PC Issue advice before I tear it apart

Stratman68

Axe-Master
win 10x64 Asus Prinme Z370\32gb DDR4\Geforce 1060 ti 6gb\multiple drives. Noctua D15 dual heatsinks and 140mm fans
The issue: CPU fans rev to max and never stop until I reboot. But cpu emps according to Asus AI APP and Hardware monioto show CPU and other temps normal and low?
So I thought it was the graphics card, so I reseated the card, didn't help. Then I plugged the monitor into the Intel HD grapics on MB.
Same thing happens? My PC tech days were long ago and I cannot figure this out. Tis was actually the reason I posted for advice about upgrading my PC. really don't need to xcept for this. There was a broken fan blade on PC floor when I reseated the GPU. But the card should be out of the picture now, I THINK?
I understand completely how hard it is to diagnosis for someone else n a forum.
Just really asking for thinks I can look for and research etc. Google has been NO HELP.
Thanks

And you can confirm that CPU isnt running high?

Sure its not the power supply or GPU fan revving up? Need to have case side cover opened up.

Did Windows or Nvidia drivers get patched recently? May want to roll back any recent drivers that were installed.

I did have CPU thermal paste kind of fail once over time. Maybe clean CPU cooler with alcohol and apply fresh thermal paste.

It may be a virus got on your PC. I’d rule that out first.

Yeah I used to build PC’s from parts. Although never went too far down the water cooling rabbit hole.

And you can confirm that CPU isnt running high?

Sure its not the power supply or GPU fan revving up? Need to have case side cover opened up.

Did Windows or Nvidia drivers get patched recently? May want to roll back any recent drivers that were installed.

I did have CPU thermal paste kind of fail once over time. Maybe clean CPU cooler with alcohol and apply fresh thermal paste.

It may be a virus got on your PC. I’d rule that out first.

Yeah I used to build PC’s from parts. Although never went too far down the water cooling rabbit hole.
Did confirm GPU fans are idle, although they weren't,hence the broken blade maybe. I have sat and watched with PC on it's side the the 2 140MM fans on Noctua D15 going NUTS. Checked for virus, etc, nope. but thanks.
Just the normal BS win 10x64 updates and no GPU updates reecently.
I am thinking thermal paste and reseating the heatsink also. The case I have is huge, actually Fractal Designs-Hah! It's 9.5" wide. The Noctua D15 is HUGE, so I had to hunt for the tower.

when standing staraight, as the tower always is, the huge Noctua is sideways?
Thanks man.

Attachments

• Asus App Temps IDLE.JPG
    Asus App Temps IDLE.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 7
Did you try and reseat the CPU fan connector?

Also, does it rev up while you're in BIOS/pre-boot setup or only when you're in Windows?
No but I will....It revs up in windows. It revs up more quickly if I open the tomb raider game I have installed- Shadow of the Tomb Raider.
When the GPU is enabled the the screen goes black and all is dead except for hard reboot. When using the intel graphics, fans rev up but the screen stays on? But I still cannot do anything.
But this all happens game or no game-Just takes longer to happen if I am just recording, or using Excel, or something like that-
That is with Geforece Car or MB intel graphics. Thi is why I ruled out the graphics card. Also the GPU fans were not spinning wildly ever.
I thought I wold be able to at least tread lightly using the Intel Graphics but it still happens. Very bummed.
I will reseat CPU fan connector shortly.
Thanks

Do you have any ASUS fan control apps installed? It's possible a Windows update could have jacked something up there. You might check the ASUS website for any new firmware or app updates.

Are you running good antivirus?
You could have picked up some sort of bitcoin mining malware that's overworking your GPU.
Is your PC on the public internet, and if so, have you mitigated the log4j vulnerability if it applies to you?

