Opinions on lightened / chambered body guitar

Should I go for a lightened / chambered body?

• Go for a SOLID body

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Go for a LIGHTENED body

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Go for a CHAMBERED body

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • You don't need a new guitar

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Find a solid body that is naturally light. I have a Warmoth solid swamp ash Strat body that is about as light as a Parker Fly. It's the oldest I have and I ain't never getting rid of it. I call it "Ugly Ole Blue"

100_0012.jpeg

I won’t vote because I’ve never played a chambered guitar so I don’t have a valid opinion. Weight reduction is a good thing for sure. Billy Gibbons is big on that, weight relieved bodies and necks. His tone today is nothing like the early ZZ days but he’s older and using very light strings. Having read a lot of BG interviews over the years I have the impression that for him, it’s more of a weight thing rather than tone.
It makes good sense that after years of live shows and touring weight relief is a major concern for older players. Consider that for the early part of BG's career he was using LPs and custom pieces. And the light touch with .080 gauge strings? Light gauge strings when driven have more sparkle and crispness to them...my feeling is that for heavy tones BG's gotta be using OD/distortion effects with respect to EQ as a way to marginalize the lightweight string gauge...
Thanks for the compliment. :)
I have always been under the impression that the heavier gauges sounded thicker & chunkier.
Theirs no denying that a set of 14's sound different than 9's or 10's.
I bring this up because I use to restring a guys guitar w/ bridge cables (14's)
& now that's the norm outside of 6 strings because of the extended range guitars. 60-14 are commonplace now, especially for some of the Doom & Stoner metal w/ super low tunings. It's the only way to keep a playable tension for some music.
Yeah, add in a 7 or 8-string guitar for bass heavy riffs will require the heavy gauge strings. You can detune only so far before the strings begin to flap, yet add some string gauge and it's almost a challenge to see how low you can go.

Back
Top Bottom