Overcoming Stage Fright

bleujazz3

Fractal Fanatic
Although I don't sing, I used to have an inordinate fear of speaking over a crowd of people on stage. I used to be that if you were in the crowd, you couldn't hear folks on stage unless they had a mic and PA.

How did I solve the perplexing fear? I made sure I had "fuel in my tank." I learned a good lesson about what happens when you step up on stage without anything in your tank.

My brother taught me this, by way of humor & terrifying illustration. He said, "Did you run out of fuel?" Never again will I be afraid of the mic!

Ah yeah, I stopped rubbing one out before shows, too.
No, I don't think you understand. It's fear of the mic. Also, being sure I felt that I eaten before playing. Not having any "fuel in the tank" was a nightmare. What would calm me down is when audience members would use their camera flash. It subconsciously had an effect that would make me smile despite of being nervous when just beginning to play. I'd also bring a bottle of water to quell any tight throat issues. In effect, it was almost the difference between "empty" and "full," or being "broke" and having money. You may not immediately understand, but given the experience and time, you will be able to hear it.
^^^ Heck, that's PART of the show LOL 💪

No, I don't think you understand. It's fear of the mic. Also, being sure I felt that I eaten before playing. Not having any "fuel in the tank" was a nightmare. What would calm me down is when audience members would use their camera flash. It subconsciously had an effect that would make me smile despite of being nervous when just beginning to play. I'd also bring a bottle of water to quell any tight throat issues. In effect, it was almost the difference between "empty" and "full," or being "broke" and having money. You may not immediately understand, but given the experience and time, you will be able to hear it.

No, I don’t think you understand I was being a wiseass.

I went down this road some 25 years ago when I first started gigging, first the initial stage fright of just being a guitar player, then when I was 21 and playing in a prog-metal band, our singer quit 2 weeks before a string of paid gigs. I was shitting myself over learning how to play AND sing those parts at the same time when just one of us screwing up could throw everyone else off.

Like I’ve used it for everything else in life, meditation saved the day. Whether it was focusing on how to pull off what I had to or getting over the nerves, 20 minutes not thinking of anything at all solved all my problems.

No, I don’t think you understand I was being a wiseass.

I went down this road some 25 years ago when I first started gigging, first the initial stage fright of just being a guitar player, then when I was 21 and playing in a prog-metal band, our singer quit 2 weeks before a string of paid gigs. I was shitting myself over learning how to play AND sing those parts at the same time when just one of us screwing up could throw everyone else off.

Like I’ve used it for everything else in life, meditation saved the day. Whether it was focusing on how to pull off what I had to or getting over the nerves, 20 minutes not thinking of anything at all solved all my problems.
Welcome, Eeyor.

I'd think to try to ask myself if I've got the basics: bread, eggs, and milk. Other than that, I'm content. ;)

Welcome, Eeyor.

I'd think to try to ask myself if I've got the basics: bread, eggs, and milk. Other than that, I'm content. ;)

Yeah, I’m going to go with reply #1: huh?

I can’t say I’ve ever needed to be reminded or remind myself to eat before a gig, if that’s even what you’re talking about. I eat when I’m hungry, which most often occurs well before gigging hours. Since stage fright is a psychological/mental ‘issue’ and since I know when to eat, I took a psychological/mental route to get over the stage fright.

But if making grocery lists helps, do it up.

Yeah, I’m going to go with reply #1: huh?

I can’t say I’ve ever needed to be reminded or remind myself to eat before a gig, if that’s even what you’re talking about. I eat when I’m hungry, which most often occurs well before gigging hours. Since stage fright is a psychological/mental ‘issue’ and since I know when to eat, I took a psychological/mental route to get over the stage fright.

But if making grocery lists helps, do it up.
IMO, it was a viewpoint of empty vs. full. Not having enough fuel in the tank (either literally or symbolically). This might be a side issue that is not of as much importance.

I'll post in the Lounge other issues that might be making their rounds that we might need to be aware of.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this thread. Can someone stop me right now, please. :)
It's about, um..., I think, um..., eating. Like, before you play a gig. Is there a 30 minute rule, like when swimming?
But seriously..., I've never been able to do anything about stage fright. Just put a few easy songs up front, and once the set is going, it goes away.

It's about, um..., I think, um..., eating. Like, before you play a gig. Is there a 30 minute rule, like when swimming?
But seriously..., I've never been able to do anything about stage fright. Just put a few easy songs up front, and once the set is going, it goes away.
Perhaps I'm rehearsing for my next open-mic, but I discovered something that you may also find interesting. It recently involved the difference between feeling empty, and full. "Empty" may be the pessimistic side of things. "Hope" may be the opposite. "Tired" vs. "Enduring." "Hungry" vs. "Full." "Poor" vs. "Rich." "Hurt" vs. "Comforted."

I heard all of this at my recent open-mic a couple weeks ago, how house band and guest musicians lamented that they were broke, or coming off an injury, or a string of bad choices or bad luck. I wondered how much of it was true. These were not necessarily blues musicians, but blues and folk guitarists who either played traditional blues/folks songs, or wrote their own songs. The summation was that of feeling empty vs. full.

It was somewhat difficult for me to identify with the musicians, though in the past, my life was much like how they described theirs. Then, I wondered about the bigger picture we see today in the news. How much of what we take in is bad news or misinformation. I realized that what we feed gets the most response, and I then discovered this from my wealth of images I keep for reference for apropos times:

You'll pardon my waxing poetic, but today my feelings are introspective. Sometimes what we feed can be unhealthy, or lead to unhealthy things. The other brings the opposite.

oP0ngCA.jpg

Silly me...here I thought "fuel in the tank" meant do a hit of speed before going on stage....but then I'm like...boy that sure is a 50/50 shot (pun intended) of instant paranoia or total loss of inhibition.
😂🤣😂

I'm thinking a full stomach and severe stage fright could cause the front row to have an experience as if they went to see Gallagher.... probably not the best advice.... honestly.

I use to sip on 1 1/2oz of good cognac-lasted thru 4 sets. when not available, like the ever popular dive bar-Beer works fine.
Always being the lead singer or co-lead singer, I get the nerves part.
No mind game exist that can help me convince my brain of something-just don't work for me.

Silly me...here I thought "fuel in the tank" meant do a hit of speed before going on stage....but then I'm like...boy that sure is a 50/50 shot (pun intended) of instant paranoia or total loss of inhibition.
😂🤣😂

I'm thinking a full stomach and severe stage fright could cause the front row to have an experience as if they went to see Gallagher.... probably not the best advice.... honestly.

Haha! Yeah, I am not sure how anxiety and a full tummy is ever a good idea. :)

I could NEVER eat before a gig. I felt like I played better when I was hungry. Digesting
food is a massive energy drain on the body (one of the reasons napping feels good after
a big meal). I loved to eat after a gig, though. Those 3 or 4 am meals were some of the
best.

Definitely stay hydrated, though!! :)

Back
Top Bottom