Opinions on Power amps And cabs please

npdcoremetal

Inspired
I have two 4 12 mesa cabs with v 30s and a old marshall with rola celestions i believe. I own a roctron velocity 300 tried every which way just didnt like it alot. I also have a Marshall 9100 ive been trying with same cabs its just too fizzy ive tried both with cab sims off, power amps sims on or off. one day i blew a fuse and had to run axe through return of engl power ball everything sounded good. As of now im trying a qsc k12 and trying to get axe 2. i guess i just would like some opinoins on better ways to use what i got or do i need different cabs or should i get a vht 2/90/2 or matrix so on and so forth. Any help would be much appreciated and patches welcome too

Oh by the way im using primaraly high gain trying to match engl more or less

Thanks
Nate

I just started using the Carvin HD1500 SS power amp with my Marshall 4x12 w/v30s. It sounds great.. I was using the Carvin TS-100 Tube amp but it is real heavy. Very good sounding though. I have also just started experimenting with the Cab sims "On" and working the EQ. I am haveing some surprisingly good results. Go search "racetra123" on youtube for the vids.

I found the Marshall 9100 fizzy too.

The VHTs are much better IMO, as are the Engl Power amps.

the Matrix is great too. Its closer to the Velocity than the Engl power stage id think, but not in feel - just tonally. that can be sorted with EQ tweeks if necessary.

the benefits of the Matrix are cost, weight, size, reliability. The benefits of the VHT/Engl power amps are ease of getting the tone.

Ultimately your choice, but try the Rocktron this way first:

Global EQ:

65hz +1db
125 hz + 0.8db
250 hz + 0.2db
500 hz -0.3db
2khz +0.2db
4khz +0.8bd
8 Khz +1db

Then - lower the B+ in advanced by a point (so from 4.33 to 3.33 for instance)
Raise the damp slightly if you want a tighter, harder soud - lower it for a softer, bouncier sound.

That "should" get it closer to the Engl power stage. If you think your getting there with those tweeks - then the Matrix will be the one as its better in feel. If you still think its nowhere near you may need to get a back brace - and either the VHT or Engl power amps

This is such a subjective decision, Nate ... I did way too much research before obtaining an Axe-Ultra and finally decided to stick with the power amp I had been using for a couple of years with my older Digitech 2101 and 2112 preamps - The Carvin TS100 (EL34 version). It's extremely clean and quiet with negligible tone coloring (sans Cab Sims, of course). Carvin claims this unit would please audiophiles for its S-N ratio. I run stereo into 2-12" Celestion G12T-75s per side and have plenty of headroom in this configuration. Again, purely subjective, but the price is right and (not to be contrary to racetra above) the unit is not nearly as heavy as other power amps I've owned. For me, it was the perfect solution already sitting in my rack.

Last edited:
This is such a subjective decision, Nate ... I did way too much research before obtaining an Axe-Ultra and finally decided to stick with the power amp I had been using for a couple of years with my older Digitech 2101 and 2112 preamps - The Carvin TS100 (EL34 version). It's extremely clean and quiet with negligible tone coloring (sans Cab Sims, of course). Carvin claims this unit would please audiophiles for its S-N ratio. I run stereo into 2-12" Celestion Greenbacks per side and have plenty of headroom in this configuration. Again, purely subjective, but the price is right and (not to be contrary to racetra above) the unit is not nearly as heavy as other power amps I've owned. For me, it was the perfect solution already sitting in my rack.

Markom is right. The TS-100 is a smokin amp and compaired to amps like the mesa 2:50 it is pretty light. I think the mesa is around 45lbs (correct me if I'm wrong) Mine also is the EL34 version and I have been abusing it for about 4 years. And at $600, thats a great deal. For me, the Carvin 120 power conditioner is 11lbs, the Axe is like 10 lbs the case is about 12 lbs The TS 100 is 25 lbs, plus my wireless, I was lookin at about 60 lbs for my rack. That is the main reason I went with the HD1500. I shaved off 16 lbs. It really made a difference for my OLD azzz.

Hey Markom, Are you using seperate 2x12 cabs or a Stereo 4x12?

