Patches for Cover Band

JPS225

Inspired
I'm looking for 2 or 3 patches for use with a cover band for me Fm3. Covering some rock, a little country (more on the rock/pop side). Thinking something Marshall like, another Fender or vox like. Any suggestions on where to look?

I play in a cover band that had around 200 songs before we lost a member, so now we're significantly reduced, but I still have about 35 presets that cover the songs we do.

If I were you, I wouldn't try to do even 2 or 3 kitchen sink presets to cover everything. It's possible, but, for instance, in my "meat 'n potatoes" preset (which is more or less a 'general use' - mini kitchen sink - preset), I'm tapping out at 85% CPU; it's right on the verge of not working. It's got

In > Wah > Drive > Amp > Cab > Comp > Chorus > Delay > Reverb > Out ... and I think MAYBE a looper; can't remember off hand.

In any case, it works for a majority of the songs, but it doesn't begin to cover the whole setlist, especially if you like specific effects particular to certain songs (if you're going for any degree of authenticity).

In any case, make your own - you'll be much happier. I also recommend using Per-Preset footswitches for every preset as well. A kitchen sink preset is a PITA with only 3 switches, regardless of how versatile the FAS switches are. This is what I do and every preset has exactly what I need for the song in it; it's great!

Playing in several cover bands, I find it very tempting to throw up my hands and attempt to find two or three do-it-all presets.
Conversely, I got to the point where I almost had a different preset for every song; thank God I came to my senses!
Looking through the factory presets, there are so many that nail the tones of the respective guitarists: Nile Rodgers, Andy Summers, Neal Schon, Tom Scholz, Steve Lukather, the Buckaroos' Don Rich, Steve Stevens... even my childhood hero Johnny Marr!
But to the OP's question: I suppose if I absolutely HAD to have only three presets, I'd use one of the variations of the 5150 presets: clean, semi-dirty, and full-bore metal.

I play in a cover band that had around 200 songs before we lost a member, so now we're significantly reduced, but I still have about 35 presets that cover the songs we do.

If I were you, I wouldn't try to do even 2 or 3 kitchen sink presets to cover everything. It's possible, but, for instance, in my "meat 'n potatoes" preset (which is more or less a 'general use' - mini kitchen sink - preset), I'm tapping out at 85% CPU; it's right on the verge of not working. It's got

In > Wah > Drive > Amp > Cab > Comp > Chorus > Delay > Reverb > Out ... and I think MAYBE a looper; can't remember off hand.

In any case, it works for a majority of the songs, but it doesn't begin to cover the whole setlist, especially if you like specific effects particular to certain songs (if you're going for any degree of authenticity).

In any case, make your own - you'll be much happier. I also recommend using Per-Preset footswitches for every preset as well. A kitchen sink preset is a PITA with only 3 switches, regardless of how versatile the FAS switches are. This is what I do and every preset has exactly what I need for the song in it; it's great!

Set your Reverb to Economy and Cabs to Standard, should cut 10-15% off that load and you won't be able to hear the difference especially live unless you have the reverb mixed super high essentially playing atmospheric stuff.

I'm in a similar situation to @Ugly Bunny and I agree with his logic here. You can get to a point where you create presets for all of your songs, but you should start by getting comfortable making and tweaking a couple of presets that cover most of your needs. I would start by figuring out what amps you need. If you only need 2-4 models, you could easily get away with a single, perhaps 2 base presets. If you need 6-8, then you might need 3 or 4. I break amps down into categories and try to stick to 1-2 models to cover that category for all of our songs. For "Cleans" I use a Band Master and a Deluxe Reverb, for Chime I use the AC20, for Crunch/Rhythm I use a Dirty Shirley, and for high gain/lead I use the FAS Brown and the Cornfed amps. Add a drive pedal in front of each that works well and you have a super versatile tone base.

Then add your ESSENTIAL effects - ones that you use for most of your songs. For me, that chain is VOL - COMP - DRIVE - AMP - CAB - CHOR - PEQ (for tone shaping) - VOL2 (for footswitchable volume boost) - DELAY - PLXDLY (for reverb mostly, shimmer on a couple tunes).

Once you have those base presets created, then you can use them as a template to create one-offs for songs that need specific effects. For example, I only use a flanger for a single song (All Over You by Live) so I have a preset that is almost identical to the base, but with a Flanger instead of the Chorus.

If you eventually want to go down the rabbit hole of building presets for every song, you certainly can. I would make sure you save your amp and cab settings as favorites within your blocks so that you can easily update them and cut and paste to all songs after firmware updates. This is where having too many amps that you use can get you in trouble. Every time a major firmware update comes out (and man, has that been often recently), you will have to make minor tweaks to all of your amp settings. If you only use 4-5 amps total, that is only 4-5 amps you have to tweak, save, and then paste to get all of your presets updated. I would do the same with compressor, drive, and any other effects that have an impact on your gain staging. The bottom line is, the more you keep it simple, the less you will have to tweak with updates.

The last thing I'll add is more personal philosophy so take it with a grain of salt: We are all tone snobs to a degree - or at least "tone obsessives". That is why we shell out the money for high quality gear like this. But most of the audience is not - they want the energy, not the exact tones. So, don't feel the need to copy every sound from every album down to the last detail. Find a few core amps, get to know them, use them, and focus on your playing. It is so easy to get lost in the vast number of amps and settings on this device. I have done it many times and I generally find myself coming right back to the amp models that I have always loved and been drawn to. Best of luck!

