Okay just ordered the FM3, is there any reason to keep the Axe FX II?

So I finally pulled the trigger on the FM3 and am looking forward to the reported sound and feel upgrades. Is there any reason to keep my Axe FX II Mark II?
I'm not gigging atm, I've just been using it for home play and recording. I do know the CPU in the II is actually better than in the FM3 but if my main concerns are amp tones I'm guessing it's pretty much pointless to keep the II.

It's funny I can tell I'm slightly reluctant to sell the II which I can only assume must be due to some form of sentimental attachment.

I have both, and the Axe II works mostly with tube gear (tube preamps, with the FM3 working alone), though you could always use both together for Axe III type power too?

The FM3's amp modeling is much better/realistic, which is why I use the Axe II with tube preamps as in that scenario it's only doing tube power amp
sims etc.

Last edited:
That's encouraging to hear that the amp modeling is substantially better on the FM3.
Sounds like there really isn't too much reason for me to keep the II.

Maybe use it for after Amp FX like HQ Reverbs, Delays and Pitch to free up DSP in the FM3, so you can use Ultra Res IR‘s and the other goodies in the FM3 Cab Block. Don’t know if it is possible to switch scenes from the FM3 per midi in both units synced!

Eh, I wouldn't keep it unless you need really complex presets. If you incorporate them together, keep the FM3 for the amp, cab, and drive and offload the other effects to the Axe II.

But practically speaking, you'll be fine with the FM3. I predict the II will just gather dust if you keep it.

Every now and again, I'll pull out one my older/other modelers, strum a few chords and immediately return it to my big box o' music gear (read: graveyard) since the Fractal gear is just so complete in the way it delivers everything I need for practice, rehearsal, and performance.

No. The sound of the FM3 is 30% to 60% better in my humble opinion. Probably best to get some coin out of your FX2 while you can.

Ha I just upgraded from my Axe II to the III and I had the same thought. Then my III arrived and I played through the new modeling and my II got listed on CL.

I'm late to the current gen modeling but man did it exceed my expectations even after reading all the hype about Cygnus a while back.

Theoretically, you can find some application for the II. Practically, I've received my FM3 a few months ago and powered in on just once to export a few favourite presets and IRs to transfer them to FM3.

So I finally pulled the trigger on the FM3 and am looking forward to the reported sound and feel upgrades. Is there any reason to keep my Axe FX II Mark II?
I'm not gigging atm, I've just been using it for home play and recording. I do know the CPU in the II is actually better than in the FM3 but if my main concerns are amp tones I'm guessing it's pretty much pointless to keep the II.

It's funny I can tell I'm slightly reluctant to sell the II which I can only assume must be due to some form of sentimental attachment.
I agree with Rex's advice above. There is no need to jump the gun. Only you can answer that question. My prediction, given that you are mostly interested in the amps is that your II will start to collect dust.

Last edited:
I agree with Rex's advice above. There is no need to jump the gun. Only you can answer that question. My prediction, give that you are mostly interested in the amps is that your II will start to collect dust.
Yeah I did put the II up on reverb but at a fairly prohibitive price of over $1400 not meant to sell fast.

Just my two cents… the Axe II, regardless of how it sounds compared to the newer units, does sound good. Having more than one leaves you a unit at home when your main unit is tied up. I’ve got old amps that sound good even though newer amps are available, and I still like them so I keep them.

If you need the cash for something else, then you may want to sell if you like the FM3 better. Nothing wrong with that… some folks only keep what they use all the time. But the Axe Fx II won’t stop sounding good, so selling it really just comes down to what you need in your situation. You‘re blessed with options!

Just my two cents… the Axe II, regardless of how it sounds compared to the newer units, does sound good. Having more than one leaves you a unit at home when your main unit is tied up. I’ve got old amps that sound good even though newer amps are available, and I still like them so I keep them.

If you need the cash for something else, then you may want to sell if you like the FM3 better. Nothing wrong with that… some folks only keep what they use all the time. But the Axe Fx II won’t stop sounding good, so selling it really just comes down to what you need in your situation. You‘re blessed with options!
That's a fair point, although I remember when I got a Line 6 HX Stomp to serve as a backup to my II. The HX Stomp is nice little unit and the editing on that small screen wasn't so bad but the tones and feel of the Helix algorithms just didn't quite measure up to the II. So much so that I pretty much stopped using the HX Stomp entirely and it's been sitting in my gig bag.

So I'm guessing it'll depend on how much better I find the sound/feel of the FM3 compared to the II. If there's a substantial, objective difference where the FM3 is clearly on another level than I'll likely sell the II. If the difference between them is not so great I'll probably keep the II and maybe even return the FM3. But from what I've gathered I'm expecting a tangible difference between the FM3 and II in that respect.

Axe II also gives you access to Tone Matching, which the FM3 does not (just export the Axe II's TM as a IR for use in the FM3).

Of course other software can TM as well.

I'm leaning towards what others have said towards selling the II but yeah this is also good advice.
I honestly don't think the resale value of the II is going to change a whole real soon. I would wait, but it also depends greatly on your personal neeeds, as in $$$.

Back
Top Bottom