Overcoming Stage Fright

Silly me...here I thought "fuel in the tank" meant do a hit of speed before going on stage....but then I'm like...boy that sure is a 50/50 shot (pun intended) of instant paranoia or total loss of inhibition.
šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚

I'm thinking a full stomach and severe stage fright could cause the front row to have an experience as if they went to see Gallagher.... probably not the best advice.... honestly.

Haha! Yeah, I am not sure how anxiety and a full tummy is ever a good idea. :)

I could NEVER eat before a gig. I felt like I played better when I was hungry. Digesting
food is a massive energy drain on the body (one of the reasons napping feels good after
a big meal). I loved to eat after a gig, though. Those 3 or 4 am meals were some of the
best.

Definitely stay hydrated, though!! :)
TBH,

There were times when I might feel weak in the extremities, with a tight throat. However, if I'd already eaten a modest meal (read: full stomach) with a carbonated water (to quell any stomach distress) and allowed an hour between eating and playing, my mind was sharp, my fingers able to play my set of songs. It wasn't "anxiety" specifically, just pre-stage jitters up to and including perhaps the first several verses of the 1st song.

Once the cameras began to flash, my legs strengthened up, my smile was more evident, I could see my audience more clearly as individuals I'd look at, instead of the entire group. Although crowd background noise still contributes to stage fright, once the music is my focus, it's easier to play cleanly and accurately.

Although it's exciting, my memory of these things sometimes causes the associated nightmares once I walk out into the night, drive home and sleep at night. It's mostly because I usually dream of running out of gas in my car, and not being able to hear anything as I walk in the cold, home. It's because of my being right there with the mic. The nightmare is very much like MJ's Thriller. It's also one reason I don't sing. Talk between songs so as to introduce or tell a story, but my singing isn't good.

You think you had stage fright? This was both a double-whammy, once on stage, and once in bed while dreaming.

Last edited:
Thing that always bugged me was getting an itch on my arm and not being able to scratch it. Damn soap. Last time I took a shower the day of a gig! :tearsofjoy:
Thx, that partially makes me feel better. I think it was same night that "Survivor" was on TV. You can understand how my mind processes stuff sometimes. I think the lack of confidence is what sets things in motion. If I had a stronger sense of being able to listen well to the house band, and filter out the crowd noise, there might be better hope.

Anyway, the host of the jam did encourage me by saying, "Just tell your story the best you can. You don't have to take any wooden nickels." (I didn't tell him the story I'm telling you folks here. His words did make me feel better.)

Last edited:
Sometimes I think out loud and connect my thoughts when I speak, in kind of a stream of consciousness. To some, it seems unusual until they hear a conclusion, but I personally sense it's sometimes a waste of time trying to chase a conversation and try to understand what they said. (TBH, I tend to overanalyze.) The key is to realize that sometimes what people say are conflicted and unclear. I'd normally laugh it off, but I usually don't laugh at what has more serious content to it than humor.

Your soap scratch I heard as Nugent's Cat Scratch Fever. Correct me if I'm wrong.

(TBH, I tend to overanalyze.)
NOOO! (sorry, couldn't resist; all in good fun.)
Your soap scratch I heard as Nugent's Cat Scratch Fever. Correct me if I'm wrong.
:tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: Uh, no, not that.

Not that I can actually remember it happening, but sometimes when I'm practicing I get an itch that cannot be ignored. So in my own, sometimes overly-contemplative mind, I wonder, Do guys like Petrucci, when he's in the middle of some blazingly-complex solo, the ones where he steps onto the monitor and rests his guitar on his leg, ever get an itch so bad it breaks his concentration? :tearsofjoy:

So I'm guilty of letting your, make-sure-you-eat-before-you-play, PSA thread, allow my own mind to wander towards something completely stupid and irrelevant.
I'll see myself out now. :tearsofjoy:

Not that I can actually remember it happening, but sometimes when I'm practicing I get an itch that cannot be ignored. So in my own, sometimes overly-contemplative mind, I wonder, Do guys like Petrucci, when he's in the middle of some blazingly-complex solo, the ones where he steps onto the monitor and rests his guitar on his leg, ever get an itch so bad it breaks his concentration? :tearsofjoy:

So I'm guilty of letting your, make-sure-you-eat-before-you-play, PSA thread, allow my own mind to wander towards something completely stupid and irrelevant.

