PC Issue advice before I tear it apart

Is there another MB brand you can recommend that has better longevity?
I know you are asking Dave but "longevity" on MB's is kind of dependent on may factors imho.
I have NEVER had an issue with Asus MB's. I am sure some have.
Just as an example: I typed into google "most reliable motherboards 2021 and this is what came up:
Best motherboards in 2021
  • ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming (From $327)
  • ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming (From $360)
  • ASUS TUF Gaming B550-PLUS (From $156)
  • ASUS TUF Gaming H570-PRO (From $190)
  • Gigabyte TRX40 AORUS Master (From $495)
  • ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero Z590 (From $380)
  • Gigabyte X570 I AORUS Pro WIFI (From $
Now maybe some are biased because of personal experience as I am but I wonder how many realize Asus has been making computer parts forever. Their components are in zillions of the brands being used today and I don't mean just motherboards.
Strudiocat is a long time DAW builder (over 2 decades) He uses 2 MB's Asus and I honestly do not remember what the othe is. He said it depends on the build. Nope, I don't work for Asus or anyone actually.
Anyway I would be curious to hear whatr Dave has to say . I have no doubt he is a smart guy, as so many on this forum.
EDIT: the other MB Studiocat uses is Gigabyte. They are also always listed when searching for oo MB's.

Last edited:
Im look for 4- to 5 years top on any build so I have decided to get an i7 11th gen 11,700 cpu and a new Asus motherboard.
Not future proof, it's lga1200. But as mentioned 4-5 years is all I hope for and actually at this stage in my life 3 years is fine.
This will certainly end my present issue. I have etra NEW components all over my house. New Antec PSU's, DDR4, stuff like that.

Is there another MB brand you can recommend that has better longevity?
sure, I've had Dell and Intel MBs go the long haul in my experience, unfortunately Intel no longer makes desktop boards since 2013 but Dell Precision workstation desktops really are great for a lasting PC, one of the things that I really like about these is Dell continues to provide fw and sw updates years after their release unlike others. if you can get a used dell precision or new one I'd think you'd be happy, at least I'm quite happy with mine. These PCs run for years and years 24/7 with very good track record in my experience.

I know you are asking Dave but "longevity" on MB's is kind of dependent on may factors imho.
I have NEVER had an issue with Asus MB's. I am sure some have.
Just as an example: I typed into google "most reliable motherboards 2021 and this is what came up:
Best motherboards in 2021
  • ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming (From $327)
  • ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming (From $360)
  • ASUS TUF Gaming B550-PLUS (From $156)
  • ASUS TUF Gaming H570-PRO (From $190)
  • Gigabyte TRX40 AORUS Master (From $495)
  • ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero Z590 (From $380)
  • Gigabyte X570 I AORUS Pro WIFI (From $
Now maybe some are biased because of personal experience as I am but I wonder how many realize Asus has been making computer parts forever. Their components are in zillions of the brands being used today and I don't mean just motherboards.
Strudiocat is a long time DAW builder (over 2 decades) He uses 2 MB's Asus and I honestly do not remember what the othe is. He said it depends on the build. Nope, I don't work for Asus or anyone actually.
Anyway I would be curious to hear whatr Dave has to say . I have no doubt he is a smart guy, as so many on this forum.
EDIT: the other MB Studiocat uses is Gigabyte. They are also always listed when searching for oo MB's.
Id defiantly try changing out the cpu paste, also you might want to make sure you've blown out all of the dust, i.e. cpu, psu mb all fans etc. I'm using a dust blower and clean my PC a couple times a year you might also check your mbs heat sensors and or get new fans as they can get noisy.
Ive had some bad luck with ASUS MBs in my experience years ago I was in the system builder channel for my day job, did high end ccd camera integrations for life sciences and High Tec here in the bay area, we had used ASUS MBs initially but they would have IRQ problems and very slow to release patches to address problems, so we started using Intel MBs and all of those problems went away, later in my career I was working in a software company and started purchasing the Dell Precision workstations, these PCs ran 24/7 for years and years for developer environments with little to no problems in my experience. The desktop boards your listing here I do not have any experience with so really cant comment on hardware that I'm not familiar with. These days I'm not around desktop hardware just data center servers. The problem with building PC clones is your taking chances that all of the components you purchase will work, generally building clones its not a problem but I don't like to go that route these days.

