One expensive guitar or several inexpensive ones?

I have been playing for over fifty years, and I own just five guitars: three electrics and two acoustics. I have owned and sold guitars over the years, including Strats, Teles, LP's, but if I couldn't bond with the guitar it wouldn't last. For me, playability is paramount. You can change electronics and pickups, but if the fretwork and neck dimensions don't feel right, it will be difficult to be totally satisfied. Makers such as Tom Anderson and Suhr are good examples of consistent excellence in playability, but you still have to play a bunch sometimes to find the one that's right for you.

Hi,
Have you looked at the Gretsch offerings?
Thanks
Pauly

Any recommendations for a good / could be great mid level lefty 335 style SH. It would be the one guitar style I don't want to be brave with in terms of mod / upgrades which look scary to me (all that fishing through f-hole). I'm thinking the equvilent of a Fender Player Strat in terms of quality. Best I've come up with so far is Epi 335 but I would say it is not on par with a Player series guitar in term of quality, and I'm not sure about pups / electronics which I would not want to attempt changing out on this one for fear of damaging the more delicate body.

Hi,
Have you looked at the Gretsch offerings?
Thanks
Pauly
Yes - on the list for consideration but not too sure about the FilterTron / BroadTron pups. The G5622 looks descent - i'd like to try it out as I've only been able to audition the cheaper G2622 which did not feel good to me wrt overall quality.

In reality, I need another guitar like I need a hole in the head but this guy keeps buggin me to get a 335 ish axe:

Last edited:
“You need one of everything” except ya dont. I did that, all I play are my les pauls these days ;). Tempted to get a second great SG to hold on to (have one but it’s slim taper and on the block) but expenses this week dictate otherwise.

“You need one of everything” except ya dont. I did that, all I play are my les pauls these days ;). Tempted to get a second great SG to hold on to (have one but it’s slim taper and on the block) but expenses this week dictate otherwise.
What's interesting about my 2008 SG Standard, in terms of it being a great guitar to me, is that: technically, it should not be great. It has scratchy electronics that need Bounce dryer pad rubbing on the guitar's body all winter long. It binds at the nut without frequent saucing (and ugly string butler which I have). The tuners are medeocre. It has severe neck dive. It's neck pup is quite dark - I rarely use it. The back angled headstock is vulnerable and the pup to string angles seem weird compared to other guitars. My Carvin DC127 blows it away technically I think, but, the SG is by far my best guitar ever. It is a great guitar, not just because I've bonded with it well since buying it new in 08, but I love the thin body that fits so nicely - I'm playing "close" to my body and I can feel the guitar resonating (LPs feel like massive bricks to me in comparison). I love the rounded sound it has, and, I love this guitar's identity and associations / history, particularly as a lefty (Iommi) and others whose music I love (Frank Marino, Angus Young, Pete Townshend, Blair Thornton, Gary Rossington, Barry Goudreau, Carlos Santana...).

I would become homeless before selling it, and, if homeless, I would carry it with me always and guard it with my life.
1670293280398.jpeg

Last edited:
@sprint get a new nut!
Yes, I did have the nut replaced a couple of years ago when my guitar fell forward off its stand (almost had a heart attack - needed therapy from the Fractal Community at the time). The binding did improve - guess I could try taking the butler off and just go with nut sauce.

Last edited:
One great one for me, too.

I sold two guitars + an amp, and a cab towards my R9 and have never regretted it for one second. It's an absolute joy to play every time I pick it up and I literally never have an "I wish it sounded like this..." moment with it, ever.

(Which is not to say it's the only guitar I own, I have two other electrics (Strat, SG), but I'll gladly keep only the R9 vs the handful of guitars I could buy if I sold it.)

As of late I have added two guitars to the one guitar I have had for well over 9 years! The Carvin CT624 in my avatar pic (that's a record for me). The previous one was a PRS CU24 2007 Experience that I had bought new in 2007 and owned for 6 years. Prior to that I was flipping a guitar every 3-6 months.

