Output settings... throubleshooting

Rotti

Fractal Fanatic
I recently picked up a used XL. In the past (with a Mk2) I've run output2 into a poweramp & cab so that output1 left me free to use headphones for late night jams.

I can't get sound out of output1's 1/4" jacks on this XL, but output2 is working fine. I can plug my cables running to the poweramp into output2 and get sound, plug them straight into output1 and not get sound, front panel level knobs are both turned up about the same amount.

My I/O menu looks like:
Input1: left only (mono)
Input1 left: front (although sometimes I use the rear instead)
Input2: stereo
Output1: stereo (I am actually running true stereo)
Output2: stereo
Copy out1-->out2

Anyone see any glaring mistakes on my part or have suggestions on troubleshooting output1's jacks? I want to be absolutely certain of the problem before making an issue of it with the seller. Thanks!

Didn't get to test last night... my son stole my cans to listen to music during the big storm... I will check that first thing when I'm home.

My assumption (correct me if I'm wrong), if I'm wired up to use out1, speakers make no sound, but headphones work fine, then that's a clear indication something is wrong with output1?

My assumption (correct me if I'm wrong), if I'm wired up to use out1, speakers make no sound, but headphones work fine, then that's a clear indication something is wrong with output1?
Theoretically yes.. but I'd try multiple presets before concluding that.. as the OUTPUT block levels on a preset COULD be set to zero...
Can you confirm that you have COPY OUT1->OUT2 on, or if you are getting output 2 levels via the preset block.. ?

Theoretically yes.. but I'd try multiple presets before concluding that.. as the OUTPUT block levels on a preset COULD be set to zero...
Can you confirm that you have COPY OUT1->OUT2 on, or if you are getting output 2 levels via the preset block.. ?

I was just about to post something similar and ask if he had check the output levels in the preset to see if output1 was set to zero. If anything, maybe a factory reset then check to see if it is still silent.

Having the FX Loop -block in the preset could do this, if it's not in parallel but grabs the whole signal into Output2.

No FX Loop block present at the moment, not sure of output1 being set to zero within the preset... would that be in the mixer tab at the end of the grid?

copy 1->2 is definitely on... not sure what you mean by output2 levels from the preset block?

Look at the vertical VU meter in the Utility menu on the front panel. Does Out 1 show signal?

I'll check once I'm back home.

Would it make sense to make a preset out of all shunts just to eliminate the possibility of anything going on in the preset?

I'll check once I'm back home.

Would it make sense to make a preset out of all shunts just to eliminate the possibility of anything going on in the preset?

If you're hearing it echoed to Out 2 with no FX Loop block, the preset is probably fine.

Check the meters plus Out 1 % (knob position) at the page w/ horizontal level meters.

If you're not seeing any Out 1 meter activity, set Output 1 Volume to "NONE" at the I/O: CTRL page and restart.

If there's Out 1 meter activity while the Out 1 % is reasonably high and you still have no Out 1 signal, this leaves hardware issue as the likely issue.

Back
Top Bottom