Overdrive Block or Amp Block

andyp13

Power User
I like a cleanish rhythm sound and my guitar (fitted with 2x sa and 1x Humbucker 89 all EMGs and a mid boost) cleans up quite well when using the 808 block into the shiver amp.with the volume up and even with the drive in the 808 set to minimum it is quite dirty (maybe a little too much) however, When I kick in my humbucker (along with mid boost) it really drives.
IV tried a few different amps without an overdrive block to try and recreate the same thing but without success, I just can't seem to get the amp to clean up enough or drive enough (though I have not tried all amps - there's so many.
Does anyone have any suggestions on an amp that cleans up well but also drives when pushed (without being thin and harsh)
Does anyone use two amps on X/Y - one for clean and one for overdrive etc....

My main problem is the volume difference between clean (vol backed off) and vol up full... I tried a compressor but didn't like the way it altered my tone.

Have you tried a Compressor after the amp, and just a little bit? That should let your guitar interact with the amp naturally but reduce the actual volume difference.

There is also the compressor on the Amp Dynamics page that I would think would do exactly what you want, but I have not worked with it enough to give advice on that.

And, yes, the Saturation thingy newly on the Amp Basic page seems very cool.

Thanks for the advice guys, I will have an experiment with the saturation etc.....
AllanH - I tried the Komet 60 amp and was blown away with it.... I'm getting there (slowly)
I felt the Komet cleaned up better than using the 808 and Shiver amp... I just need to spend more time with it to warm it up a little and level it out slightly (from clean to dirty).
Any more help, suggestions welcome ��

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys, I will have an experiment with the saturation etc.....
AllanH - I tried the Komet 60 amp and was blown away with it.... I'm getting there (slowly)
I felt the Komet cleaned up better than using the 808 and Shiver amp... I just need to spend more time with it to warm it up a little and level it out slightly (from clean to dirty).

I tend to use an old school approach of using the volume on the guitar to go from clean'ish to a dirven tone and then kick on boost to push things further and alter the EQ (think TS808 here) slightly at the same time (or use a transparent boost like the FET drive to just push the amp without altering the EQ much if at all). If the Komet model seems a little too bright or strident, that might actually help when you back down the guitar volume to get a cleaner sound (stays clear). I tend to setup the amp to have a little extra treble for this reason and then back my tone knob on the guitar down just a bit when running the volume full up to address this.. then turn the volume down and the tone up for a clean part.

I've never used EMG pickups so I'm not sure how they react (if any different) to this approach.. I've always used low to mid-output passive pickups..

I tend to use an old school approach of using the volume on the guitar to go from clean'ish to a dirven tone and then kick on boost to push things further and alter the EQ (think TS808 here) slightly at the same time (or use a transparent boost like the FET drive to just push the amp without altering the EQ much if at all). If the Komet model seems a little too bright or strident, that might actually help when you back down the guitar volume to get a cleaner sound (stays clear). I tend to setup the amp to have a little extra treble for this reason and then back my tone knob on the guitar down just a bit when running the volume full up to address this.. then turn the volume down and the tone up for a clean part.

I've never used EMG pickups so I'm not sure how they react (if any different) to this approach.. I've always used low to mid-output passive pickups..

I get what you are saying but (you may need to sit down) I don't have a tone on my guitar, I tried to use the 'frequency' thing in the amp but with not much success, I gues it will have to be a compromise between duller clean and too right lead... I'm sure I will eventually get ther.
My problem is that I am more a player than a programmer...I loose my ears after a very short time and loose what I was originally going for, as a result I just revert back to my original patch and off to the gig I go....I do like my sound, but I know there's a better one in the Axe I just don't seem to have the patience to find it - IV got one patch which I use and lots of nearly theres.

Good to hear you like it. As suggested, play with the saturation to find the spot that suits you, also find the right level of master volume for your preference. I played some on the silver brit, it cleans up very nice as well, but ends up more aggressive than the Komet.

The Komet 60 is a great sound, I have compared it's overdriven sound with my 808 and Shiver amp blocks....and the Komet has a slightly more spongie feel to it - which I love, I'm still fine tuning and plucking up the courage to try it live.....
I tried the character to help warm it up when I dig in but could not really get it right, also added a bit of compression in the amp block to help level out the sound between backed off volume clean and full on volume (and humbucker) dirty. Getting there any more tips would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom