macs being flawless super machines is plainly false. They can and will malfunction and have issues just as any piece of technology can. I have had them crash, lock up, refuse to do what they're told, and a host of annoyances like the MBP deciding to drop our home Wifi connection and try to connect to one of our neighbors for no reason, frequently. I am not discouraging anyone away from Macs--the MBP is a stellar laptop, and I would buy another. I'm just setting the record straight.

The other side of the coin: pretty much everyone Windows grievance in this thread is user error or exaggeration/parroting mac/pc myths. My concession is driver issues and audio work. Macs definitely have an easier time in that department, even if it does get grossly overstated. A quality Windows driver will work as perfect as any Mac driver can. Aside from that though, the every day use things, my Windows 7 PC is extremely stable and has served me well for years with no upgrades beyond a graphics card. I have never blue screened in the 3 years since I first installed Win7, driver crashes fix themselves before even informing me that they happened, and every single thing I plug in works instantly. There is no magical Mac mojo in that department, sorry. :p And I have never once reformatted. It's the same install I did in like 2010. Hell, I didn't even have near the problems with Vista that most others reported. My Vista system worked great too, though I can't deny it was far more troublesome than Win7. The out dated argument doesn't hold water, either. Again, there is no Apple magic that gives a Mac greater longevity. I'm reasonably sure that my ~7 year old PC that I used before this one would probably still outperform or at least keep up with a lot of Macs from the past few years. I won't even mention the astronomical difference in costs.

My one and only point is that both systems can run to damn near perfection, and they can both make you want to pull out your hair. That's all. If you love Macs, love Macs all day. I don't care. Praise their greatness and how easy you think they are to use and how they don't give you problems, that's awesome. But if you talk about how much more troublesome your PC was, in 95% of cases, I'd feel safe putting money down that it was your own fault. ;)

Brett

P.S. Viruses comes down to market share. If 90% of computers were Macs, you'd get a lot more worms in your Apple. So pray Microsoft holds onto that market share. ;)

Very well said, dude.

ev17d3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom