Other hobbies!

After a year of this pandemic I decided to get into better shape. At this point my “hobby” has oddly become doing daily pushups. I’m addicted to it and realized they are probably one of the best exercises one can do. I also enjoy woodworking. 😉

I haven’t done pushups in years. When you wrote that your addicted to doing them I laughed but then I kept thinking about it. Now you got me trying them again. 😎

For me is CNC work.
I also started hang-gliding but for a short time (few years) since I gained some weight. Now I've been able to loose some so I'm looking into getting back in the air.
That and sailing a 18ft Hobie cat on the lakes around me.

Attachments

• small-assembled.jpg
    small-assembled.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 30
Besides absolutely loving to be outdoors, whether it be target/sport shooting, hiking/walking just for nature sake, or to practice my esoteric occult arts (people call it magic/k, other sillier yet call it more "alluring things" like 'the dark arts' or pantheism or even satanism/wicca) through a long, long lineage of such things - I have no problem saying that openly here since its the internet, but I don't tell my family about it because they would probably want to call the exorcist lol

I absolutely love competitive bare-handed combat. Ive been a martial artist since I was 6, and I really started formal training [no kiddie classes] at the age of 7 thanks to the confidence in my then master. Besides having a few college/graduate degrees, and besides teaching being my former bread and butter (no more thanks to covid), and being a classically trained pianist (and musician/guitarist), I can't say they are hobbies although I love teaching at the university level (sure, its a local college, but its great to stimulate and see the growth of budding adults being exposed to the beauty of true literary art), and as fulfilling as that stuff is - its always my martial arts that end up defining me most simply

Without getting too into it, I am highly advanced in a Japanese Karate, a Shaolin Kung Fu, and a Wutang Kung Fu system. What I am saying is, I had to go to school, I had to get "vocational" training for a career, and while I became adept at music, and while I love teaching, what I do, who I am, and why I am the way I am is because of my martial arts

I apologize if that was a long winded way of saying, "I'm nothing....but if you were to call me something, it would be a martial artist."

@Sixstring
Am I to understand from your name you don’t play SevenStrings? At all?

also, what other weapons do you make? And have you used any of them to test their functionality ? Not necessarily slicing someone for fun; but have you ever had to use weapons you make?
Can you make a ghost gun?

I always try to have some kind of project on the go in my spare time. Bought a 3D printer about 2 years ago and it opened up so much potential. It inspires a lot of ideas, probably the best thing I've ever bought. I'm obsessed now. Also started learning Arduino coding as well and integrating those both.

This was one of the first things I made a few years back. It's a MIDI controller that I used for running the looper functions on the Boss DD500. Also added a feature to keep track of how many overdubs are running, the pedal doesn't have that info. It's running on an Arduino Nano. Sold the DD500 a while back, thinking of reprogramming this for the Axe FX looper so I can free up some buttons on my floorboard.

View attachment 81598

This is an arcade stick I 3D printed. Designed and printed a few parts to improve the stick itself too, shorter throw shaft, and a bigger cup for a smaller deadzone.

View attachment 81600View attachment 81599

Just finished this one at the start of year. 7 months of work in this. Runs Retropie on Raspberry Pi4 and can play anything up to Dreamcast/N64/PS1.

View attachment 81604View attachment 81601

In a similar vein, couple of small joypads I made, running on Arduino Micros.

View attachment 81606

My guitars got some 3D love too. Started off trying to replicate a DiMarzio cover for no real reason other than to see how it would turn out. Liked how it looked, ended up doing all 3, and then just started replacing random parts on this guitar with 3D printed bits, just for fun.

View attachment 81607View attachment 81608

And I've been working on a prototype for a stop-tailpiece B-Bender. Printed version works perfectly, so I've started working on a metal version.

View attachment 81611

I've hit the image upload limit. Probably for the best, I'd just end up going on and on with more of this.
Wait a second, did I read that right or am I missing something ?
You made your own console??? What games can it run or is it your own nativr?

that's amazing

@Sixstring
Am I to understand from your name you don’t play SevenStrings? At all?

also, what other weapons do you make? And have you used any of them to test their functionality ? Not necessarily slicing someone for fun; but have you ever had to use weapons you make?
Can you make a ghost gun?
:cool: Nope! never got into them.

I haven't made any others just yet, I will be working on some War Clubs and Ali I (Knuckle duster) Getting a good selection of Tiger Sharks Teeth is not exactly easy or cheap. I have never tested it, I'm sure it would work long enough to cause serious injury. As too ghost guns I don't have a 3D printer, I'm not positive but isn't that what people are using to make the receivers?

I used to work with a bunch of guys who were crazy into rock crawling. One guy built his from scratch, another guy converted a Toyota pickup, another guy an old Bronco (I think?). Every year they'd head off to Moab and get crazy. We did a car crush for charity event one time and used the Crawlers to drive over old cars - such a blast.

Race #2 this weekend...got it mostly back together, just a few small things to repair after the one a month or so ago. Time to find the next weak link!

(and yes, plenty of rock crawling with this as well...I'm in NJ, but I've had this out to Moab twice, KY, VA, PA, CT, VT, NH, and there's a group of us that are planning to run the Rubicon and a few other things that way next year)

IMG_20210610_005805.jpg

Race #2 this weekend...got it mostly back together, just a few small things to repair after the one a month or so ago. Time to find the next weak link!

(and yes, plenty of rock crawling with this as well...I'm in NJ, but I've had this out to Moab twice, KY, VA, PA, CT, VT, NH, and there's a group of us that are planning to run the Rubicon and a few other things that way next year)

View attachment 84639
Sweet. Getting any vids of the race? Would love to see 'em!

Some absolutely amazing craftwork and engineering going on in this thread...fantastic work...I'd love to hear and play all of those tube amps/pedals. Well done!

Another homegrown-project, including milling of all parts, development and assembly of all PCB drivers and CPU-PID temperature regulation.

A couple of high-end RGB-Laser-projectors @ 10W each

Ok, now that is simply amazing and extremely cool! I would love to have an RGB laser and watched several YouTube guys building these...I'm floored by this build. Kudos indeed.

I have so many hobbies... where to even start...
i like to build guitars. I like to build pedals. I like to go 4x4 off roading. I love camping. I like to shoot sporting clays. I also like to quote random movies "he told me on my death bed I would have total consciousness... which is nice" innacurately.

Attachments

• les_flaus.jpg
    les_flaus.jpg
    788.6 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom