Output 1, L and R not equal in output to cabinets...

Hi,

Setup : AXE ULTRA > Engl 50/50 Power amp> 4 x 12 Cab (L) & 4 x 12 Cab (R) both 16 Ohms.

I was wondering if this was supposed to be this way. I heard that for recording purposes the balanced outputs were somewhat shifted to acheive a stereo effect.

Is this the way it is supposed to be with the unbalanced outputs going to a 50/50 (L) & (R) power amp as well.
It seems the Left side cabinet has more umph and when I just switch the cables, I can tell it's not the cabinets, its always stronger (volume) on the left side. But the signal looks level and equal in the Utility Tab Output Meters L & R.

Can I fix and compensate for this? I don't care if I lose stereo and both sides are mono, I just want the same levels coming from L and R in output one.

And just to let you know, when I go to I/O page and change Output to Stereo, L+R or L R Copy etc... I get no significant change with the above issue. The left is still louder. So right off the bat, that is moot, unless something else is set wrong.

Can someone please shed some light for this guy?

Thanks,
Joe

Joe .. This was discussed before but I will reiterate.

The OUTPUT knob is a "ganged" dual mono potentiometer and if you look them up there is a 10-15% accuracy in those by their spec. So there is a possibility of L & R channels of the same output pair to be slightly different volume. If you run your 50/50 amp wide open and control your volume from AxeFX knob the difference gets exaggerated.

Now you may ask yourself why was it used? Don't quote me on this but I believe Cliff mentioned at some point that they sound better.

Mik.

Thanks Mik,

I did notice that some presets have the R side louder than the L side as well.
I know this is for stereo effect.

Is there anyway to stop this ? Besides using the AMP Blocks BAL(ance) control?

There are just times I want the same volume/ output coming out of both L&R Cabinets.

If not, either way, I still Love my Ultra !

jlagana2002 said:
Thanks Mik,

I did notice that some presets have the R side louder than the L side as well.
I know this is for stereo effect.

Is there anyway to stop this ? Besides using the AMP Blocks BAL(ance) control?

There are just times I want the same volume/ output coming out of both L&R Cabinets.

If not, either way, I still Love my Ultra !

Turning the axe-fx output 1 knob up will probably reduce the discrepancy. Alternatively, just turn down the volume of one channel on the 50/50 until they are =.

If it is just on certain presets, you can just use the pan settings in the layout mixer. I believe the pan parameters are actually balance controls (if I remember correctly).

Thanks so much Sean. I have doing what you & Mik said, and they all work to my satisfaction.

With the Axe Ultra, there is always a way !

Much Appreciation !

Back
Top Bottom