Do you have any ASUS fan control apps installed? It's possible a Windows update could have jacked something up there. You might check the ASUS website for any new firmware or app updates.
I did that. But about a month ago, maybe less I did update the BIOS, which was weird they put one out for my MB after 3 1/2 years.
BTW, this was my hope, some ideas from you folks for things for me to research, check, etc...............
Boy, miss the days when I kne what I was doing. That would be Win 7 and Win server 2000 and 2003...............I was pretty good back then. don't remember crap now. Kind of like how I use to rebuild engines and trannys in cars in my driveway with my father-not these days

Are you running good antivirus?
You could have picked up some sort of bitcoin mining malware that's overworking your GPU.
Is your PC on the public internet, and if so, have you mitigated the log4j vulnerability if it applies to you?
I have used Bit Defender for over a decade. I run scans weekly and more. I have no idea what log4j vulnerability is but I will research it NOW.
Thanks

Figured I would run Bit Defender and Norton free eraser and a rootkit app before I shutdown and did some stuff.
The only thing that came up, in Norton eraser, which is usually pretty good is FM9 edit. sorry ain't going for that.
Later Shutting down

This is a pretty big deal today, and the security impact is widespread, but unless you're running an internet-accessible service, you shouldn't need to worry about it.
I'd say you need to take precautions if your computer is accessible on the public internet, whether you intend to make any services available or not.

If you're on FiOS or Comcast or another typical broadband provider, you'd probably have to go out of your way to make your computer available publicly. But if it is, you need to act, for real.

In terms of ubiquity and potential harm, this is 10 out of 10. I spent significant time yesterday and today researching and mitigating this for work. It allows unauthenticated remote attackers to run arbitrary code on vulnerable devices and is being actively exploited in the wild. See any news service or developer channel anywhere.

Agreed that it's a 10/10. But...if you're not running an internet-accessible service, then there is no vulnerability for an attacker to exploit. In other words, for the average home computer user like Stratman68, there is no action he can or should take.

OK. So I reseated connections, including all DDR4 and CPU fan connector. I also flashed BIOS back to when I know all was OK.
I just ran the game, since it is the biggest tell, for about 30 minutes. No issues.

I will NOT celebrate yet but sure seems to be OK. Thanks for all the great advice-as usual...............BTW, I don't really care about the game I have installed-hardly touch it since I have played it to death.
But it is a good test.
I have my fingers crossed.................. :)

Last edited:
OK. So I reseated connections, including all DDR4 and CPU fan connector. I also flashed BIOS back to when I know all was OK.
I just ran the game, since it is the biggest tell, for about 30 minutes. No issues.

I will NOT celebrate yet but sure seems to be OK. Thanks for all the great advice-as usual...............BTW, I don't really care about the game I have installed-hardly touch it since I have played it to death.
But it is a good test.
I have my fingers crossed.................. :)
after reading through this thread reverting the BIOS was what I was going to recommend, if a virus and or compromise of your sensitive data is concerning back it up. If your still having problems get a new disk and reinstall windows on it to see if problem persists if so then os is not compromised and hardware is suspect, imo asus mb's are ok but they do not last long haul in my experience.

after reading through this thread reverting the BIOS was what I was going to recommend, if a virus and or compromise of your sensitive data is concerning back it up. If your still having problems get a new disk and reinstall windows on it to see if problem persists if so then os is not compromised and hardware is suspect, imo asus mb's are ok but they do not last long haul in my experience.
I have been using Asus MB's since, well over 2 decades I guess...not sure. Ever sine I have rolled my own.
You may be right about the long haul because I always change about every 5 years. I am at 3 1/2 years right now.
Thanks for the advice-appreciated!

Well it saddens me to report that the issue still does exist after all I have tried. It is MUCH BETTER though. Takes much longer for any type of cpu fan spin up. So I am OK doing DAW stuff, for the most part. That is my main use. I do have an i7 laptop with 16GB ram and 2 drives, so I always have a backup.
I probably will wait it out and keep checking prices.
My second option is one discussed that I have not done yet-reseat heat sink-, cleaning off old thermal paste and re-applying. Just not ready to do that.
I carpeted my little home studio so I actually just got everything set up again.

Is there another MB brand you can recommend that has better longevity?

Back
Top Bottom