Passive or Active atomics? which way should I go?

imselln

Hey Guys,
I'm currently running thru a vht 2502 into a 4x12. I am wanting to go frfr and can't decide if I should buy the passive or active atomics. I would really like to run in stereo. I am curious if you guys think I should go passive and power with the vht or shell out the big bucks for 2 active atomics. I guess I could sell the vht to help fund the actives but then I wouldn't have the option of running thru the 4x12, but maybe I wouldn't ever want to anymore. Anyway, what are your thoughts?

Thanks
Ed

Here's what I did. I had a Reactor and liked it very much but I also have a pair of 412 and 112 cabs that I also like to run occasionally with my ART SLA-2. I found a good deal on a pair of passive FBT Verve 12m's and bought those and sold the Reactor. I now can run the Verve's FR or the traditional cabs when I want.

I would keep the VHT and buy a pair of Passive Reactors and keep the cab and use the VHT a (very good and costly power amp) to power up the Reactors or your 412 when you need it... problem solved :mrgreen: .

Sixstring!! Hello, that´s what i´m looking for. A pair of Atomic passive, ART SLA-2 and a cabinet 4x12. But i´m also curious about the idea of a pair of FBT verve 12m passive instead of the Atomic passive. Did you compare them? was your Atomic passive? Which one do you think is more flat FRFR and in the room? Any comments??

Thanks Sixstring. I ordered 2 passive wedges yesterday. I'll let you know how they work out. I do hate waiting on the delivery....actually I love the suspense.

Ed

alga said:
Sixstring!! Hello, that´s what i´m looking for. A pair of Atomic passive, ART SLA-2 and a cabinet 4x12. But i´m also curious about the idea of a pair of FBT verve 12m passive instead of the Atomic passive. Did you compare them? was your Atomic passive? Which one do you think is more flat FRFR and in the room? Any comments??

I didn't get a chance to compare them side by side and the Reactor that I had was active. I based my decision on how others liked the FBT Verve 12mA so I took a chance when I found the deal on the 12m's thinking they would be the same sonically, so far I'm happy with the results. My guess is the passive Reactor is going to be really close to it's powered brother and that being said I would have to give the edge to the Reactor on sound of corse this is assuming your using a good power amp to power them with.

The Verve is very transparent when compared to some of the other passive monitors that I have played through, JBL, Mackie, Carvin, Yamaha and really like the coaxial speaker design as it lends to a nice coherent sweet spot when your up close. Ether way you go with these two I think you'll be happy as they both have something to offer and are very musical.

imselln said:
Thanks Sixstring. I ordered 2 passive wedges yesterday. I'll let you know how they work out. I do hate waiting on the delivery....actually I love the suspense.

Ed

Look forward to your review, those coupled with the VHT should be very nice ;) .

MESA 50/50 is a great power amp but more "colorful" than the VHT which is more "flat response".

Dutch said:
MESA 50/50 is a great power amp but more "colorful" than the VHT which is more "flat response".
working on the presence of the 50/50 and setting the Axe you think would help me? bump

mxr2000 said:
Dutch said:
working on the presence of the 50/50 and setting the Axe you think would help me? bump

Are you referring to the presence setting on the 50/50/?

If your going to be using power amp sims I would start with it at noon and tune the Axe from their at gig volumes.

Back
Top Bottom