Output 1 & 2 config. question

ndc31

Sorry if this has been posted already. Did a quick search and couldn't find anyone with this question.

Is it possible to have certain effects sent to output 1 and certain effects sent to output 2 only? I have the Axe-Fx incoporated in a audio switcher with several pedals and my amp head preamp. I would like to have all the preamp and amp sim's coming out of output 1 and then the effects coming out of output 2 to have them in different places of the audio chain in the audio switcher. Hope that makes sense.

Basically put, can I decide for certain things to go out through output1 and other things to go out in output 2 at the same time?

Thanks in advance.

ndc31 said:
Sorry if this has been posted already. Did a quick search and couldn't find anyone with this question.

Is it possible to have certain effects sent to output 1 and certain effects sent to output 2 only? I have the Axe-Fx incoporated in a audio switcher with several pedals and my amp head preamp. I would like to have all the preamp and amp sim's coming out of output 1 and then the effects coming out of output 2 to have them in different places of the audio chain in the audio switcher. Hope that makes sense.

Basically put, can I decide for certain things to go out through output1 and other things to go out in output 2 at the same time?

Thanks in advance.

No problem, just split the signal to a different row put it in the fx you want for output 2, connect the to an fx loop block and it will go out output 2.

javajunkie said:
ndc31 said:

Thanks in advance.

No problem, just split the signal to a different row put it in the fx you want for output 2, connect the to an fx loop block and it will go out output 2.

Thanks for the reply.... but I wasn't able to fully understand what you were trying to explain. Would you mind explaining it in a bit more detail?

Thanks.

ndc31 said:
javajunkie said:
ndc31 said:

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the reply.... but I wasn't able to fully understand what you were trying to explain. Would you mind explaining it in a bit more detail?

Thanks.

I may be incorrect here but I will state what I understand his reply to mean.

Say you have a row setup from input to output and for example say you setup
Row 1 -> Compressor -> Amp -> Delay-> Output

The above will go out output one, then say for example say you take the same setup and add in the effects Loop as such in Row 2 with a subtle difference

Row 1 -> Phase-> Amp -> Delay 1 -> Reverb -> Effects Loop -> Output

This would go out output 2 because of the addition of the effects loop. I use this same type setup to bring in a tube amp into the chain when I want to use it for my main amp tones. Works very well for me overall.

If I misunderstood the original reply I apologize, this is what I understand to work however.

ttosh said:
ndc31 said:
ndc31 said:

Thanks in advance.

Thanks.

I may be incorrect here but I will state what I understand his reply to mean.

Say you have a row setup from input to output and for example say you setup
Row 1 -> Compressor -> Amp -> Delay-> Output

The above will go out output one, then say for example say you take the same setup and add in the effects Loop as such in Row 2 with a subtle difference

Row 1 -> Phase-> Amp -> Delay 1 -> Reverb -> Effects Loop -> Output

This would go out output 2 because of the addition of the effects loop. I use this same type setup to bring in a tube amp into the chain when I want to use it for my main amp tones. Works very well for me overall.

If I misunderstood the original reply I apologize, this is what I understand to work however.

Actually, the second example you gave would go to outptu1 and 2. to just go to output 1

Code:
Row2 -. phase -> amp -> cab->rev -> shunt to output
Row3                 \   delay-> fx loop

The routing above will split the signal after the amp, process the cab and reverb to output 1, and the delay (w/o cab and reverb) to output 2

Thanks for the clarification. To make sure I understand what your saying I should leave the shunts to output after the FX Loop to ensure this only goes to output 2 correct?

javajunkie said:
Actually, the second example you gave would go to outptu1 and 2. to just go to output 1

Code:

The routing above will split the signal after the amp, process the cab and reverb to output 1, and the delay (w/o cab and reverb) to output 2

I'm resurrecting this thread here for a second, as this is pretty much what I'm trying to do. Replace the phase block above with a drive, and remove the delay from Row3, and this is basically where I want to go with my patch.

My output 1 is connected to my Firestudio interface for straight recording, but I'm trying to send my signal via the output 2 to a Carvin DCM1000 connected to my 2x12 cab, without the cab block, of course. It does work, but I don't have reverb.

If I want to keep the reverb block after the cab block like above, how can I still get the reverb to sound on the output 2 without adding another reverb before the fx loop block?

ttosh said:
Thanks for the clarification. To make sure I understand what your saying I should leave the shunts to output after the FX Loop to ensure this only goes to output 2 correct?

You should leave out the shunts after the fx loop.

Deltones said:
javajunkie said:

Code:

I'm resurrecting this thread here for a second, as this is pretty much what I'm trying to do. Replace the phase block above with a drive, and remove the delay from Row3, and this is basically where I want to go with my patch.

My output 1 is connected to my Firestudio interface for straight recording, but I'm trying to send my signal via the output 2 to a Carvin DCM1000 connected to my 2x12 cab, without the cab block, of course. It does work, but I don't have reverb.

If I want to keep the reverb block after the cab block like above, how can I still get the reverb to sound on the output 2 without adding another reverb before the fx loop block?

out the reverb before the cab, spit the signal at the reverb.

javajunkie said:
Deltones said:
javajunkie said:

Code:

out the reverb before the cab, spit the signal at the reverb.

For some reason, I was pretty certain somebody would reply that. :mrgreen:

But the thing is, that's not what I want. Why? Same reason putting one pedal before another will give you a different sound before going into your amp, but not necessarily what you desire. In this case, I would send the reverb into the cab block, changing the end result.