Pretty sure John is wondering if his signature Beard Oil is making his beard glisten properly in
the house lighting. ;)

john-petruccis-nebula-beard-oil-50ml-beard-oil-captain-fawcett-limited-528341_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Sometimes I think out loud and connect my thoughts when I speak, in kind of a stream of consciousness. To some, it seems unusual until they hear a conclusion, but I personally sense it's sometimes a waste of time trying to chase a conversation and try to understand what they said. (TBH, I tend to overanalyze.) The key is to realize that sometimes what people say are conflicted and unclear. I'd normally laugh it off, but I usually don't laugh at what has more serious content to it than humor.

Have we arrived at the conclusion yet?

Alcohol helps me. Trick is drinking just enough to loosen up without killing my finger coordination.. 2 coors light right before I go on is my recipe. I donā€™t get stage fright per se but just a bit of nerves and I find I play too stiffly. Couple beers I loosen up and have way more fun even if my technique suffers a little bit.

Dude, you ever try growing your beard out? Mine hit the top of my chest at one point and the longer it gets, the itchier it gets. It levels out once your skin is used to it.

That dude DEFINITELY had a few itches along the way!!! :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Dude, you ever try growing your beard out? Mine hit the top of my chest at one point and the longer it gets, the itchier it gets. It levels out once your skin is used to it.

That dude DEFINITELY had a few itches along the way!!! :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
Yeah I've heard that, like the pain you get in your side when you're running that goes away if you keep going, the itching will pass if you keep letting it grow, but I can't make it past about 10 days before it drives me crazy. He must've grown it past that point while they were off the road!

IMO, it was a viewpoint of empty vs. full. Not having enough fuel in the tank (either literally or symbolically). This might be a side issue that is not of as much importance.

I'll post in the Lounge other issues that might be making their rounds that we might need to be aware of.

Now that Iā€™ve read the rest of your posts I can certainly see the intent of the OP.

That is something Iā€™ve spent the better half of my life focused on and Iā€™ll defer back to meditation as thatā€™s what ultimately allowed me to change my perspective and view my life and self as abundant. I would imagine you would find a lot of Buddhism to be quite interesting as they are many aspects of it that very much get into the duality of life, good/bad, full/empty, etc. Those teachings are really what got me through the last two years of my life.

In the past couple months Iā€™ve started doing some reading on dzogchen, which is a non-duality/singular way of thinking that Iā€™m trying to wrap my head around a bit more. I think in essence, the very, very general idea is that once you come to embrace the empty as much as you do the full, youā€™re coming from a dzogchen POV, but I havenā€™t gotten into it enough to discuss it without sounding like a moron.

Any familiarity the Hua-Yen form of Buddishm? Flourished in parts of China and Korea, and
is not as well known as some of the forms that came out of Tibet in the 20th Century. It's
brilliant, and a bit like an acid trip in book form. Very akin to a lot of the non-dual concepts
put forth in Dozgchen.

Not a lot of literature out there on it, but these two are both brilliant.

51nhCJNK-VL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51oTQrRmh9L._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_FMwebp_.jpg

Any familiarity the Hua-Yen form of Buddishm? Flourished in parts of China and Korea, and
is not as well known as some of the forms that came out of Tibet in the 20th Century. It's
brilliant, and a bit like an acid trip in book form. Very akin to a lot of the non-dual concepts
put forth in Dozgchen.

Not a lot of literature out there on it, but these two are both brilliant.

51nhCJNK-VL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51oTQrRmh9L._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_FMwebp_.jpg

Iā€™m not familiar but added these to the list of books to pick up. Hell, I love acid and I love Buddhism, this sounds like a match made in heaven.

Alcohol helps me. Trick is drinking just enough to loosen up without killing my finger coordination.. 2 coors light right before I go on is my recipe. I donā€™t get stage fright per se but just a bit of nerves and I find I play too stiffly. Couple beers I loosen up and have way more fun even if my technique suffers a little bit.
Of course, but very much in moderation; 1 drink per evening with dinner or towards bedtime, per doctor's orders. (Half glass wine, or 1 beer, seldom a gin or tequila w/ club soda/lime). Since my former open-mic folded back in 2014, the social drinking discontinued, but I prefer to enjoy relaxing at home and a drink.
Now that Iā€™ve read the rest of your posts I can certainly see the intent of the OP.

That is something Iā€™ve spent the better half of my life focused on and Iā€™ll defer back to meditation as thatā€™s what ultimately allowed me to change my perspective and view my life and self as abundant. I would imagine you would find a lot of Buddhism to be quite interesting as they are many aspects of it that very much get into the duality of life, good/bad, full/empty, etc. Those teachings are really what got me through the last two years of my life.

