Palm mute strangness?

rsf1977_again

Power User
ok, I noticed this today. If I try to palm mute over a decaying note it sounds really anemic like it is barely even there until the decaying note is gone.

All the palm mute notes I'm playing over the decaying high note below are being played exactly the same and you can hear that it doesn't even sound like a palm mute until the decaying note is almost completely gone. Any ideas why this is happening? Thanks in advance :)

Preset and cabs:
View attachment 5153 & Recto HIGH GAIN (14.02).syx
View attachment Clark Kent's Gift UltraRes IR.syx
View attachment Clark Kent's Mesa SM57 UltraRes IR.syx

I actually posted about this in another thread. Something with the gain structure. I ran a Mesa Mark V the other day and it does NOT do it, even with the gain full up, so I'm not sure why everyone is saying 'turn the gain down'.

Your virtual cap almost gone. You have to have a virtual recap. ;)

Sorry, just jokin! It could be that real tube amp exibit some "sag", but to to this extent... :/
Try setting B+ caps to max. If it is sag, then this parameter will affect it.

ok, I noticed this today. If I try to palm mute over a decaying note it sounds really anemic like it is barely even there until the decaying note is gone.

All the palm mute notes I'm playing over the decaying high note below are being played exactly the same and you can hear that it doesn't even sound like a palm mute until the decaying note is almost completely gone. Any ideas why this is happening? Thanks in advance :)

Preset and cabs:
View attachment 21316
View attachment 21317
View attachment 21318

I have reproduced this on my real amp with high gain, so im guessing its normal or depends on the amp, here is the recording of a Mesa Boogie Express 5:50+ (little brother to the Mark V).

I actually posted about this in another thread. Something with the gain structure. I ran a Mesa Mark V the other day and it does NOT do it, even with the gain full up, so I'm not sure why everyone is saying 'turn the gain down'.

Because that's the answer for everything on here:

- My Axe-Fx keeps freezing. - "Have you tried turning the gain down?"

- The Multi-Delay is acting weird. - "Mine was too until I turned the gain down."

- Is the warranty transferable? - "It will be if you use less gain."

- Am I pretty? - "Turn the f#cking gain down!"

:mrgreen

- The Multi-Delay is acting weird. - "Mine was too until I turned the gain down."

Hahahha

Awesome.

I have reproduced this on my real amp with high gain, so im guessing its normal or depends on the amp, here is the recording of a Mesa Boogie Express 5:50+ (little brother to the Mark V).

thanks for doing the recording! I never noticed a real amp doing this. It's sort of funny that every little issue is a fire drill when I know it's software, but a real amp could be a hot mess of strange issues and we just call it "mojo" ;)

I had this exact same palm muting thing happen to me with some patch I made a while ago. Was wondering what it was too.

thanks for doing the recording! I never noticed a real amp doing this. It's sort of funny that every little issue is a fire drill when I know it's software, but a real amp could be a hot mess of strange issues and we just call it "mojo" ;)

Maybe the most accurate thing we've heard on this board. The number of *firedrills* outnumber the *real* by roughly 187 to 1.

Although, we have to check, don't we?

R

This is a type of intermodulation distortion. The more gain the more it will happen. Anything that generates distortion will due this more-or-less depending upon the input frequency shaping.

One technique to minimize it is to use two amps in parallel. You need to carefully choose and balance the two amps which can be tedious. I tried this live a few times with real amps but it didn't work well for me. I don't know how guys like Eric Johnson get it to work so easily.

Another easier technique is to use two of the exact same amp in parallel and split the signal into them using the Crossover block. I'd set the frequency around 400 Hz or so to start. This is a simple form of multiband distortion. The whole reason multiband distortion was developed was to avoid these intermodulation products. However we guitarists actually like some amount of intermodulation so multiband distortion never really caught on.

I often wonder what six amps, one for each string, would sound like.

Another easier technique is to use two of the exact same amp in parallel and split the signal into them using the Crossover block. I'd set the frequency around 400 Hz or so to start.

I've been trying to blend two amps to get my favorite low end and favorite top end amp tones to mix together.
I'm using two amp blocks, but can never get it to sound right. Never though of using the crossover, but it makes perfect sense.
Thanks for the tip!

Back
Top Bottom