Well... now that I'm thinking about it, with the patch going the way I want, the reverb will go before my 2x12 anyway... Hmm. I might have to rethink my patch making process.

While that may seem to be the case, in fact it is not(unless you use the drive parameter on the cab).

Here is what Cliff says about it (he is talking about placement of effects before or after cabs or delay before/after reverb, etc):

From Cliff:

" It actually doesn't matter for most effects. It the effects are linear, time-invariant (LTI), then the order is irrelevant. If you don't use the cabinet drive then it's LTI. Reverb is LTI. Delay is LTI. Now if you use modulation technically it's not LTI but it is "wide-sense stationary" so you can treat it as LTI. The only blocks that aren't LTI are the stuff that does pitch shifting (time-variant) or distortion (nonlinear)."

As long as you dont have the drive parameter up on the cab block, the cab blocks are LTI; therefore, placement of effects before or after will not matter. Now, placement of LTI effects will matter before or after non-LTI effects (like the amp sims, pitch-shifter, drive block, trem effect).

Javajunkie,

I was looking at the layout of Bank-A in the editor. Basically all of the patches have the majority of the effect blocks after the cabinet. Now, according to your previous post, it shouldn't make a difference sonically, but if the loop block needs to be before the cab block when using a real cab connected to a poweramp, it means that none of the patches are usable in their present state. The majority of the blocks making the patch will not be heard at all. Kind of a big difference sonically no? :mrgreen:

Is there something I'm not seeing here? To use output 1 (full patch) and 2 (cab block bypassed via loop block), it means that if you want to play bank patches for direct recording and with full monitoring with cab+poweramp, all patches would need to be redone right?

Basically, it looks you don't have the choice but to have the cab block last in the chain if you want to use output 1 and 2 at the same time.

Deltones said:
Javajunkie,

I was looking at the layout of Bank-A in the editor. Basically all of the patches have the majority of the effect blocks after the cabinet. Now, according to your previous post, it shouldn't make a difference sonically, but if the loop block needs to be before the cab block when using a real cab connected to a poweramp, it means that none of the patches are usable in their present state. The majority of the blocks making the patch will not be heard at all. Kind of a big difference sonically no? :mrgreen:

Is there something I'm not seeing here? To use output 1 (full patch) and 2 (cab block bypassed via loop block), it means that if you want to play bank patches for direct recording and with full monitoring with cab+poweramp, all patches would need to be redone right?

Basically, it looks you don't have the choice but to have the cab block last in the chain if you want to use output 1 and 2 at the same time.

To be honest I don't even understand what you're saying, but I'm very tired and stupid today. :lol:

You can divert your signal off to the loop block at any point in your main chain. If you want different amps, FX, cabs etc. for your two chains, split the signal off at the start, do all your stuff, have one shunted through to the output and one end at the loop block (no shunt to output, or it will also come through output one). If you want everything identical except that you want output two to bypass the cab section, just set up your full output 1 chain, and then right before the cab block link a parallel loop block, again no shunts through to output.

If there are presets or whatever that you want to use for this purpose that aren't set up like this, then yeah you'll have to rearrange things a bit. It takes the best part of 10 seconds to shift a block over to where you need it to be. Maybe it's a slight hassle, but obviously no one set of patches is going to suit everyone's needs. Why they're set up that way I wouldn't know.

Deltones said:
Javajunkie,

That is exactly what it means. The good part is usually it will make little or no difference in tone.

I'm a bit slow to grasp this as well..

Will placing the loop in the patch like this:

axe-patch.jpg

route the unprocessed signal to the second outputs as well as through the chain to the first, or is a clear row needed?

TIA

Claudel,

My guess is that output 1 will play everything that is in your chain, and output 2 will be your completely dry guitar signal.

The way I did it was to add the loop block on another line. I added a shunt block between the reverb block and the cab block on the main line, then put the loop block on the same level as the shunt, one row down and connected reverb block to the loop block.

javajunkie said:
Deltones said:
Javajunkie,

That is exactly what it means. The good part is usually it will make little or no difference in tone.

Hmmm... Then I wonder why the presets were not constructed that way, i.e. with the cab block last on the chain. Oh well, not that complicated to change anyway.

Deltones said:
Claudel,

My guess is that output 1 will play everything that is in your chain, and output 2 will be your completely dry guitar signal.

That's my hope.

I need to test it but I've been too lazy to run the third cable, plus I need to figure out how to get the stereo out from #1
plus a mono out from #2 into my two channel Duet without redoing the patches. :geek:

I'm pretty sure I can combine the stereo outs from #1 on the Axe but I haven't as yet got to playing with it.
I want to avoid buying anything else to accomplish this if I can.

I'm kinda waiting to see if anyone successfully gets the Axe SPDIF I/O working with the weirdo built in recent Apple digital I/O.

I mainly want to use the dry signal for reamping.

I probably should just nut up and record dry direct and be done with it but it's nice to listen to the Axe while playing.

claudel said:
I'm a bit slow to grasp this as well..

Will placing the loop in the patch like this:

axe-patch.jpg

route the unprocessed signal to the second outputs as well as through the chain to the first, or is a clear row needed?

TIA

If you put a loop block anywhere in the chain it will send the output from that point to output 2. If it is in series w/ other effects, it will pass the signal on down. So the simple answer is second as well as first.

Back
Top Bottom