Only 2 Amps?

what in the world would one do with 4 amps in one preset?
2 guitarists with 2 amps each, multiple amps "waiting" while you switch scenes, etc. and yes, some want to run that many amps at the same time for one guitar. heck, 4 guitarists at once probably. i'm sure with the feature available, people will find a way to use it. there's always a way to use more. i personally prioritize the quality, and it's the reason i don't use other similar gear. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you are serious about 4 simultaneous amps at their highest quality, buy two AxeFx III's or a used XL+ and a III.

The 5K USD price tag is really not extravagant if you factor in 4 tube amp rigs, pedals, outboard effects, mic's, switching etc.

I would probably grumpily agree to pay this kind of money. But extra bulk and weight are show stoppers.

I have some presets that would benefit from using 3 or 4 amp concurrently. Depending on the effect to the sound quality of course....

I’m down for 4 amp blocks...in specific cases.

Also...a preset could be the ultimate “bread and butter” preset I would gather

So to be clear, this guy is talking about running 4 amps simultaneously correct?

Yep, they are asking for the ability to run more than two amp blocks simultaneously.

With 2 amp blocks and 4 channels each, you can have 8 amps available on 1 preset, is that right?

You will have 8 amp channels available, each with it's own settings, but you can still only access two of those amps at once.

This, by the way, doesn't necessarily mean they all have to sound all at once, it could be one or two with others bypassed.
sure, but historically speaking, anything placed in the grid is "ready to go" so you don't get sudden CPU spikes when engaged vs bypassed. pretty sure this will always be the case, so 4 amp blocks in the layout would probably mean that CPU is used constantly.

sure, but historically speaking, anything placed in the grid is "ready to go" so you don't get sudden CPU spikes when engaged vs bypassed. pretty sure this will always be the case, so 4 amp blocks in the layout would probably mean that CPU is used constantly.

Yes, and I personally would be totally fine paying that price.

That's what I am wondering. And I don't want to lose quality in the 1 or 2 amps I do use, just so 2 people can run 4 at a time.
I don't think that's how it would work.
Currently in the axe II, the resolution of the amp is reduced only when both amp blocks are loaded (aka placed in the grid).

So no issues anyway for those only using 1 or 2 amps

That's what I am wondering. And I don't want to lose quality in the 1 or 2 amps I do use, just so 2 people can run 4 at a time.

It should not be affected if you opt for only 1 or 2 amp blocks, only when calling up 3 or 4 amp blocks.

Part of the quality of layering guitars are the subtle differences from various takes.

Right...for THAT sound. Sometimes you want the tonal layers of 8 different but complimentary amps but you only want to track it in one or two takes. Two different approaches. I do both depending on what I’m going for...so do a lot of folks that have access to that kind of arsenal of amps.

Last edited:
As an idiot playing alone at home, I didn't ever considered that some people wanted to plug more than one guitar or bass at a time into the Axe FX.
Because of that, I didn't really understood the point of having 4 amps available.
For me alone , two amps have always been enough :D

LOL, I'm as stupid as you man. I just realized that too while I was reading your post. Man, it actually makes sense now. :) I'm an at home player and didn't even think of that scenario. Just goes to show that they are looking into things we haven't even thought about. :)

Four amps is possible but the oversampling rate would need to be reduced (when running more than two) which can lead to aliasing.

So do it if it’s possiblle as you say Cliff......for those who will only put 1 or 2 amps in the grid there’s no problem for them at all.

Those who want 3 or 4 amps at a time, & it turns out there is some aliasing, or they don’t notice any or don’t mind.....so be it. I don’t see the problem, or why anyone would be against it.

Cliff said it is possible and there would be aliasing. He didn’t say it’s the same situation as the Axe-Fx II with 2 amp blocks. The aliasing could be much worse, to an unacceptable level. We just don’t know, and maybe why he stuck with 2 amps.

We don’t know that there is “no problem at all.”

Back
Top Bottom