OK to leave on?

RickTN

Inspired
have an XL+.......I've left it ON in my rack at home ever since I've had it.......should I be turning it off when not in use?.........I figured it was like my computer and most other electronic gear that it's OK to leave on....but....

what say you?

To me it also brings up whether the LCD screen lightsource has a lifespan that would make it worth turning it off. Although theoretically leaving on a computerized device like the Axe has a conservative effect, I would just weigh the fan and lightsource issue às well, with a grain of salt. I choose to leave mine off cuz I make a living thinking about things like display screens, and it bugs me that one might fail sooner than necessary, even assuming this is after a good many years, and it might be harder to replace than the fan.

I have all my studio gear through a Fuhrman conditioner that I shut down when leaving the studio, of many reasons: smaller electricity bill, saving the planet for future generations and so on. Modern equipment should be able to handle shutdowns and startups without issues.

I'm thinking that, barring rare early failures that might happen regardless of power-on hours, we'll probably all have new gear before any parts wear out.

I have a Kurzweil K2600 that I bought in 2002 which has an LCD screen. Two buttons don't function anymore, but the LCD still works great. If I were going to be concerned about anything wearing out on the Axe it might be the fan or the buttons, though the fan isn't really a big deal. The only concern is that because the fan is so quiet, if it ever does stop working you might not realize it. I will say the cooling fan on my Kurzweil still works after all these many years, though.

I now have had my XL+ since late October and I leave it on 24/7. Only time it's ever been powered off is for the updates. It goes through a Furman Power Conditioner. All my gear in my music room stays on 24/7 including desktop computer and powered speakers. I used to work in the coin operated video game business for over 20 years and we experienced MUCH fewer problems on equipment and games that were powered on 24/7. Out techs always said the initial jolt of energy on power up is much more extreme on equipment than being left "on" in a constant state. My home has steady power that fluctuates only about +/- 2 or 3 volts around 120v.

I would think a common sense appoach makes sense, just like with a PC. If your using it all the time, then go ahead and keep it on, no point booting up/powering down all the time. At the same time, if your not going to be using it for a few days, doesn't make much sense to leave it on really. If I'm on vacation for a week, I turn my PC and other stuff off, same with the Axe.

I don't turn it off when I go to eat lunch as I'll be back in an hour or so, but if I'm done playing for the day and maybe won't get back to it for another day, I power it down, along with my monitors, wireless etc.

Heck, same goes for the lights in the room lol

I have all my studio gear through a Fuhrman conditioner that I shut down when leaving the studio, of many reasons: smaller electricity bill, saving the planet for future generations and so on. Modern equipment should be able to handle shutdowns and startups without issues.

I'm curious about this. One thing that I find annoying is turning on all my studio PC.

Based on what you're saying here, could I plug my 2 Monitors, 1 Sub, Interface, Axe-FX and 2 preamps into a Fuhrman power conditioner, then turn them all on\off at once by turning on the power conditioner?

I would think that could cause big pops\bangs with your monitors and other issues. Or is this a really simple trick that I should have known about by now?

Back
Top Bottom