Other than Wah and Volume, what do you use your expression pedal(s) for?

Other than Wah and Volume, what do you use your expression pedal(s) for?

• Drive in drive block

• Amp Input Drive

• Delay mix

• Reverb mix

• Amp Overdrive/Input Trim

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I also use it as a simple on/off switch for certain times when I want something that isn't covered by an IA switch... just link the Bypass switch, or the Boost/Sat/Bright/etc switches, to your Ext Controller. The options in the modifier edit box will be On and Off, and it will switch at 50% on the pedal.

Phase/rotary speed, with auto on/off.
Delay feedback and mix, reverb hold and mix.
Delay mix up, delay feedback down and amp gain up in the same direction.

I'm assuming most people use them for wah and volume, but what other functions do most people use them for?

Effects mix ratio for the Strymon type effects (MLTDLY > CHR > REV) in parallel. If the effects are squashing my tone too much, I'll back that off on the fly. I also use it for Tremolo speed and Phaser oscillation rate to simulate the "Black Hole Sun" style sound:

You guys who use it for Whammy, what parameter are you attaching it to?

A PIT block set to Classic Whammy with the external controller assigned to the Control parameter. Make sure the block is set to 100% wet.

Controlling the speed of various Modulations is a big thing for me. Getting the speed of a Tremolo, Rotary, Filter, Flange or Phaser to match the tempo of the band in realtime performance is a need I often run into. So I use 4 expression pedals dedicated for each category: Wah, Volume or Gain control, Delay Mix or Speed, Modulation speed (or Reverb mix on this pedal).

Controlling the speed of various Modulations is a big thing for me. Getting the speed of a Tremolo, Rotary, Filter, Flange or Phaser to match the tempo of the band in realtime performance is a need I often run into. So I use 4 expression pedals dedicated for each category: Wah, Volume or Gain control, Delay Mix or Speed, Modulation speed (or Reverb mix on this pedal).

Isn't modulation speed controlled by tap tempo?

I use one of mine to pull in a combination of a flange and delay sort of ambient sound. It is nice to be able to just pull that in for a chord without having to change a scene.

I use four expression pedals:

1st is FX depending on preset (Wah, whammy, vibe, mix for pitch)
2nd is solo (adds volume, gain, delay mix and delay feedback)
3rd is clean tone to hi-gain morph
4th is straight output volume

I know I can do this stuff with scenes, I prefer the control and practical use in a live situation of expression pedals though.

Volume
Wah
Rotary Speed
Delay Feedback
Pitch Interval (i.e., change from Major 4th to Major 5th)
Looper Volume
Synth Volume
Fake Talkbox (using formants)

I'm assuming most people use them for wah and volume, but what other functions do most people use them for?

I use a spring loaded expression pedal (Mission Engineering) and I use it mostly as a big momentary switch for things like delay input gain, flanger effect mix and things like that. It's handy when playing to not have to worry about hitting a small switch in the heat of battle for a very short duration. I find it much easier to use the the spring loaded expression pedal for that. It's a much bigger target and harder to miss when you're in the thick of it.

Last edited:
Oh and I think i also use it here and there to control the Chorus mix or the Tremolo depth for ringout chords, things like that work well with the spring loaded expression pedal. Also I use it for Rotary speed control which is fun.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom