Overkill Axe2+G-System

Jeries

Power User
For a while I've wanted a G-Major 2 to rack up with my Axe2 for studio use... kinda for the hell of it... no particular reason...

(I've owned Gmajor/gforce/gsystem/etc)

Long story short- I traded a guy a guitar I bought at a pawn shop 2 days ago for $120 for a G-system... pretty good score... i know

I was a long time g-system user (hum eliminators and everything- direct box/ts to trs cables/etc all that stuff)

[random fact- firmware date on my axe2= 3 days ago--- last firmware update for gsystem-- 2011- WE ARE ALL SPOILED!!!]

anyway-
how would YOU connect the two- I use the axe mostly for preamps

there's 100 ways i can do it...

i don't think i want to do 4cm with gsystem -

i'm thinking of running the gsystem in the effects send/return of the axe 2- and i can probably route it to go anywhere in the chain...

any thoughts/ideas?

anyone try this?

Yeah you can put the G-System in the loop of the AF, giving you the ability to place the G-System anywhere in the chain. But this just seems like over kill to me, unless you’re chasing something that unique.

John

cough...reverb...cough....

I like the idea of having set patches of JUST EFFECTS that can be added to any amp/tone...

Most of the time I'm using very dry tones w/ the axe

I kind of like the idea of keeping one tone and then switching effects around it on both ends- rather than switching entire presets or just bringing in certain pedals...

It's an idea I've had for a while...

also- considering the midi capability- I'm waiting to order an MFC-- and if MFC's are $750-1000- and used gsystems are $600-800... its not a bad value for what you get and what it does- while I wait for an MFC.

and most importantly when i get board with it in a month- i can sell it for twice what that guitar was worth used.

Interesting. The way I'd probably hook it up is either 4cm or in the effects loop of your Axe Fx. And yes, you could definitely use this as a foot controller for your Axe Fx as well. One thing it would add for you is the ability to hook up external pedals easily. Lets say you wanted to run a POG pedal. You could set that in of the pedal loops of the G-System and switch that on and off with the G-System. This is functionality you won't be able to replicate easily with the AF2/MFC so you can definitely get some additional benefits with this setup.

the loops would be great if is till had preamps too- like jmp1/triaxis/mp1/psa1/etc but they're all gone

Yeah, going for a G-System/AF2 setup for the looper functionality alone would indeed be overkill. If you wanted the pedal loop function, I'd probably be looking at something like the Disasterarea Amps Smart Loop instead: SMARTLoop | Disaster Area Designs that can enable/disable effects loops with midi. Using one of those, you could add 2 stereo pedals in the effects loop of your AF2 and enable/disable them via midi.

I was also thinking in this way. But more of having the G-system as a pedalboard instead of my MFC....

AAEN

Last edited:
the axe and gsystem aren't playing well together

they don't like eachother

the effects in the gsystem aren't as great as i remember them- and the presets aren't "me" at all

my computer also doesn't like both of them via usb- and its raising hell

i think the gsystems got to go

Keeping the Axe or keeping the G-System, seems like a no-brainer to me :) And with that good score on the G-System in the first place, plenty of money towards an MFC when you sell it.

The guys at Tour Supply have me on speed dial when the MFC's are back in stock- I'm going to get a Mk2 Axe too...

obiously the Gsystem is gone and i'm keeping the axe--- its not a bad unit- all my preamps of late are coming from axe- and i'm not turning on the real amps- so you know... no brainer

Back
Top Bottom