In the past couple months Iā€™ve started doing some reading on dzogchen, which is a non-duality/singular way of thinking that Iā€™m trying to wrap my head around a bit more. I think in essence, the very, very general idea is that once you come to embrace the empty as much as you do the full, youā€™re coming from a dzogchen POV, but I havenā€™t gotten into it enough to discuss it without sounding like a moron.
I appreciate your mindset regards seeking inner peace. I try to do the same, but from a scriptural studies POV. Sometimes, what I discover during the process has a much greater encompassing view when seen envisioned from several viewpoints. (That's my analytical training.)

My feeling is that things that enhance one's life, like seasoning foods in the right amount, are all ingredients of how we take in and process what we view and read. (You can tell part of my training is cooking). When you suggest meditating, in one sense, I take in what I view and read, digest it, absorb it, meditate about it, and then try to apply what I've previously learned. There's a lot of placing oneself in the scenes of what I read, much like my post about the Cherokee Grandfather. Some of my inner peace I derive from simple principles of what I've studied. Many of my local friends also have a similar view.

I try to think that what I take in is much more than "word salad" that has deeper meaning. Although much of my current study involves very serious topics, there is very much humor when trying to make it more palatable to the common listener. Fortunately, my vocabulary is much better than someone who writes "word salad." LOL.

I've not heard of dzogchen myself, but I'll look it up. I personally try to avoid stuff like transcendental meditation, because my studies have suggested it can open pathways to the demonic realm. FTR, I'm not speaking from personal experience, just what my studies have suggested I should try to avoid. I probably don't mind, however, spending a few minutes of clearing my thoughts and some focused deep breathing to relax with.

I've also discovered that a lot of seeking inner peace also involves maintaining a positive view of the future. No, not Star Trek, nor some science fiction. A lot of what matters to me is a hope for a better world in the future. There are many scientists who are very much concerned about the future, but much of what I study is dependent on the strength of my faith. Like you, I searched for ways to cope with my negative emotions because I wanted a better life, researching various belief systems and some self-help books. I even spent time doing some soul-searching with a therapist to help work through the emotional baggage.

Yet, there wasn't anything that worked consistently. Yet, in 2006, I was introduced to something I'd not been aware of before, and after a couple years of study, it became my way of life. And then strange thing is, as I've gained experience with my studies, some of what my comments are when my "friends" study together are insightful and sometimes are glimpses of what we study in the future. It's more than coincidence, it's pretty darn cool to see one's words show up in one of our articles that I answered several weeks prior. And, I've seldom if ever looked into future articles that would indicate I "peaked" at our notes beforehand.

Anyway, I'm sure I've said way too much and have you folks snoring at this stage.

Regards the stage fright, though perhaps the best teacher for me is to look to my personal past history to understand where I've succeeded, and failed, and then ask why? How can I apply life's lessons from history? What principles can I adopt that don't go against the "law," nor cause division or conflict?

Perhaps by seeking inner peace, one can also exude a peaceful personality that helps people appreciate the importance listening to that inner voice that directs your thoughts and actions. If one has studied well, you'll know within yourself what produces good results, and what doesn't. Perhaps its the decisions we make after consulting what we've previously studied, for direction and guidance.

Sorry if this sounds a lot like preaching to you. It's part of what I know and speak to my local friends about regularly, and is what I enjoy doing when not occupied with separate responsibilities. Thank you for reading, and enjoy the rest of your evenings...

Of course, but very much in moderation; 1 drink per evening with dinner or towards bedtime, per doctor's orders. (Half glass wine, or 1 beer, seldom a gin or tequila w/ club soda/lime). Since my former open-mic folded back in 2014, the social drinking discontinued, but I prefer to enjoy relaxing at home and a drink.

I appreciate your mindset regards seeking inner peace. I try to do the same, but from a scriptural studies POV. Sometimes, what I discover during the process has a much greater encompassing view when seen envisioned from several viewpoints. (That's my analytical training.)

My feeling is that things that enhance one's life, like seasoning foods in the right amount, are all ingredients of how we take in and process what we view and read. (You can tell part of my training is cooking). When you suggest meditating, in one sense, I take in what I view and read, digest it, absorb it, meditate about it, and then try to apply what I've previously learned. There's a lot of placing oneself in the scenes of what I read, much like my post about the Cherokee Grandfather. Some of my inner peace I derive from simple principles of what I've studied. Many of my local friends also have a similar view.

I try to think that what I take in is much more than "word salad" that has deeper meaning. Although much of my current study involves very serious topics, there is very much humor when trying to make it more palatable to the common listener. Fortunately, my vocabulary is much better than someone who writes "word salad." LOL.

I've not heard of dzogchen myself, but I'll look it up. I personally try to avoid stuff like transcendental meditation, because my studies have suggested it can open pathways to the demonic realm. FTR, I'm not speaking from personal experience, just what my studies have suggested I should try to avoid. I probably don't mind, however, spending a few minutes of clearing my thoughts and some focused deep breathing to relax with.

I've also discovered that a lot of seeking inner peace also involves maintaining a positive view of the future. No, not Star Trek, nor some science fiction. A lot of what matters to me is a hope for a better world in the future. There are many scientists who are very much concerned about the future, but much of what I study is dependent on the strength of my faith. Like you, I searched for ways to cope with my negative emotions because I wanted a better life, researching various belief systems and some self-help books. I even spent time doing some soul-searching with a therapist to help work through the emotional baggage.

Yet, there wasn't anything that worked consistently. Yet, in 2006, I was introduced to something I'd not been aware of before, and after a couple years of study, it became my way of life. And then strange thing is, as I've gained experience with my studies, some of what my comments are when my "friends" study together are insightful and sometimes are glimpses of what we study in the future. It's more than coincidence, it's pretty darn cool to see one's words show up in one of our articles that I answered several weeks prior. And, I've seldom if ever looked into future articles that would indicate I "peaked" at our notes beforehand.

Anyway, I'm sure I've said way too much and have you folks snoring at this stage.

Regards the stage fright, though perhaps the best teacher for me is to look to my personal past history to understand where I've succeeded, and failed, and then ask why? How can I apply life's lessons from history? What principles can I adopt that don't go against the "law," nor cause division or conflict?

Perhaps by seeking inner peace, one can also exude a peaceful personality that helps people appreciate the importance listening to that inner voice that directs your thoughts and actions. If one has studied well, you'll know within yourself what produces good results, and what doesn't. Perhaps its the decisions we make after consulting what we've previously studied, for direction and guidance.

Sorry if this sounds a lot like preaching to you. It's part of what I know and speak to my local friends about regularly, and is what I enjoy doing when not occupied with separate responsibilities. Thank you for reading, and enjoy the rest of your evenings...

Everyoneā€™s got their own path and in the end, the majority of religions point down the same road with the same end-goal, inner peace.

That one line about seeking inner peace and exuding a peaceful personality is quite spot on; I was not in a good way about 6 months ago with my marriage ending the way it did. I was hellbent on shutting myself down from the world and closing off my heart for good. In a discussion with a great friend of mine one night, as I ranted away about how I was going to close myself off from the world, all she said was ā€œThen youā€™ll never get it back.ā€ and it was all I needed to spin me in the right direction. From that night forward, I chose to interact with everyone as if I wanted nothing more than joy and happiness in their life. That changed my entire life because it changed the way people interacted with me.

For the year prior to that, I had become quite cold and, for good reason, people didnā€™t really want to socialize with me. After a couple weeks of changing my perspective on things, instead of seeing people leave the room when Iā€™d walk in or pretend to be busy, Iā€™d see a smile instead. Mainly at work, where I have to go out and communicate with our tenants regularly (commercial property management). My office is now the place people come when theyā€™re looking for advice, which I really enjoy and has shown me that because of the way I handled myself when the dust settled, I was exuding a positivity that showed others ā€œHey, this dude was able to pull his head out of his ass and find happiness after he was miserable for so long.ā€

I can assure you, there are no demons that come along with meditating, just peace and clarity. Thereā€™s a wonderful Nietzsche quote-
ā€œBattle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.ā€ Where you apply your focus is where youā€™ll get the return. The grass isnā€™t greener on the other side, the grass is greener where it gets watered. Think postive and positivity will think of you. Thereā€™s a million ways to say it and every religionā€™s got itā€™s own way of saying it.

Thereā€™s a book you may find interesting, Iā€™ve given out nearly 20 copies of it over the years and itā€™s very much had my back when Iā€™ve felt lost; The Science Of Mind by Ernest Holmes. Itā€™s religious science, without really being religious. Anyone from any walk of life can read it and thereā€™s nothing in it directed at taking one away from their path, itā€™s all geared towards walking your path with greater intent and efficiency. It gets into how and why prayer/meditation works, as theyā€™re very much one in the same. It can be hard to get into a deeper discussion on it via forums where religion is a no-no, so Iā€™ll leave it at that, but like I said, it serves to only strengthen the relationship you have with the path your on.

Back
Top Bottom