Id defiantly try changing out the cpu paste, also you might want to make sure you've blown out all of the dust, i.e. cpu, psu mb all fans etc. I'm using a dust blower and clean my PC a couple times a year you might also check your mbs heat sensors and or get new fans as they can get noisy.
Ive had some bad luck with ASUS MBs in my experience years ago I was in the system builder channel for my day job, did high end ccd camera integrations for life sciences and High Tec here in the bay area, we had used ASUS MBs initially but they would have IRQ problems and very slow to release patches to address problems, so we started using Intel MBs and all of those problems went away, later in my career I was working in a software company and started purchasing the Dell Precision workstations, these PCs ran 24/7 for years and years for developer environments with little to no problems in my experience. The desktop boards your listing here I do not have any experience with so really cant comment on hardware that I'm not familiar with. These days I'm not around desktop hardware just data center servers. The problem with building PC clones is your taking chances that all of the components you purchase will work, generally building clones its not a problem but I don't like to go that route these days.
Are you using one of those Dells for music?

I'm in no way qualified to spec computers for DAW use, but my impression is that off the shelf Dell workstations aren't super common in that world.

Doing a component level build requires exactly the sorts of detailed knowledge and experience I don't really have in this domain, and my music computer is WAY past its prime, so I'd love to buy something prebuilt, just don't know what. Computers specifically designed for music tend to be pretty expensive for what you get.

Last edited:

I'm in no way qualified to spec computers for DAW use, but my impression is that off the shelf Dell workstations aren't super common in that world.

Doing a component level build requires exactly the sorts of detailed knowledge and experience I don't really have in this domain, and my music computer is WAY past its prime, so I'd love to buy something prebuilt, just don't know what. Computers specifically designed for music trend to be pretty expensive for what you get.
I agree. Doesn't mean they won't work. But the question Dave replied to was asking about "motherboards" not off the shelf PCs. Just sayin.
If I didn't already have good components laying around I would be looking at stduicat, Jim Rosenberry. Great Daw builds. Not cheap but I spent just as much to build my own-the one I have now inluded.

I agree. Doesn't mean they won't work. But the question Dave replied to was asking about "motherboards" not off the shelf PCs. Just sayin.
If I didn't already have good components laying around I would be looking at stduicat, Jim Rosenberry. Great Daw builds. Not cheap but I spent just as much to build my own-the one I have now inluded.
You said a short important (to me) thing: DIY didn't save you money. If that's the case, I'll stop feeling guilty about not really wanting to learn all that :)

I believe the new bios update is for windows 11 support. Most of my homebuilt computers have been with asus motherboards. If you buy the mid-high end, they usually last forever.

I'm guessing the fan issue you described is probably something going on with the asus proprietary software. There's usually alot of settings in bios related to fan speeds, water cooling etc... Change one thing at a time until you figure it out, maybe?

Doing a component level build requires exactly the sorts of detailed knowledge and experience I don't really have in this domain, and my music computer is WAY past its prime, so I'd love to buy something prebuilt, just don't know what. Computers specifically designed for music tend to be pretty expensive for what you get.
sure I get it, its just my imo, and ime, take for what its worth, I'd recommend getting a USB DAW, my experience with PCIs and Firewire DAWs didnt end well for me. Oh and yes Im using a Roland Cakewalk UA101 with my Dell, its a bit old but works great with Sonar X1, been down the iMac path too, spent a lot on a good one using Logic Pro but I like using windows 10 better, keep in mind the Dell Precisions are using Xeon processors. If I was building a new DAW I'd get a new Dell Precision and the Roland Studio-Capture but thats just me.

By chance, are you running any ASUS Optimization software for the motherboard like AI Suite 3? If so you might want to try going into services and look for “AsusFanControlService”. Disable it select a fan profile in your BIOS and see what happens. Grasping at straws, but it might be worth a shot.

I also have been using Asus boards for 20 plus years with no problems, but you never know??

sure I get it, its just my imo, and ime, take for what its worth, I'd recommend getting a USB DAW, my experience with PCIs and Firewire DAWs didnt end well for me. Oh and yes Im using a Roland Cakewalk UA101 with my Dell, its a bit old but works great with Sonar X1, been down the iMac path too, spent a lot on a good one using Logic Pro but I like using windows 10 better, keep in mind the Dell Precisions are using Xeon processors. If I was building a new DAW I'd get a new Dell Precision and the Roland Studio-Capture but thats just me.
I agree Dave about USB. Now that I have the Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen I am happy.
But I have decided to NOT try and reseat the heatsink.
I purchased another, YES Dave :) , Asus MB Prime Z590 A and an 11th gen Intel i7 11700K. Should have them by Friday.
As mentioned I usually upgrade my PCS every 3 or 4 years so it's time anyway.
Thank you for you input-Appreciated!

By chance, are you running any ASUS Optimization software for the motherboard like AI Suite 3? If so you might want to try going into services and look for “AsusFanControlService”. Disable it select a fan profile in your BIOS and see what happens. Grasping at straws, but it might be worth a shot.

I also have been using Asus boards for 20 plus years with no problems, but you never know??
Appreciate it. I did try that. It definitely helped a bit. Since this happens WITHOUT the CPU or PCH or anything being hot (the fan spin up) and shutdown) I give up. See my post #32 right above. I am moving on. I do have an old case and components I can fool around with the replaced stuff at my liesure after building new one.
Thanks man

I agree Dave about USB. Now that I have the Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen I am happy.
But I have decided to NOT try and reseat the heatsink.
I purchased another, YES Dave :) , Asus MB Prime Z590 A and an 11th gen Intel i7 11700K. Should have them by Friday.
As mentioned I usually upgrade my PCS every 3 or 4 years so it's time anyway.
Thank you for you input-Appreciated!
That's sweet, very respectable cpu, 8 core 16 threads, should serve you well, I'd stay away from any overclocking incase your considering imo, usb audio really doesn't need any crazy fast clock cycles, curious what graphics card are you using, care to share? Cheers...

That's sweet, very respectable cpu, 8 core 16 threads, should serve you well, I'd stay away from any overclocking incase your considering imo, usb audio really doesn't need any crazy fast clock cycles, curious what graphics card are you using, care to share? Cheers...
Never Overclock, even if I play my fav tomb raider games :cool: Presentlyan MSI Geforece GTX 1060 6gb. works well. IUntil I get delivery of new stuff I have the 8th gen intel i7 8700. I tried the built in graphics and amazingly, even 4 yrs old, I was able to play the game. Not as smoothly, but I agree with many statements here that for a daw, the built in graphics are plenty. My new intel i7 11th gen, has , supposedly much better and enhanced graphics.
I am going to use all the components from my present PC except MB.CPU and cooler.

Never Overclock, even if I play my fav tomb raider games :cool: Presentlyan MSI Geforece GTX 1060 6gb. works well. IUntil I get delivery of new stuff I have the 8th gen intel i7 8700. I tried the built in graphics and amazingly, even 4 yrs old, I was able to play the game. Not as smoothly, but I agree with many statements here that for a daw, the built in graphics are plenty. My new intel i7 11th gen, has , supposedly much better and enhanced graphics.
I am going to use all the components from my present PC except MB.CPU and cooler.
Wow nice card, lots of value for that price point, especially like the Ferrite chokes and Japanese caps not to mention the crazy 7680 x 4320! Have Fun!

Back
Top Bottom