Wish Patch viewing without a unit connected.

I'd like to be able to view patch files shared by forum members without having a unit on hand and plugged in.

(I'm currently relying on the old free-ware previously provided by a generous forum member for a very long time whom shall henceforth not be bugged.)

If one made changes to a patch, it would not need to be able to save, but that certainly could be useful too.

Thanks.

I very seriously doubt that Fractal will do that, especially in this generation. The editor is basically just acting like a terminal for the modeler, which acts as a main-frame/host. Without the modeler the editor knows very little.

There's also an issue of Fractal protecting their intellectual property; With everything hidden inside the modeler it's a lot harder for people to pry into how Fractal works their magic.

In a time long long ago, the Axfx editor worked like that (Ultra era) - but as I recall, not that well. It was rebuilt with some turbulance during the transition as I recall. No offline mode now but we've enjoyed evolution and stability.

I very seriously doubt that Fractal will do that, especially in this generation. The editor is basically just acting like a terminal for the modeler, which acts as a main-frame/host. Without the modeler the editor knows very little.

There's also an issue of Fractal protecting their intellectual property; With everything hidden inside the modeler it's a lot harder for people to pry into how Fractal works their magic.
My guess was IP, understanding the "terminal" nature a bit, but also understanding that it's been done before. If it only works strictly as view of the units' state, and as a conduit for getting patches to the units, then I guess the explanation makes sense? Regardless, patch viewers are handy utilities when coming up with new ideas for patches. Thanks folks.

In a time long long ago, the Axfx editor worked like that (Ultra era) - but as I recall, not that well. It was rebuilt with some turbulance during the transition as I recall. No offline mode now but we've enjoyed evolution and stability.
You're right. It used to work that way years ago. But that caused issues. Improvements in the Axe-Fx had to be re-engineered in Axe-Edit to keep it in step with the hardware. That caused problems. It was difficult to update Axe-Edit in a timely manner and still maintain stability.

I miss the ability to examine and tweak presets without the hardware attached. I used that capability a lot. But I fully support Fractal's move away from that. It gives us an Axe-Edit that we can trust.

That worked up to a few major firmware versions into the Axe-Fx II (somewhere between fw4 and 6 would be my guess) and I enjoyed very much as well. Very sad to see it go, esp. as fans were louder back then as well. Actually, it mostly depends on the version of the editor and may still show presets from even later firmware fairly well.

If it was not FAS you would almost suspect they did it to have units wear down sooner, but indeed, there were too many issues where editor and Axe-Fx lost sync, which many were getting really tired of, incl. FAS -- maybe some of that was to blame on wonky USB driver software in some OS. After the change things did improve and there have been surprisingly few complaints or wishes like yours -- people understood it seemed necessary and easier for FAS.

IOW, best reply is from Rex -- Greg's feels a little pulled out of thin air...

Actually, if it would just be used purely for viewing, I suspect they could have kept that kind of functionality if they really wanted to. OTOH, this was also a time where only Cliff (and maybe just one extra programmer) did all the coding? (limited man power)

Last edited:
(I'm currently relying on the old free-ware previously provided by a generous forum member for a very long time whom shall henceforth not be bugged.)
…from my original post ;-)

Everything is a trade off in development. Not asking to prioritize over model accuracy and stability. Just a particularly handy thing to have on hand. And not so far off from mocking techniques when writing solid code. Many of us are relying on the tool “[that’s not] for [many],” so… 🤷🏻‍♂️

Have a great weekend everyone!

And yes! It's true, @AlGenadine's recently brought FracTool out of retirement. Before asking, you might want to follow the fine print in his signature. Lol.

Thanks Al!

Back
Top Bottom