One technical problem I'm having with new II

WOW im having this exact problem as well! Good to know its not just mine.. Mine also sometimes goes back down a preset when going to the right with the know which should go up?? any of yours do that?

Heres the problems im having with it:

1. Scrolling through presets with the knob is inconstant (sometimes takes 1 click sometimes takes 2-4 to go to next preset)

2. Scrolling up through presets slowly (turning know to right) sometimes causes the axe fx to jump down a preset (as if i turned it to the left) instead of continuing to go up

Yeah I get the exact same thing when scrolling through presets. It jumps backwards. It's kind of annoying. I was hoping it was just a firmware fix needed. For me it happens with lots of presets.

I am encountering the same Encoder wheel issue. Moving through the presets fine...then...takes 3-4 turns to get to the next one. Then fine for a while.
Software or Hardware issue ?

Last edited:
Fractal/Cliff, if you're listening, this is obviously a fairly widespread issue. Have you looked into it any further? Do you still think it's a "dirty Encoder"? Don't want to send it in if it ends up being a software problem. Thanks.

Just got mine. I have the same issue on my AXE II. But i think i can live with that. Love the II !

Fractal/Cliff, if you're listening, this is obviously a fairly widespread issue. Have you looked into it any further? Do you still think it's a "dirty Encoder"? Don't want to send it in if it ends up being a software problem. Thanks.

Agree, it would be good to hear some additional feedback from Fractal. You know, is there a fix in the works, could it be resolved in firmware, or is it something that's not going away anytime soon?... Not a deal breaker for me, but I am curious.

Fractal's response on June 30:

Sounds like dirty encoders. If it really annoys you, you can send it in and we'll replace the encoder.

FWIW This is still happening on my unit but I have become "used" to it.

Funnily enough it sometime's stops me from tweaking too much - sort of
a "time out" period. ;)

Been happening more with mine recently. Turn the value wheel to the right and it jumps back 2 presets. First time, I was like WTF! Not worth sending it back so I guess it's something I can live with.

Yeah, mines the same Webb. FAS have said they will fix it....just a matter of sending it in.

My Ultra initially behaved like this, and despite a few cleanings the Rotary Encoder eventually became unusable within a year or so. I replaced mine myself and all is fine now. Good luck all as there still seems to be an Rotary Encoder manufacturing QA or installation problem?

Last edited:
My Ultra initially behaved like this, and despite a few cleanings the Rotary Encoder eventually became unusable within a year or so. I replaced mine myself and all is fine now. Good luck all as the
re still seems to be an Rotary Encoder manufacturing QA or installation problem?

How do you clean the Rotary Encoder?

My Ultra initially behaved like this, and despite a few cleanings the Rotary Encoder eventually became unusable within a year or so. I replaced mine myself and all is fine now. Good luck all as there still seems to be an Rotary Encoder manufacturing QA or installation problem?

My close friend had the same problem with the Ultra. He contacted G66 which offered to take it back for a replacement. Eventually he replaced it himself (he is an accomplished electronics technician though).

This seems to be a reccuring bug in all versions of the Axe, for a significant number of people. My question, as a future Axe-II owner, is, are there any measures taken from Fractal to rectify this? As, a different encoder or a different method of installing/attaching it?

I was the original poster in this thread. I decided not to send it back (at least not yet) since it was so hard to get, Fractal seemed so swamped, and some people were suggesting that it was not a hardware issue. So, I guess I'd ask Fractal, if they're listening: Any further thoughts on this? Still think it's a dirty encoder? What's the turnaround time like if we send them in for this reason?

Don't see how this got through testing by the way. (Mine has the "CC" prefix).

I emailed FAS on this. The encoder needs replaced. Turn around time , one day. Can't beat that !!
I am wondering though if continued use will make it better......kind of like a potentiometer. This may be a different animal though.

The only fix is to send it back and have the encoder replaced. We had a bad batch of encoders. You'll notice that it does it at a specific area in the rotation. The shaft apparently has a defect that causes the switches to not open in the correct sequence.

@ Cliff: Can we replace it ourselves or would you prefer we send them back in? I would personally rather do it myself and not take you guys away from your production duties. Just curious...

Back
Top Bottom