OK to leave my FX III powered up most of the day, every day?

David777

Loving my FX III. I have it set up in my studio so that I can walk in and start playing. I usually power it up around 6:00 a.m. and power it off around 10:00 p.m.

Is there a down side to having it powered on so long, so often? Should I only power it up when I'm actually using it, and power it down when not?

Thanks!

I havent turned mine off except to update since we moved in December. Cliff leaves his on all the time. You should be fine, I think.

I turn mine off when I'm done for the day out of habit but when in doubt, check the manual:

Preface, page ii-

6. If not using your Axe-Fx III for extended periods of time, disconnect from AC power.

Leaves it open to interpretation I suppose, but it would at least stand to reason that if you're playing on and off throughout the day it's more than fine to leave on.

Loving my FX III. I have it set up in my studio so that I can walk in and start playing. I usually power it up around 6:00 a.m. and power it off around 10:00 p.m.

Is there a down side to having it powered on so long, so often? Should I only power it up when I'm actually using it, and power it down when not?

Thanks!
You would think that would be a simple question, but with modern electronics it's surprisingly complicated. I don't know if I've ever seen really good answer. There are issues of energy usage, effect of heat on component lifetime, stress on the device of power up/down events. I would think though, if you're going to use it at least once, you're fine leaving it on all day like that.

Time for some physics. For those who don't care about energy savings and environment:

A Review of Degradation Behavior and Modeling of Capacitors

Electrolytic capacitors determine the lifetime of a power supply

What Influences Electrolytic Capacitor Lifespan?

If things go well, you may not see them fail in your lifetime. But there is no doubt that they are under stress while powered up, and shit happens. Why add an unnecessary factor of degradation?

Cliff may leave it on eternally for testing purposes, but I've heard that he has access to backup units ;)

Last edited:
Reminds me that ages upon ages ago I was using an Alesis Midiverb 2 as my sole rack effects unit. Well, one day it croaked and I opened it up to see if I could see why. After a little inspection it was obvious that a little tantalum(?) capacitor had blown, since I could see it had a hole clear through it, and it spewed its guts across the circuit board. I had no idea what the value was, but I went to the local Radio Shack and bought a little package of capacitors* that were about the same size and shape. Soldered one of those suckers in to replace the dead one, and AFAIK that unit works to this day. I shouldn't have been able to get away with that s!?t but for some stupid reason it worked!

(*)Who remembers when Radio Shack sold useful electronic parts and it was worth setting foot in their stores? Can't say I miss what they ultimately turned into.

Back
Top Bottom