Opto gain thoughts?

kipstryker

Inspired
Really liking Opto 1 post amp/cab (set to line).
The gain reduction in the output level is quite significant which is fine. I'm just wondering if there is a 'best' way to bring the level back up to parity with presets not employing this type of compression?
Increase the output level in the amp block, compressor block or maybe elsewhere?
I have no intention of switching the compression block in and out of the preset during use.
At the moment I'm increasing in the amp block, and typically by around 5db. My compression settings are fairly mild.

Last edited:
The idea is that you compensate for the gain reduction using the Level knob, just as you would a real optical compressor.

Not sure if this is what you're shooting for, but I usually bump Opto1 to about 5.5 and Opto2 to 6.00, which seems to be somewhat near unity on my rig. I'm placing compressor block between Amp & Cab, running at Line setting. Mostly leaving the rest of the settings at default, for now.

I was messing around with the Opt. 1 comp the other day and also noticed a reduction in level when engaged. I switched to the studio compressor for a moment, since i'm fairly familiar with that. I put Ratio to 4 and put comp type to ''Peak''. I also disengaged the ''Auto'' button for attack and release. I then switched back to the Opt. 1 and suddenly the level reduction was gone. Weird...

Back
Top Bottom