Patches Volume

fandyboy

Inspired
Hi guys,

I'm in a situation at the moment where I amp playing about 10 songs a night live, each with about 4 patches. I've started getting concerned about the relative volume across all the patches. I always used to level the volume by ear but this has some obvious flaws. Would you guys think it is a good idea to actually record into something like Sound Forge or ProTools to analyse the amplitude of the waveform to ensure it's uniform accross all the patches. I know it's nice to have some dynamic in volume live but I can do that with my playing I just need to ensure no-one patch is gonna blast out once amplified to high SPLs.

Is it even recommended to have all patches at the same peak level?

IMO, it is much better to do it by ear. Some tones can sound louder than others even at the same signal level, especially when in a mix. Perceived volume is more important for me than SPL. Mid-rangey patches will have a tendency to stand out more. A good way to go theu and make sure no one patches is going to blast out is to listen to them one after the other and make sure no one patch blasts out. Signal levels can be a nice guide, but some patches need to stand out more or less than others to fit in the mix (depending on how varied your set list and styles of songs are). Mine vary wildly.

I started messing around with setting up my FC300 floorboard with my new Axe-FX Ultra last night, and tried out mapping the Vol inc/dec controls to a couple of the pedals. This is extremely useful because you can easily go thru the patches and set the volume with your feet, and it auto saves the volume setting with the patch. Very nice, I kind of wish I had buttons for this right on the face of the unit, it's so handy.

porieux said:
I started messing around with setting up my FC300 floorboard with my new Axe-FX Ultra last night, and tried out mapping the Vol inc/dec controls to a couple of the pedals. This is extremely useful because you can easily go thru the patches and set the volume with your feet, and it auto saves the volume setting with the patch. Very nice, I kind of wish I had buttons for this right on the face of the unit, it's so handy.

The vol inc/dec feature is my method of leveling as well.

javajunkie said:
porieux said:

guys, could you elaborate this method a little further?
Are you setting controllers to the general patch volume? how exactly is this done?
Global -> Out 1 / 2?
Amp Block -> Level?

Thank you very much! :)

Great tip guys, just set up my GCP with VOL- and VOL+ as IA buttons. Makes it a lot easier!
..well ,I have one GCP..Plese tell me what do I have to do
to set it up like you did?
Thanks

quasimono said:
On what parameter(s) inside your current patch do these two controllers act?

I think they affect the overall patch level. You can manually set this by recalling your patch, and hitting the page right button to the last tab, mixer. There are volumes for each of the four chains, and sliders on the right for overall patch level.

quonsar said:
quasimono said:
On what parameter(s) inside your current patch do these two controllers act?

I think they affect the overall patch level. You can manually set this by recalling your patch, and hitting the page right button to the last tab, mixer. There are volumes for each of the four chains, and sliders on the right for overall patch level.

right, it is the output mixer main volume.

mitch236 said:
How does the footcontroller "autosave" the changes?

The foot controller doesn't. The Axe-fx does. When you hit the inc/dec the axe-fx changes patches then saves itself. Caution: any changes made to that point will be saved to include effects bypass states.

javajunkie said:
porieux said:

Same with me. I didn't know this feature saved the patch as well as adjusted the volume. Cliff turned me onto this in another thread. G-R-E-A-T way of getting the levels ironed out. I just make sure that my quietest clean patch never gets adjusted and I tweaked my other patches around that base level making sure not to peak.

Back
Top Bottom