Ok... Les Paul guys... school me.

My axcess lifeson plays like a dream, but I have guitars that play easier-sometimes I want a fight. LPs-just iconic, and sometimes I have to play one. No sensible reason. Might be in part to seeing pics of guys playing the music I love-on LPs. Might also be due to the first band I hung out with(they were all older, I was like 12) had 3 guitar players....two played LPs and the other a 335. Heck I still love chainsaw cases because of those guys, Early definitions of cool can stay with you a long time!

My suhr plays so well, I have another one on the way. I get your point. But there will always be something to an LP for me. Oddly enough, never owned a strat and have no desire to.

In the mid 1980s I had a Les Paul Custom. After a few months it became unplayable. It was sent in for warranty repair, as the neck had twisted from the use of green wood. Nine months later it returned, with the box having never been opened by Gibson. It was sent back again, four months later the problem was "fixed" by them filing 95% of the frets off the bass side of the neck and them respraying the neck a non-matching white so the neck and body were now twenty shades apart in color. I sold it for a $800 loss.

My friend is a guitar tech and he says 80% of new Gibsons require some sort of work out of the box to make them play acceptably. For $3000+? Are you kidding me? I'll pass.

I went looking for a Les Paul a few years back and went through the same thing. Every thing I picked up from the 1200 - 5K range did not inspire or feel like it was worth the money. Then I picked up a PRS Single cut and it was all over for Gibson. Those guitars play them selves right off the wall. I have payed Les Pauls years ago that felt great so I know that they are out there but they just seem too far and few between and if I'm looking to buy I want something that I can play right now and it feels right to me.

I am also a Looooong time Strat guy.30 years easy. But at this stage in my life I want something else. Looking T 2-Gibson LP Studi Deluxe $1,150 (with slim taper 60's neck) and the one I really want-Musicman Axis Hardtail-around $1,800.

Just due to finances I amy go with the LP

Luv my Lifeson Axcess. The neck did take a bit getting use to, after playing my PRS 513 w/WF neck, but now I really enjoy the "room" this neck allows. Ur right about the tone, it is subjective, but sustain is sustain. & this model just rings, very musical. I'm pretty new to electric guitars so I dont have deep roots to any 1 brand. Admittedly I was influenced by my fav. player when it came to what I bought, & thats cool cause u should get what u want.

I have a custom shop historic 65' from the early 2000's that plays and sounds great.

When they are right, an LP + Marshall, just does that thing, that puts a smile on my face :)

But I've got a great strat and other great guitars too; I'm not a lp fanatic by any means.

Had my LP phase back in the 80's - first decent guitar I bought actually after learning on some crappy thing, a 70's LP Deluxe ('mini' PAF type) - Scott Gorham in Thin Lizzy had one (amongst other LPs of course) so it was good enough for me.

Lack of money and a need for a whammy guitar made me sell it in the early nineties - got more than I paid for it even though the neck laquer was practically all worn away (looked cool to me and actually felt faster because of that) and badly in need of a refret and new bridge.

I've picked up a few LPs to try out in stores in the last 4 or 5 years .... and frankly I haven't found one that I'd consider putting that much money down for.

The guitar tech I use is damning about Gibson's quality in the last 5 or 6 years too (not just LPs but 335s and SGs etc.). Neck warping, binding coming away, varnish/laquer stress cracking due to neck moving .... he does repair work for stores who send him customer returned new guitars and he's sent most Gibsons back to the stores untouched with the recommendation to return them to the Distributor for refund. So I'm extremely wary of any new LP now ..... I'd rather try a twenty year old secondhand one as it will have had time to age and hopefully any issues would have surfaced in the past.

It's a sad thing to distrust such a prestigious company and iconic guitars .... but for that money I expect less bad press.

Every once in a while, I get the urge to pick up a Les Paul but that is normally short lived once the "hands on" part of the urge takes place. I cannot justify the price tag based on the quality of the LP compared to other guitars in the same price range.

Just out of curiosity, I started looking into kits. The Precision Guitar Kit (body and neck only) seem to have a lot of very good reviews.

I have a 2001 '58 RI that I bought at the Dallas guitar show that year. I played a TON of Les Pauls and settled on that particular one- pick of the litter. I replaced the stock pickups with Timbuckers at that time and had a couple of rounds of replacing the pots/caps until that got dialed in. I got a good deal on the guitar up front (nothing anywhere near list price at that time). But I spent more to get the pickups and electronics up to par. It's great sounding guitar as Les Pauls go..

That said, if I was looking today I would have to go with another brand. I haven't picked up any newer Les Pauls since that I would pay near what they're asking for now. Never mind all the issues I've heard about. I would look for a used model from the late 90's to early 2000's (look on the Les Paul forum or TGP for threads covering those topics if interested) or..

