Old Les Paul + Old Plexi Style Tones

BK Mules are pretty good. Looking forward to trying the Throbaks in my soon to be completed Forshage Orion (NGD thread after it gets here).

I would recommend any of the following PAFs:

Lollar
Bare Knuckle
WCR
Kinman

There are some names I tried and did not like, but if you can't say anything nice...

I've got an original 70's DiMarzio SD in my Charvel bridge for 80's stuff so I know that pup pretty well.

In my Les Paul, I've got Jim Wagner American Steele set (also known as WCR). These are wired 50's style (info on his website). JWP Guitar Pickups

His pickups are really special. The 50's wiring took me some time to bond with. The magic happens when you don't have the gtr vol or gtr tone controls maxed. I was used to using my gtr vol all the time but was a "set and forget" tone control guy.

With the Wagner pickups, there are some amazing thick tones to be had from the Les Paul bridge pup when rolling back the tone (wired 50's style).

Sounds good Tyler- it's been a long time since I went down the path of swapping humbucker pickups. I ended up w/ a pair of Timbuckers (Tim White- I don't think he makes pickups anymore) I bought used off of TGP way back near 2002 or so... killer pickups. Supposed to be PAF replicas.. there are a ton more options these days. Definitely very different than those Super Distortions and more more my preference.. you would have a very different sounding guitar than you do now.

I've got 70s Dimarzio Super Distortions in my '71 Les Paul, so they are not doing the sound I'm going for here. But its in the ballpark of that woody stringy PAF + plexi tone.

Anyone use a good PAF style pickup they might recommend?

I've got a set of BK Riff Raff in my LP and they sound very good. I would probably go with The Mule if I had it to do over as the Riff Raff has a hair too much bite for my tastes. All it takes is rolling the tone pot down to 7-8 though. Actually it's kind of nice having the extra high end there if you need it.

What ir did you use?

Pups:

-Wizz
-Peter Florence Voodoo pickups ('59)
-Bare Knuckle
-Raw Vintage
-DiMarzio 36th
-Throbak
-Sheds
-Gibson Custombuckers (sounds great in CC#2, Goldie)

Lot's of good stuff. Wizz and Peter Florence are favs, but BK Mules and DiMarzio 36th are killers too.
As allways it depends on how the pups react to your particular guitar...

Seymour Duncan '59 both neck & bridge....

but I would ask a guy who have more experience as myself, not every PU works in every guitar.... ;)

Even pickups of the same model might not sound quite the same in the same guitar. Tiny variances in wire diameter, magnetic strenght, etc.

Back
Top Bottom