Over 90% is bad?

Steinmetzify

Inspired
Had a buddy send me some presets earlier this evening. BADASS, and I loved em. Used em on a track, but there was some static. I went thru the usual rigamarole including changing batteries in the EMG equipped guitar I was using, changing cables, adjusting the gate and output levels, etc....it was still there.

The patch I was using was running two amps into one cab, with a drive in front and a PEQ in between amp and cab, along with a bit of reverb. I noticed a bit of static during the recording and mostly at the end, which you can hear here:

I got rid of the extra amp (which according to my bro was just adding a little bit of mids in the first place) and killed the reverb and it took it down to about 89%, which got rid of the static.

My question is, is this a pretty much well known hard and fast rule? Over 85% or so and it'll clip and have static? Just wondering so as to avoid this for future presets, just in case...

Thanks.

S

90% is a good limit. rarely you can hit 94% and it won't have that glitch sound, but aim for 90%.

a major way you can reduce CPU is simply by changing cabs from Ultra or High Res to Normal res. there are lots of other CPU saving tips in the wiki.

100% is a true 100%, and the axe has to power the display, keep the system running etc, so that's the 10% left after you hit 90.

If you don't use any esoteric or atmospheric reverb, I would suggest to put the Quality to "Normal" (if you haven't already) to save some CPU.
That way maybe you can keep your cabs in UR.

I had a stock preset that was crackling in the 95% range and i chilled it out by deleting blocks that were on standby that I knew I wouldn't use. If you know there is a wha or flanger or tremolo that you will unlikely use remove the block entirely.

I have one preset that is perfect but on the edge of 90%+. As mentioned, removing USB connection kept me in the safe zone, just around 87-90% range. I may need to use my Fasttrack interface to pass other audio thru then. I can't change this preset at all. ie, it needs the HQ in the reverb. My 2¢.

I have one preset that is perfect but on the edge of 90%+. As mentioned, removing USB connection kept me in the safe zone, just around 87-90% range. I may need to use my Fasttrack interface to pass other audio thru then. I can't change this preset at all. ie, it needs the HQ in the reverb. My 2¢.

Careful with presets that have changing parameters in them (i.e. via x/y, scenes, modifiers). Such patches may increase in cpu usage after initial load, once parameters start to get "exercised".

Every time I post a question there's just MAD help in this place. Singularly the most helpful forum I've ever joined. Thanks a lot for the tips, guys. Marked for later so I don't keep asking the same questions lol.

90 is the new 100 ;)

Absolutely. As I am approaching 75%, I'm starting to plan what compromises I might be up against to complete the preset.
Most of the time I end up getting what I set out to accomplish when I hit 90%. Truth is, I have no complaints. FW18 always delivers, you just end up taking a different road to get there.

Changing compressor types can put a fair amount of CPU back, as well.

It seems to me that if I'm using USB connection to the computer, for Axe-Edit, I can't quite go as high as I might have, without being connected. I most often am hooked to A-E when in the home studio. This is just an FYI; not sure if this is the case for everyone. I've tried to delete some the stuff I "might" use from most of my presets, but I usually prefer the higher quality UR's, cabs, reverbs and delays, so that's mostly the route I've gone.

I try to not hit 90%, at all - to keep things clean. If I get too close that mark, I delete some "might use" blocks, and stick to what I "need".

So if you just set up a preset .with say a Cry--drv--flanger--Amp--412(UR)-- delay --verb how much CPU% will that use ??

Back
Top Bottom