Once you have those base presets created, then you can use them as a template to create one-offs for songs that need specific effects. For example, I only use a flanger for a single song (All Over You by Live) so I have a preset that is almost identical to the base, but with a Flanger instead of the Chorus.
Precisely what I do. Rarely will I create a preset from scratch these days unless I'm feelin' a wild bug up my butt to do so or I feel a song requires a different vibe. For instance, I diverted from my main Jp2C amp for Meredith Brooks' "Bitch" because i feel that song calls for a Vox. I also switch to a tele on my Variax for that one. I think I've found a good balance between trying to have 1 preset to rule them all on one side of the spectrum and each song gets its own preset on the other. The one thing I don't compromise, though, is that each preset that I do make gets it's own per-preset switch assignment :)

don't feel the need to copy every sound from every album down to the last detail. Find a few core amps, get to know them, use them, and focus on your playing.
Wonderful points all around in your post. This is the best advice, I think. I just try to capture the spirit of the tune, not necessarily an identical tone based off the same equipment the artist used.

Also, always audition your sounds at FULL gig volume or Fletcher-Munson will ruin your good time. All those presets that sound “dark” at bedroom volume will sound great or even a bit bright at gig volume. I find that using nice headphones that tend to be a bit bright helps me compensate for this while I’m building presets. But, I always run my sounds through speakers at full volume before I finalize my presets for gigs. This is also the reason that some people struggle with the factory presets. They’re designed to be played LOUD. 🤘🏻

Also, always audition your sounds at FULL gig volume or Fletcher-Munson will ruin your good time. All those presets that sound “dark” at bedroom volume will sound great or even a bit bright at gig volume. I find that using nice headphones that tend to be a bit bright helps me compensate for this while I’m building presets. But, I always run my sounds through speakers at full volume before I finalize my presets for gigs. This is also the reason that some people struggle with the factory presets. They’re designed to be played LOUD. 🤘🏻
Just to play devil's advocate here; I've never dialed in a preset at "full gig volume" in my life (for several reasons) and there's never been any issue. The soundman can EQ my tone as he sees fit. I think this advice came about more for people dialing in tube amps at bedroom volume and then cranking them when they get on stage and finding the tone becomes boomy and ice-picky... But, for instance, I practice to headphones or studio monitors at reasonable listening volume, we rehearse using headphones, and my band uses in-ears (I don't, but that's neither here nor there) - so, in a way I do dial stuff in at "gig volume," but that doesn't necessarily mean the volume that is coming through the PA speakers (since, again, soundman has robust EQ capabilities) or what you traditionally think of as gig volume.

But yes; if you play loudly and have a lot of stage volume or room volume when you rehearse, you will definitely want to dial your preset in in the same type of scenario you plan to use it most - or else prepare to use the global EQ when you change volumes :)

Just to play devil's advocate here; I've never dialed in a preset at "full gig volume" in my life (for several reasons) and there's never been any issue. The soundman can EQ my tone as he sees fit. I think this advice came about more for people dialing in tube amps at bedroom volume and then cranking them when they get on stage and finding the tone becomes boomy and ice-picky... But, for instance, I practice to headphones or studio monitors at reasonable listening volume, we rehearse using headphones, and my band uses in-ears (I don't, but that's neither here nor there) - so, in a way I do dial stuff in at "gig volume," but that doesn't necessarily mean the volume that is coming through the PA speakers (since, again, soundman has robust EQ capabilities) or what you traditionally think of as gig volume.

But yes; if you play loudly and have a lot of stage volume or room volume when you rehearse, you will definitely want to dial your preset in in the same type of scenario you plan to use it most - or else prepare to use the global EQ when you change volumes :)

Fair points - In most of our gigs, we are our own sound guys, so I find that the tones that sound good to me at practice volumes need tweaking before they are "gig ready" and we don't always have someone actively monitoring our sound, so in my case it makes sense to do this leg work up front. That said - the global EQ tip is a good one and will give you the flexibility to make minor (or major) changes on the fly. Bottom line is, that you have to go through the motions and figure out what works for you. As you can see here, many different ways to approach.

I am trying a new setup tonight for our cover band… I actually downloaded Austin buddy”s pack…did a few tweaks.
using a morgan ac20 with York matchless cabs for clean
And a Soldano lead for …. Ac/Dc tone, to a Warren Haynes tone… thru to the 90’s… with York audio cabs and just using varying gain
Also fist time out with the OMG9 setup….
So basically two amps … I could have gone the Soldano clean amp…

Last edited:
I am trying a new setup tonight for our cover band… I actually downloaded Austin buddy”s pack…did a few tweaks.
using a morgan ac20 with York matchless cabs for clean
And a Soldano lead for …. Ac/Dc tone, to a Warren Haynes tone… thru to the 90’s… with York audio cabs and just using varying gain
Also fist time out with the OMG9 setup….
So basically two amps … I could have gone the Soldano clean amp…
If you can get away with two amps, you’ll give yourself the ability to use the remaining two amp channels to have different “versions” or “channels” of those amps without modifiers. Add in some extra modifiers, boosts, or drive pedals and you have yourself a very flexible ring. What York IRs are you using with the SLO?

If you can get away with two amps, you’ll give yourself the ability to use the remaining two amp channels to have different “versions” or “channels” of those amps without modifiers. Add in some extra modifiers, boosts, or drive pedals and you have yourself a very flexible ring. What York IRs are you using with the SLO?
I keep switching between the EVH, Blackjack, and Bogna… and a combo of two… I am sure this never happens here but… I keep going between mix cabs and the 57/121 singles… can’t decide what I like more

Back
Top Bottom