Only in Canada...

I used to make semi regular trips from my current city to home (parents) town which is a 5 hr drive. Lots of winter trips down there and lots of deer in certain areas. At night had to keep your eyes on the ditches for glowing eyes. Deer are so frigging fast

Absolutely agree...I've had several close encounters with deer over the years, including one recently this summer....and, unfortunately, also know of several other people who've been killed by hitting deer, or have had nasty accidents where the vehicle is a total write off.

I suppose it's some consolation I don't have to deal with wolves wandering on the main streets, and/or polar bears, like a friend who was working up in Iqaluit said he had to deal with on occasion o_O

their legs are so long, when a car hits them, the body usually removes the top half of the vehicle...well, you can imagine what else too.
yes - common knowledge up here and taught to new drivers - hit a deer and, if lucky, you'll just get a dent and a hopefully not too injured deer - hit a Moose and yur dead as that massive animal is gonna fly off those long legs right in thru yur windshield.

My brother lives in Vancouver, BC and the one famous park there Stanley Park has had a pretty substantial increase in coyotes over the last year or so. It's possible due to Covid and the decrease in people out in public spaces that could have contributed to the coyotes being more 'brazen'

I used to make semi regular trips from my current city to home (parents) town which is a 5 hr drive. Lots of winter trips down there and lots of deer in certain areas. At night had to keep your eyes on the ditches for glowing eyes. Deer are so frigging fast

When I was gigging and had those 2am to 4am drives home I sure the hell didn't
want to doze off for that reason. You had to be vigilant. Especially when the forest
goes right up to the edge of the remote roads I was driving on. I literally parted an
Herd of Elk one night. No idea how I didn't hit one. It was miraculous.

Oh, and tonight I saw a Bull Elk with his Harem of Ladies on the way home from work.

Quite the Regal sight. :)

When I was a kid, growing up in northern Ontario,

I wintered with a friend one year in and around Thunder Bay. We made many jaunts to the North on the winter
"ice" roads out of places like Sioux Lookout and Dryden. It was awesome..... and cold as you know what. :)

I grew up in Rochester NY, hung a lot with some musicians who lived in rural areas south of there.
One night I was driving home from jamming, came over a rise, and there was a family of deer spread out across the road, mamma and maybe 4 or so younguns.
I wasn't going too fast, theoretically, but as soon as I saw them I knew I probably couldn't stop in time.
By the time I got there I was going full sideways, real slow, but I did hit mamma.
I got out to see what I could do, like I could do anything.
After a few minutes, she pulled herself up and off the road, then was gone into the woods.
No idea if she was ok.
Bummed me way the f out, still think about it, 40-something years later.
Sometimes I think we really don't belong here, with our big noisy machines and all that hurry.
Pride of purpose I've heard it called, acting like what we're doing is so important, f all the other creatures who live here.

Im from a small town. One night I was out driving a family car with a buddy (not being idiots, just driving). Since we had no place to be, I'd regularly take the back road to the next town instead of the highway. As we were going past some houses, a massive object goes down a driveway, next to the car and back up another yard. Never been so close to a moose before or since!

Playing goalie during a road hockey game, with a frozen sponge puck or frozen tennis ball, was no fun either. Took a few shots to the nuts on my bridge...didn't get up off the snow covered road for a while.
Frozen sponge pucks - ya - I remember those hurting, even thru my KMart goalie pads. But in the 60s our heros didn't tend to fret too much about protective equipment so we didn't either.

A fond "cold" memory I have is of my friends in high school commenting on my frozen hair. As a teenager in the 70s I considered myself far too cool to be wearing a touque, so out I would go each morning with freshly washed hair that would be frozen solid after the 30 minute walk to school in -20C lol

Last edited:
I considered myself far too cool to be wearing a touque, so out I would go each morning with freshly washed hair that would be frozen solid after the 30 minute walk to school in -20C

LOL!!! I used to do the same. I'd stick my hair under the bathtub tap, soak it, pick it, then walk to school, in sometimes, -30 to -40 C temps.!

I have many fond memories playing Shinny (hockey at the local rink without all the gear) just skates and a stick. Many a slapshots to the body. Those pucks are dangerous things

Yeah, they are all funny and seemingly cute until you crash into something of that size. Too far
south for Moose here, but we have Elk and a motorcyclist about 2 miles from our house hit one on
his Harley. His buddy riding with him witnessed the entire thing. He didn't make it. Deer are dangerous
enough on two wheels, but a Moose or an Elk = lights out!!!
And, of course, if you live anywhere else in the world, what we call a Moose in north america is instead called an Elk :).

Playing goalie during a road hockey game, with a frozen sponge puck or frozen tennis ball, was no fun either.

Frozen sponge pucks - ya - I remember those hurting, even thru my KMart goalie pads.

Yes, a thousand times yes to this...I've been on a receiving end of slap shots with a frozen sponge puck and you might as well be using a real one at that point...nasty indeed o_O

But in the 60s our heros didn't tend to fret too much about protective equipment so we didn't either

Yup, guys like Gump Worsley just 'took it' without complaint heh...I used to have his hockey card when he played with Minnesota North Stars and he is my all time favorite goalie. When you watch the old clips of guys drilling pucks at him it's hard to believe he would do that with minimal protective gear, let alone without a face mask of any kind. Those guys were a different breed man...

Neil Peart took his nickname "Gump" from The Gump-ster and has mentioned him a few times....he is a legend!

My brother lives in Vancouver, BC and the one famous park there Stanley Park has had a pretty substantial increase in coyotes over the last year or so. It's possible due to Covid and the decrease in people out in public spaces that could have contributed to the coyotes being more 'brazen'
The increase in population was apparently due to homeless living in the park feeding them, which also caused them to lose their fear of humans and turned them aggressive. That what the conservation officer interviewed on the news said at least.

I'm a bit hesitant to post as this reinforces common perceptions about Canada but it happened today. Two Moose busted through the windows of an elementary school. The Moose just kind of milled around in the school.

Don't they ever learn!? :p

Back
Top Bottom