Outboard graphic eq

kevrock

Experienced
Does anyone use a outboard graphic eq in there rack for quick adjustments? I have 1 rack space open and I have a stereo graphic eq and I know there are a ton in my ultra I was just thinking of adding it online for easy fast adjustments for diff venues anyone do this?

send from Droid

Ha ha I like your thinking

send from Droid
Thanks! Heck I'd use any gear I can get my hands on. Besides, racks look weird with gaps so might as well fill it with something that does something right? Even better if It has cool led lights.

I used a 28 band midi-programmable eq in my old rig. It helped shape the tone, as I was going FRFR with only steep lowpass filters and microdelays to simulate a speaker cab. I considered using the eq with the Ultra before I purchased it. Once I started using the IRs and PEQs, I knew I didn't need the outboard eq anymore. But if it works for you and you find it convenient, no reason not to us it.

Some outboard EQs add noise - watch out for that. Also - the more physical connections + components in your rig the more opportunities there is for noise and failure to be introduced. The Axe is a great "all in one box solution" - to me adding a lot of outboard stuff starts to defeat that feature. Simplicity is beautiful!!!

due to the fact that i'm using input 2 as a sampler return into the Ultra, I cannot split my signal to be: FOH=Output 2, Stage Amp = Output 1. That being the case, I've been employing the use of a parametric EQ between the Ultra and stage amp in order to do just what you're talking about, without those EQ changes effecting the feed to the FOH mixer. This allows me to quickly tweak: stage volume, Hi-pass (to reduce low end "boom"), low-mid cut/boost, hi-mid cut/boost, and presence boost frequencies. I can quickly tweak my tone to compensate for the stage environment, especially handy when there is little time for a lengthy sound check.

Good quality Graphic EQs are easier to come by for relatively cheap money compared to parametrics, but you might be able to score a decent Rane PE15 for under $300 used.

Back
Top Bottom