Trying to get a feel for how most here on the board like to build their stock of guitars! Are you of the camp where you would rather have just one great guitar that can do a few tones well or have several inexpensive ones to round out a selection of different tones and sacrifice quality in the process or a little of both?
I just ordered a Heritage 535. That's not midrange price to me, that's the high end but normal for me now, the past couple of years.

If you like Sire a bit of veneered MDF dipped in plastic is more likely.
With all due respect that’s just a ridiculous statement that doesn’t help enlighten the point. Dipped in plastic…LOL. Due to government regulations and America depending on countries that hate us for raw materials the paint, stain and finish industries are and will be changing drastically in the coming years. Everything will be synthetic and cheap(er). It will suffice, but the old days are gone.

Singling out a specific company just doesn’t make sense. I realize you’re the forum guitar guru, but I think you confuse what’s right and possible for you with what is practical for the majority of folks.

Oh and I looked high and low and there just didn’t seem to be any MDF on this guitar. Solid chunk of Swamp Ash, nice piece of non stained Ebony and it sounds great. Developed a little fret sprout after being in the Eastern US, but it was easy to solve. The frets were perfect when received.

Edit:
Now I’ll leave this alone because this is off the OP’s intent.

Attachments

• A8C9B1BE-2B6A-4F23-B433-3B7444640987.jpeg
    A8C9B1BE-2B6A-4F23-B433-3B7444640987.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Don't buy a guitar so expensive you are afraid to play it out.

I usually tell folks that the $1000 mark and above is where you find instruments vs. "guitars".

I'd say to refine your tastes (pickup types, neck shape, body contour, etc) and try to find a fine instrument that checks all the boxes.

Buy a few cheaper guitars to experiment with other variables and repeat.

I'm an Ibanez fan and went from RGs, to J. Customs, to JCRGs to custom built guitars from the Hoshino factory. That's a trek from ~$500 to $7,000+ guitars.

I now have 3 one-of-a-kind custom builds, and about 20 other nice Ibanez's.

Edit: on acoustics, I never really played them until my kids wanted to do open mics with me. Started with a ~$1,000 Breedlove, got a $3,000 nicer one, and then a Koa anniversary one for around $7,000. They look beautiful and are like art pieces around the house. Can't recommend that brand enough. Even their $750 model line sounds and plays great (I've bought a few for others as presents).

With all due respect that’s just a ridiculous statement that doesn’t help enlighten the point. Dipped in plastic…LOL. Due to government regulations and America depending on countries that hate us for raw materials the paint, stain and finish industries are and will be changing drastically in the coming years. Everything will be synthetic and cheap(er). It will suffice, but the old days are gone.

Singling out a specific company just doesn’t make sense. I realize you’re the forum guitar guru, but I think you confuse what’s right and possible for you with what is practice for the majority of folks.

Oh and I looked high and low and there just didn’t seem to be any MDF on this guitar. Solid chunk of Swamp Ash, nice piece of non stained Ebony and it sounds great. Developed a little fret sprout after being in the Eastern US, but it was easy to solve. The frets were perfect when received.

Edit:
Now I’ll leave this alone because this is off the OP’s intent.
It was a joke like the Sire.

Yes, I did have the nut replaced a couple of years ago when my guitar fell forward off its stand (almost had a heart attack - needed therapy from the Fractal Community at the time). The binding did improve - guess I could try taking the butler off and just go with nut sauce.
Try polishing the nut slots with rubbing compound stacked dental floss. Then take the string abomination off and string it up with the wraps going UP instead of down. Always tune UP to pitch and never use any kind of knot around the tuners . This WILL fix it.

For the OP. Even though I can see a bargain when it is presented I also would never give up my 3 Core PRS. That last 30% of quality that we pay the 70% premium for is worth it. Ultimately it’s the player that makes a guitar a “instrument”. No joking.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom