PC Daw dead RIP -Worst timing for this

Stratman68

Axe-Master
Asus Prime Z590-A MB. Have not tried in a long time. But now I NEED to get into the UEFI BIOS. I have tried old tricks and EVERY trick I could find on the web for the last 2 1/2 hours. Also cannot boot from win 10 dvd to try and run a repair. Aomei Partion Asst Pro has an option to FORCE to UEFI bios start.
NOTHING WORKS. So many ideas say just boot from USB or DVD. except I a cannot.
Any slick ideas or apps ?
Thanks
So frustrated.

Delete key during boot works on my Asus board. Are you using a USB keyboard and mouse? Bluetooth devices likely won't work at boot.

Delete key during boot works on my Asus board. Are you using a USB keyboard and mouse? Bluetooth devices likely won't work at boot.
No. USB. So wonderful when ALL the help talks about things to disable\change in the BIOS, but I cannot get there. Not sure my WIN 10 DVD won't boot. DVD player checks out fine. I wanted to run the repair windows BS from the win DVD. So I am NOW creating a USB win 10 disk to see if I can boor from that.

Will the machine boot into Windows at all?

Also are the keyboard and mouse wired or wireless USB? I've had some wireless USB keyboards not work in BIOS.

It boots fine. Just ha some things I needed to do. Like migrate OS to new SSD mainly. Wired USB.
Appreciate the help.
I am going to give up for tonight and play my dakota red strat. I couldn't boot from the win USB drive I created with media tool either.
Thanks

If you hold down the shift key while you restart Windows, it should go into the Advanced Startup options when it boots. From the options choose Troubleshoot, then Advanced Options, and it should give you an option for UEFI Firmware Settings. That should make it restart and enter BIOS.

On my Asus board, holding down ESC while you cold boot the machine also makes it enter BIOS.

If you hold down the shift key while you restart Windows, it should go into the Advanced Startup options when it boots. From the options choose Troubleshoot, then Advanced Options, and it should give you an option for UEFI Firmware Settings. That should make it restart and enter BIOS.

On my Asus board, holding down ESC while you cold boot the machine also makes it enter BIOS.
Done that at least 15 times already. I just found an Apil 17, 2024 BIOS update for my motherboard? My MB is like 3 o 4 years old. Guess that's worth a shot. Asus chat said just go into bios blah blah blah. Jeeeezzzz-Thanks again

One thing to try is to remove the boot drive from the system. If it finds no bootable devices, it may take you to a screen that lets you access the BIOS.

Hail Mary approach is to pull the CMOS battery and wipe the settings completely. That should force it to a boot option as well but can be a pain to set everything back up if you had custom tweaks.

One thing to try is to remove the boot drive from the system. If it finds no bootable devices, it may take you to a screen that lets you access the BIOS.

Hail Mary approach is to pull the CMOS battery and wipe the settings completely. That should force it to a boot option as well but can be a pain to set everything back up if you had custom tweaks.
That's an idea. I'll try that tomorrow morning. I am seeing double and ready to punch a hole thru the monitor. I have done the battery thing or using a screwdriver to cross the little pins that cause the change.
I'll post back tomorrow about my progress. I really hate to reinstall everything-like 600 VSTS and all that crap. I did successfully clone the C drive to a new SSD, so I do have that lso.

I have the same issue here, almost the same setup but older machine, Asus board, same OS. I do not see UEFI settings under Advanced options and tried holding down every possible key while booting. Only way to access BIOS is to remove the boot drive. Didn´t know bluetooth keyboard doesn´t work at boot up, but makes sense.
I also cloned the C drive to a new SSD that I had to install via adapter, only to have an IT guy tell me that it won´t boot from the SSD with an adapter :oops:

As I wrote, I tried every suggested key, none of them did anything. So seems related to bluetooth keyboard not working at boot up.

So, this morning. I loaded the newest BIOS download onto a USB drive. I shorted the 2 pins next to the CMOS battery. I have done that so many times over the years I feel really dumb that I did not try that.
So all is well now. Del or F2 h gets me into UEFI bios. Still have not tried to boot from win dvd. will try later.
So today I will remove the old C drive (500GB Samsung 970 EVO and put the cloned NEW Samsung 980 PRO 1TB in it's place.
Guess I'll find out if I have more work to do if it doesn't boot from new drive.
Thanks for the help folks. I know this isn't a Computer help forum but I consider it most helpful forum I have ever been involved in :)

Update-Cloning\migration using Aomei Part asst did not work so I had to undo everything and I am back to where I started kind of-Except of course, I now can boot into UEFI BIOS and boot from usb or dvd. so that's cool! I am going to try cloning with samsung magician-al my NV<E2's are samsungs.

Update-Cloning\migration using Aomei Part asst did not work so I had to undo everything and I am back to where I started kind of-Except of course, I now can boot into UEFI BIOS and boot from usb or dvd. so that's cool! I am going to try cloning with samsung magician-al my NV<E2's are samsungs.
Make sure you don't have your drive encrypted with BitLocker or else you won't be able to clone it. If it's encrypted, you'd need to either suspend BitLocker or decrypt the drive. If it's encrypted, make sure you have your recovery key before making any changes bc if you don't have it, it's full data loss if BitLocker goes into recovery mode and requests your recovery key.

To verify, click on the Start menu and type PowerShell and then right click on PowerShell and select Run as administrator. When PowerShell opens type the command below:

Get-BitLockerVolume

It will show the encryption status for all drives connected to your PC.

I work in IT and have done what you're trying to do tons of times, so feel free to send me a message and I can walk you through it. I don't check the forum often but if you send me a message I'll get an email.

Back
Top Bottom