On the road with the axe fx II (2)

Did I miss it? Has Larry ever talked about Which amp models he uses live or given out patches in the past? I would love to hear how he gets that tone!

Hey Larry,
Great show tonight, and great meeting you as well. Really glad I was able to catch it. Your setup sounded amazing as well, Now I may be brave enough to try going direct next time I play somewhere with a decent PA! Digging the CD too!
Thanks again,
Chris

Last edited:
Here's a clip of Larry ripping it up in Paso Robles tonight. Smokin' that Axe II. ;-) Very nice gentleman. Thanks Larry! Let me know if the shirt doesn't fit you. I'll send you a different size.

Larry's stellar trio transformed the usually cacophonous Cerritos GC into a great venue last night. What chops! What tones! What a nice guy! It felt more like a party with friends than a store event. Travis's trio was also great, albeit without benefit of Axe-FX - something tells me after this tour that might change :) First time I've heard an all EV LiveX PA setup (two 18 subs, w 12 tops, 2 15 monitors). No EQ It sounded great. EV gave away some sweet mic and wireless gear. Anyone near SD - don't miss this!

Auto Engage Feature
I've been reading up on the Auto Engage feature and would like to hear from you forumites on what setup you're using. Presently I have a pair Mission SP1-R pedals set up with my MFC-101. For the wah pedal I have the toe switch setup to 'enable' the wah block. I want to explore using the Auto Engage feature if I can get it right.

I was watching Larry Mitchell the other night and it appeared that he was using the Auto Engage function with his wah. One thing that leaves me puzzled is that he leaves it in the 'toe down' position. While RTFM and the Wiki, it seems that the heel down position is the common setup.

Can anyone fill me in on the preferred method of setting this up? How 'bout it Larry?
Thanks
Joe

Auto Engage Feature
I've been reading up on the Auto Engage feature and would like to hear from you forumites on what setup you're using. Presently I have a pair Mission SP1-R pedals set up with my MFC-101. For the wah pedal I have the toe switch setup to 'enable' the wah block. I want to explore using the Auto Engage feature if I can get it right.

I was watching Larry Mitchell the other night and it appeared that he was using the Auto Engage function with his wah. One thing that leaves me puzzled is that he leaves it in the 'toe down' position. While RTFM and the Wiki, it seems that the heel down position is the common setup.

Can anyone fill me in on the preferred method of setting this up? How 'bout it Larry?
Thanks
Joe

You can set it up either way. Originally heel down has the only way. Now it can be either. Whatever works for you. I uses an expression pedal w/ switch so I don't use the autoengage anymore. If I did it would be tone down for off like a wah would normally be.

So Java,
Just out of curiosity....why did you go from auto engage to the switched set up? Maybe I should leave well enough alone. What really got me about Larry Mitchell's set up was that it sounded sooooo good.
Thx
Joe

Hey guys, thank you so much for coming out to the shows! It was really nice to meet fellow axe fx users and a nice amount of II users!
Big Joe daddy, I use auto engage with the heel toe reversed in the controller section like Java said. I do this so tbecause the pedal natrually falls on the toe down.also I use only one expression pedal so it is some times a whammy and sometimes a volume pedal so it needs to be down all the time, for me at least. I like using auto engage because I like to bring the wah in and out on speciific notes of a riff in a solo or melody. This way I can have my foot leaning on the wah but it's not on and when I play a line/ phrasei can bring the wah in on say the last note of that line of or two notes in the middle of a phrase. Hope that clears that up. Amp wise I am pretty much still using the blues jr sim that I have dubbed the pro jr sim. :0) have 3 patches for songs from my first record where I use the USA rhythm 1 (it reminds me of my old Mesa Quad Pre amp sound I used to use back then. And one plexi normal patch that I use for another song but everything else is the blues jr sim. Right now I use the same cabinet for everything #39 it's a 4x12 something. It sounds great for cleans and leads to me. :0)

So Java,
Just out of curiosity....why did you go from auto engage to the switched set up? Maybe I should leave well enough alone. What really got me about Larry Mitchell's set up was that it sounded sooooo good.
Thx
Joe

I just like the steady feel of a switch.

Hey guys, thank you so much for coming out to the shows! It was really nice to meet fellow axe fx users and a nice amount of II users!
Big Joe daddy, I use auto engage with the heel toe reversed in the controller section like Java said. I do this so tbecause the pedal natrually falls on the toe down.also I use only one expression pedal so it is some times a whammy and sometimes a volume pedal so it needs to be down all the time, for me at least. I like using auto engage because I like to bring the wah in and out on speciific notes of a riff in a solo or melody. This way I can have my foot leaning on the wah but it's not on and when I play a line/ phrasei can bring the wah in on say the last note of that line of or two notes in the middle of a phrase. Hope that clears that up. Amp wise I am pretty much still using the blues jr sim that I have dubbed the pro jr sim. :0) have 3 patches for songs from my first record where I use the USA rhythm 1 (it reminds me of my old Mesa Quad Pre amp sound I used to use back then. And one plexi normal patch that I use for another song but everything else is the blues jr sim. Right now I use the same cabinet for everything #39 it's a 4x12 something. It sounds great for cleans and leads to me. :0)

Larry thanks a ton for posting that amp advice...will promptly try the blues jr out and that cab sim as soon as my mackie hd1221 arrives on monday!
Ari

Hi Guys,

So on this tour MY shows, No problem with running Stereo or direct! I like that! they way it usually is. I'll chalk up the tour before with Dan Avery and Monette Marino with
odd sounds guys as a fluke, as that has not been the norm for me in the past. :) By The way, Not all of my patches are Crazy stereo or even mildly stereo but when I hit a patch for pads, textures, vibe (usually when I am the only playing) every one in the building knows it. :) Anyway

Here's some video from the Travis Larson EV Live X PA system tour. The first one is from guitar Center Cerritos CA (LA ish area) LMB Sister at Cerritos LA Guitar Center - YouTube

Same Song but from a Club in Paso Robles and the camera was close to the stage and right in front of the bass amp. I have no amp on stage fro this show just monitors pointing back at me and its a small club. I love that i can go direct in a club!! not just on a big stage. Anyway Blues Jr patch 1.5 firmware. Cab sim #39 Royer 121 mic sim and delay in Parallel.

More from "The Pour House" in Paso Robles, The sound check broken up in little clips. but you'll get to hear exactly what I hear on stage as the iphone is on stage through most of it.. Remember this is a sound check so there are mistakes and "unique" notes flying here and there. Sound check is about checking things so I was worrying about other stuff and than playing at times.

1 LMB sound check 1 @ the pour house - YouTube

2 LMB sound check @ the pour house 2 - YouTube

3 LMB sound check @ the pour house - YouTube

4 LMB sound check @ the pour house - YouTube

End of the night Jam with the Travis Larson Band (travis is using a Digitech GNX pedal board direct) Larry Mitchell and Travis Larson jamming at the end if the - YouTube

This one is from right before the tour started, I was up in seattle getting ready for the tour. Acoustic patch from zoom camera in the audience. Larry Mitchell At Fuel Seattle "Tears of a Woman End".m4v - YouTube

Thanks for listening.

Nice, nice! Super job Larry. Really love you're wah tone. Buttery.
I was at the Paso Robles show. Great time.
Does the shirt fit? ;-)

Hey LM, great stuff! Your playing is phenomenal. I have a question for you about travelling with the AxeII since you seem to tour quite a bit.

I'm moving to South Korea (from the States) for a year and I want to bring the AxeII and my guitar with me. I've travelled with guitars before, but I'm weary about hurting my precious.
Do you use a carry-on rack bag or do you check the Axe? I was looking into rack cases and I am willing to invest some cash to protect the unit, but I don't know which way to go. Any advice?

-Dave

I know Larry talked about what he was using to carry Axe II and MFC in a previous thread you could probably find. It was a particular brand of suitcase, not a rack bag, and it fit in the overhead bins.

Thanks, I'll try to hunt the thread down.
Post Here
Quoted:
It's a Briggs and Rielly 20"x15" international carry-on. It fits in the overhead and under some of the seats. It's expensive though. But it looks like it was designed for the axe fx II and an MFC plus expression pedal and it is well made. You could Probably get two pedals in there but the mission engineering pedals are heavy and the wieght of the MFC and the II with that pedal is already heavy enough :eek:) . When you fly, if you go to lift something heavy to put in the overhead, don't make it seem heavy or they ask you check it!!!! :0)
It fits perfect inside with no rack ears. And it's a low profile look once it's closed up. There is a tumi case ($100 more) that's the same fit inside but the when closed up it just looks and feels bigger. (not a good for trying to get on a plane with a guitar also) ;0)

Larry

Back
Top Bottom