Thanks guys and thanks alot for the global eq tip also i am really considering a vht and or engl seeing as i can get the engl for 1000usd also im not real concerned with weight seeing as my rig use to be a road case with two powerballs a 6505+ an 8 space rack with tc g force power conditioner a drawer with all my pedals in it and a rolls amp fx patchbays

Markom is right. The TS-100 is a smokin amp and compaired to amps like the mesa 2:50 it is pretty light. I think the mesa is around 45lbs (correct me if I'm wrong) Mine also is the EL34 version and I have been abusing it for about 4 years. And at $600, thats a great deal. For me, the Carvin 120 power conditioner is 11lbs, the Axe is like 10 lbs the case is about 12 lbs The TS 100 is 25 lbs, plus my wireless, I was lookin at about 60 lbs for my rack. That is the main reason I went with the HD1500. I shaved off 16 lbs. It really made a difference for my OLD azzz.

Hey Markom, Are you using seperate 2x12 cabs or a Stereo 4x12?

racetra ... Actually, I use a cabinet configuration of my own design and construction. Here's a couple of pics (I hope):

AS1.jpg
AS4.jpg
AS5.jpg

The main 2-12 cabinet below the rack is running separate L/R channels and the two floating monitors are run in parallel out of the TS100, again L/R channels. This gives me great freedom in covering just about any space necessary while remaining in stereo (which I've become addicted to over the past 20 years). The cabinet below the main speaker cabinet is for storage and transport of the two floor monitors. I've had a Rivera TBR-1 running cranked through these cabinets and nearly blew out some windows in my house, but not one rattle from the cabs. Thanks for asking.

Mark

Last edited:
GT800FX and 2 2x12 Mesa Recto cabs loaded with EVM-12Ls. If you can find used EVMs even better. The EVM has a phenomenal freq. response spectrum and can handle the wattage. Very efficient speaker and you will feel the air move around you.

Personally I would ditch the V 30's and put in a higher wattage speaker especially for the drop tunings. The EVM 12 would be a great choice.

+1

I went from V 30's to EVM 12L's in my Rivers 2x12 cab , a huge improvement IMO

Per

GT800FX and 2 2x12 Mesa Recto cabs loaded with EVM-12Ls. If you can find used EVMs even better. The EVM has a phenomenal freq. response spectrum and can handle the wattage. Very efficient speaker and you will feel the air move around you.

+ 1 RRROOOOOOAAAAAARRR.

GT800FR/EVM12L rulezzzzzzzz

The EVM12Ls must be something extraordinary? I see a lot of "re-coned" examples on the big auction site, and a few Black Label versions - My plans to revamp my rig with the Axe-FX Ultra are going to cost me a little more than I anticipated!!! Might be worth it though?

The EVM12Ls must be something extraordinary? I see a lot of "re-coned" examples on the big auction site, and a few Black Label versions - My plans to revamp my rig with the Axe-FX Ultra are going to cost me a little more than I anticipated!!! Might be worth it though?

For this particular application they are. I still play through a lot of tube amps and the EVMs aren't the best match for EVERY amp, but when you find the right combo (dumble-voiced, or mesa marks) they really shine. Closed vs open back vs ported will also make a difference with these speakers, but the simple point is- the EVM is very transparent and won't color your tones very much when running an Ax-Fx through a power amp. It just projects very well and in a live situation it really feels and responds like a real tube head is playing through it. Just my opinion though. As in most things audio related you have to hear/play it to understand my points.

For this particular application they are. I still play through a lot of tube amps and the EVMs aren't the best match for EVERY amp, but when you find the right combo (dumble-voiced, or mesa marks) they really shine. Closed vs open back vs ported will also make a difference with these speakers, but the simple point is- the EVM is very transparent and won't color your tones very much when running an Ax-Fx through a power amp. It just projects very well and in a live situation it really feels and responds like a real tube head is playing through it. Just my opinion though. As in most things audio related you have to hear/play it to understand my points.

I'm sure opinions are highly regarded here, rUsirius and I appreciate yours. Thanks!

Perhaps this is a question better suited for a different forum, but when using a FRFR setup approach, how does the Axe-FX's "1x12 E12L" IR Cab Sim compare to real EVM12Ls?

Last edited:
Perhaps this is a question better suited for a different forum, but when using a FRFR setup approach, how does the Axe-FX's "1x12 E12L" IR Cab Sim compare to real EVM12Ls?

I've heard mixed views about that and the Redwirez ones as well. Check out the Ownhammer version as that seems to be a good one.

I concur. I've tried all three (Axe stock,RW, Ownhammer) and the Ownhammer Thiele EVM IR is my favorite by far.
Literally sounds like my speakers coming thru my speakers (I use four EVM 12L's)

Last edited:
Thank you Lightningboy and smilefan ... I'll take your advice and give the Ownhammer Thiele version a try.

Back
Top Bottom