Not a Bug Pan/Balance controls not separating stereo image when using two CABs

Piing

Axe-Master
I have noticed that when converting @Cooper Carter's Brit Floyd Division Bell and Another Brick presets to FM3.

The Axe-FX version has two CAB blocks with the Balance knobs fully panned L and R.

For the FM3 I had to use one single CAB block with two IRs fully panned L and R.

When I played the FM3 version it was WOW! This is true Stereo!!

I have made a preset for testing this phenomena.
  • Scene 1 has one single CAB with two IRs panned L and R. You can hear the stereo imaging.
  • Scene 2 has two CABs with the Balance controls panned L and R. Stereo field is cancelled.
  • Scene 3 has two CABs with both the Balance and the Pan controls panned L and R. Stereo field is cancelled.

Note: the CAB Pan and Balance controls are properly panning in Stereo when you set their Input Mode to Left and Right for both CAB blocks respectively, but I assume that it should work when setting it to Stereo. Otherwise, what is the difference between setting the input to "Stereo" or "Sum L+R" since it is summing them in both cases?

Attachments

• Two CABs Stereo Test.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Yes, i was just going to say that you were effectively ignoring the R input on the cab blocks. It sounds glorious btw! :D

Here is a bonus preset inspired on my experiment at the OP. Without CABs! :D

Attachments

• Look Ma No guitar!.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 9
I ran some tests : with a single cab, you can use the Piing trick ( https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/brit-floyds-another-brick-pt-2-presets.206474/post-2576293 ), but you can also use the Dual Chorus, with the Right Depth set to 0%. It's not exactly a Japan CE-2 but imho, it doesn't matter.
Now, I'm not even sure that the chorus needs to be before the cab. The same stereo trick sounds the same with the chorus after the cab. After all, a cab is nothing else than a very sophisticated EQ, it's not a time based effect, so the order shouldn't matter. And if I recall well, the Boss chorus pedal has a mode where the effect is panned to one side, the dry sound to the other.
And yes, the delay and reverb effect have a little mistake, bypass mode in both should not be set to "through" but "Mute Fx In" or "Mute Fx Out"

I ran some tests : with a single cab, you can use the Piing trick ( https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/brit-floyds-another-brick-pt-2-presets.206474/post-2576293 ), but you can also use the Dual Chorus, with the Right Depth set to 0%. It's not exactly a Japan CE-2 but imho, it doesn't matter.
Now, I'm not even sure that the chorus needs to be before the cab. The same stereo trick sounds the same with the chorus after the cab. After all, a cab is nothing else than a very sophisticated EQ, it's not a time based effect, so the order shouldn't matter. And if I recall well, the Boss chorus pedal has a mode where the effect is panned to one side, the dry sound to the other.
And yes, the delay and reverb effect have a little mistake, bypass mode in both should not be set to "through" but "Mute Fx In" or "Mute Fx Out"

Keep in mind, Edo built each of these Brit Floyd presets exactly to the specs he needed for the specific sound that preset is supposed to cover and nothing else.

Any "little mistakes" in them come from the fact that nothing is ever changed about them live. IOW, for example, the bypass mode of a block doesn't matter if it's never bypassed. Each preset is played untouched for one part, and then he switches to the next preset.

Last edited:
I haven't exactly matched these 5 tones. Anyone knows how to convert intervals between notes to percentages at the Sequencer?
If you're trying to make a synth arpeggiator, you can perhaps do this most easily by placing the modifier on the SHIFT parameter in the synth.
If not, you can do it easily enough by using a tuner to dial in values while the sequencer is set to PAUSE (Take notes!)
Here's an example preset (Axe-Fx III fw 26.00)

Attachments

• Pitch Sequence_20240715_113046.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Keep in mind, Edo built each of these Brit Floyd presets exactly to the specs he needed for the specific sound that preset is supposed to cover and nothing else.

Any "little mistakes" in them come from the fact that nothing is ever changed about them live. IOW, for example, the bypass mode of a block doesn't matter if it's never bypassed. Each preset is played untouched for one part, and then he switches to the next preset.
I get that, it's not a "mistake" per se. Those trying the presets, and bypassing those blocks to focus on the pure amp tone, just need to edit those blocks for the "correct" bypass" mode. We all have presets with stuff like that ;)

Thank you for your courage!
I had to take a deep breath and swallow my pride of tough guy 😅
Avoid The Office GIF

Back
Top Bottom