I would look for a used PRS McCarty depending on budget. The used prices I've seen on these put them in that $1500 range give or take a few hundred and they can be killer guitars in that LP vane. Great bang for buck. A buddy of mine who plays professionally is big on finding these. I really like the PRS DGT as an alternative to a Les Paul as well- although they're not a Les Paul. The trem changes things considerably, but I like them as well or better and the pickups and electronics are there. There's a ton of other boutique brands out there now as well, but I don't have much experience with them. Most are priced out of my current range so I avoid playing them (in case I find one I couldn't live without).

Only thing I would add as a suggestion is buy used. It takes time and can be a pain if not buying a guitar in person, but you can find some keepers without loosing too much money in the hunt. Good luck..

I have a 25/50 '75 Anniversary LP. I love it but I haven't played it in years. When I was in Bourgeois Tagg, a great mid 80s band, that was the guitar I played. I've never even plugged it into the Axe. Maybe I'll do that today. Heaviest guitar I've ever played. It was good for me because I've always been a Gibson man. I'm a Strat guy as well though! The LP is without a doubt the best guitar I own.

I remember Bourgeois Tagg, GREAT BAND Henry, loved you guys and used to catch your shows at the old Barney Steel's in Redwood City way back when.

I've got three LP's, an early 69 Goldtop that's been converted with 59 PAF's (FANTASTIC guitar, but too heavy to play for long at my age, and too valuable to leave alone backstage etc), a 2001 all mahogany LP Studio with the nitro finish (nice guitar with SD P-Rails in it, very versatile), but the one I play the most is my cheap Chinese Clone as it's lightweight, un-chambered, and with a replacement TOM, a P-Rail in the neck, and a vintage Duncan JB it sounds and plays great (it's made out of a soft Asian wood like pine believe it or not, that's why it's lightweight, and acoustically it's a lot brighter than the real Gibsons).

So there you go, from great to cheap, and the the cheap one gets played the most LOL, so you never know! My advice is just look at them all until you find the one that works for you.

P.S. Got a couple of Corvettes too (71 Coupe and 2000 FRC), and I'd never consider trading them for a BMW (brand loyalty LOL)!

I have a 25/50 '75 Anniversary LP. I love it but I haven't played it in years. When I was in Bourgeois Tagg, a great mid 80s band, that was the guitar I played. I've never even plugged it into the Axe. Maybe I'll do that today. Heaviest guitar I've ever played. It was good for me because I've always been a Gibson man. I'm a Strat guy as well though! The LP is without a doubt the best guitar I own.

Hey DPeterson
Have you considered a tom anderson bulldog?
Same build quality as any anderson, but Toms take on a LP
I have one loaded with anderson p90s
I much prefer to play that than my 2 LPs
It hasn't got the Gibson logo on headstock but is an absolute ripper
But yes the black LP custom is the sexiest looking guitar on my wall!

I have a 71 LP Custom. Sounds and plays great. I keep trying to like the stuff Gibson cranks out these days, but the quality is so bad, it just saddens me to see a once great company crank out trash with sky-high price tags.

I have two Heritage guitars (a 555 and a Sweet 16). Neither is what you are looking for, but I really much prefer the Heritage to anything from Gibson at this point. Just my 2 cents.

Hey DPeterson
Have you considered a tom anderson bulldog?
Same build quality as any anderson, but Toms take on a LP
I have one loaded with anderson p90s
I much prefer to play that than my 2 LPs
It hasn't got the Gibson logo on headstock but is an absolute ripper
But yes the black LP custom is the sexiest looking guitar on my wall!

Yes I have... just would like to play one to hear it, but that is easier said than done. I can and have bought Andersons without playing because I know what kind of quality he puts out... actually spent the day with Tom a few years ago. That might be the route I go.

After reading all this, (thanks everyone) I'm still on the fence... sounds like it's a 50/50 chance of getting something that is worth the price tag. Scared to death of buying used due to the fake market. A bud and I are going to hit the local stores this weekend to try to put this to bed.

IMHO, with Les Pauls you have to try at least 20 to find that one. "When you do, you will know".
So true!

I got a standard in 1981 which is also a 81, and it is exceptional, and have been told that by other people over the years. A friend of mine does not care for Les Paul’s in general but always says “there is just something about this guitar”. Have had many offers for it through the years.

Problem being I always wanted another one and have never really found one that measures up to my standard I have tried hundreds through the years. Don’t get me wrong allot were nice but just did not do it for me compared to what I had already.
Well about two years ago my tech was selling a 2007 Les Paul Custom shop, hard to explain but I literally knew in 10 seconds that I finally found another. It was already sold really so I told him if the other buyer backs out I’ll grad it lucky for me he did.

I was told that the QC of the standards has been stepped up on the 2012 models and up but trust no one and make that determination yourself.

The twins: the sunburst is the 81
20120317023-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom