OwnHammer Mid Gain Essentials

Spent the last couple of hours playing with this IR. Mid gain is where I live mostly so this is right up my alley. So far I just love it. Looking forward to hearing this in a band context!

OWNHAMMER rock, as always.

Brit800 (with OH DZL-RL LYN-BK EL34 421 03) and then Friedman HBE (with OH DZL-RL LYN-BK EL34 421 01) models.

What means "Midgain" - Collection - only for "normal" Amps like the Marshall Vintage, Soldano and 800 Amps?

This could be read one of two ways, so I'll answer both. :)

I am going to go all out with the HGE and MGE (and possibly the ---> LGE -->YES,YES,YES:encouragement:) libraries once I finish the 112 and 212 MIX stuff until I exhaust a lot of cab/speaker combinations in those sampling styles.
Please

Roland

Downloaded and auditioned some. My first cab purchase ever, so nothing too expensive to start with. Sounding good so far.

At the risk of appearing a stupid as I probably am what difference does the gain of an amp have to do with the way the speaker responds, and therefore the way the IR is made? I mean, I can play a high gain amp quietly, or a Twin really loudly. I would guess that the actual volume (how hard you are pushing the speaker) has more to do with the way the speaker responds than the gain of the amp, right?

Or to put it another way, why would the IR be different for a clean Twin at 88db than for any other amp at that same volume?

i think the difference is how the cabs are being mic'd. I don't think the MGE's even have a 57 in the mic collection, whereas the HGE does. I just purchased the MGE and it sounds killer, it's replaced all other cabs/combos for my Marshall patches. (just after I'd found a combo I love from the Vintage 4x12 collection, lol. of course it did) It's not that gain makes a difference in how the cab responds per se, but that you'd use different mic'ing techniques depending on which type of tone you were going for.

or i could be totally wrong and someone will correct me shortly....

i think the difference is how the cabs are being mic'd. I don't think the MGE's even have a 57 in the mic collection, whereas the HGE does. I just purchased the MGE and it sounds killer, it's replaced all other cabs/combos for my Marshall patches. (just after I'd found a combo I love from the Vintage 4x12 collection, lol. of course it did) It's not that gain makes a difference in how the cab responds per se, but that you'd use different mic'ing techniques depending on which type of tone you were going for.

or i could be totally wrong and someone will correct me shortly....
^^ this
it's aimed roughly at a certain amp tone to start with. super high gain stuff would for example be mic'ed differently to enhance that specific sound even further. same goes for clean amps or just overdriven tones. this isn't about volume but EQ. you wouldn't really use exactly the same mics and positions for high gain as you do for clean. this doesn't mean that one wouldn't work for the other though, it's just helping to start in a general ballpark.

^^ this
it's aimed roughly at a certain amp tone to start with. super high gain stuff would for example be mic'ed differently to enhance that specific sound even further. same goes for clean amps or just overdriven tones. this isn't about volume but EQ. you wouldn't really use exactly the same mics and positions for high gain as you do for clean. this doesn't mean that one wouldn't work for the other though, it's just helping to start in a general ballpark.

glad i wasn't totally in left field....lol

I'm loving these MGE IR's, instant tonal gratification for me.
Our FOH tech and monitor tech both loves and commented very positively the tones I'm getting with these.
Highly recommended !!

Just bought this morning to use as Ures

really really good sounding to me : tested with 2 presets for ac/dc sound with a Hiwatt amp and zztop with a Brit Pre amp models.
I made my presets with 2 Ures blocks now , panned +25/-25, using only the mixes, to keep it quick&dirty !
I very often select live05 and std05... => by far very good combo for these kind of "mid gain" tone.

i made a quick comparison with the OH marschall modern 4*12 i bough (and bough too the Bog 2*12, and the 2 HGE DZL & Mesa... love OH product, no ??), and I really love these IR that I find very full, thick and on spot for the mids, as I love.

make your ears a favor: take these !! u won't regret
Bruno

Last edited:
^^ this it's aimed roughly at a certain amp tone to start with. super high gain stuff would for example be mic'ed differently to enhance that specific sound even further. same goes for clean amps or just overdriven tones. this isn't about volume but EQ. you wouldn't really use exactly the same mics and positions for high gain as you do for clean. this doesn't mean that one wouldn't work for the other though, it's just helping to start in a general ballpark.

Cool. Thanks, guys.

Back
Top Bottom