One expensive guitar or several inexpensive ones?

Any point in stripping off the paint, or is the "damage done" so to speak?
IIRC, Lennon and Harrison did that to some of their guitars. No idea if it helped the sound. Later, the guitars were repainted (maybe hurting the tone). One became known as Harrison's "Rocky" strat.

Any point in stripping off the paint, or is the "damage done" so to speak?
Often the grain filler is the most of it . You can't generalise. A good finish is hard and thin, it doesn't matter what it is as long as it is a thin resonant shell. I have stripped some guitars and refinished them back to life but sometimes the stuff is soaked in to the wood and then your stuck.

Our man Glenn Fricker has settled the question once and for all with his recent vids 😁 (hmm let's see how fast I can run from my device after pressing "Post Reply"🤣),

Last edited:
Our man Glenn Fricker has settled the question once and for all with his recent vids 😁 (hmm let's see how fast I can run from my device after pressing "Post Reply"🤣),

The one thing you can always hear is shit tone and there is plenty of it here. This is not at all the same as just picking the sound you prefer out of two. You can always find someone to remove the tone with terrible playing. You need someone IN TUNE to play a simple phrase as well as they can and then try to do exactly the same thing on the other instrument .

I just set up my buddy's Mexican Charvell Pro Mod and was very impressed with the fretwork. Checked with a fret rocker everything was perfect. I was able to get the action to 1.5mm high E and 2mm low E. Fantastic playability with no fret buzz at all. Rounded fretboard edges too.
The only thing I did was smooth over the fret ends, set the neck relief and the bridge height. Intonation was good out of the box. For $1000 it's a fantastic guitar.

I played with a guy this past weeked who was playing a PRS SIlver Sky SE sounded pretty good! I was playing through my Gretsch and the difference in sounds was apparent.

Both rigs were digital he was using a pedal board based rig with the Strymon Iridum for his amp tones with a bunch of other good pedals for effects so a pretty high end pedal board! I thought the guitar sounded pretty good for an intermediate guitar.

I didn't have a chance to pick it up but looking at it knowing what I know about guitars I would probably give one a shot! Would it make the great guitar list IDK but I know that PRS is pretty specific about their guitars.

I played with a guy this past weeked who was playing a PRS SIlver Sky SE sounded pretty good! I was playing through my Gretsch and the difference in sounds was apparent.

Both rigs were digital he was using a pedal board based rig with the Strymon Iridum for his amp tones with a bunch of other good pedals for effects so a pretty high end pedal board! I thought the guitar sounded pretty good for an intermediate guitar.

I didn't have a chance to pick it up but looking at it knowing what I know about guitars I would probably give one a shot! Would it make the great guitar list IDK but I know that PRS is pretty specific about their guitars.
For sure, polyester/acrylic finish and all, haha!

I came to the conclusion a long time ago that I don't care about these "guitars are all the same" videos. There's academic research that shows the opposite (that wood and construction affect the overtone series produced by the strings), and it's unquestionable that certain guitars make me feel different from others.

I'm not going to let a silly internet video convince me that I don't feel what I feel, and I don't care what's responsible. It's not like I've let other videos convince me that I need a half-million-dollar guitar to be happy playing.

But, really....either way leads me to the same conclusion. The guitars I tend to think inspire me or "sound better" also generally look cooler. So, whether I'm buying from "sound" that may or may not be different or "looks" that obviously are...I'd buy the same thing. And I'm perfectly happy having fewer guitar that were Made in America than having more guitars that I wouldn't play. So, it all works out.

I probably couldn't live with only one guitar, but I'd always pick great over inexpensive.
Great doesn't have to be super expensive though. Anything over $1200-1500 can be great (my personal threshold. I know there are good sub-$1K guitars). The Special in my avatar was $900 used and it's one of my favorite. Has mods though.

In the same token, a high price does not guarantee greatness. I sold an AmPro Strat cuz the neck was weird, or a Parker Fly cuz I couldn't warm up to the pickups.

Last edited:
I probably couldn't live with only one guitar, but I'd always pick great over inexpensive.
Great doesn't have to be super expensive though. Anything over $1200-1500 can be great (my personal threshold. I know there are good sub-$1K guitars). The Special in my avatar was $900 used and it's one of my favorite. Has mods though.

In the same token, a high price does not guarantee greatness. I sold an AmPro Strat cuz the neck was weird, or a Parker Fly cuz I couldn't warm up to the pickups.
But in your example, the high end guitars werent by any stretch bad, they were just the wrong fit. I dont like prs wide thin/pattern thin necks, but it doesnt make custom 24’s a lesser instrument if that makes sense.

But in your example, the high end guitars werent by any stretch bad, they were just the wrong fit. I dont like prs wide thin/pattern thin necks, but it doesnt make custom 24’s a lesser instrument if that makes sense.
I get you. not saying they're not great, but to me great includes personal fit along with no-compromise on hardware, electronics or workmanship.

I get you. not saying they're not great, but to me great includes personal fit along with no-compromise on hardware, electronics or workmanship.
But that doesnt really work because personal fit is exactly that. Great isnt dependent on personal fit, just craftsmanship (attention to detail, quality of parts, fit and finish). Another example would be a nik huber krautster - incredibly well built guitars, but if you dont like flat-top guitars you will never want to buy one.

Back
Top Bottom