OK, I hate to be a uber bitch/complain, but....

<Paul

I just got my unit and seriously, soooooo lost, trying to bumble around, getting a few things. Got my Bot loaded and the latest functioning firmware. Even managed to bring in and load a preset. But I have no idea what to do. Tweak, yeah, I like to comprehend what some of these things do, but WTF?

The lack of a good manual is just TERRIBLE. You try and refer to the AXEII manual as mentioned in the FX8 "manual" and nothing matches on the effects blocks. What is the difference in COMP 1 or 2, Phaser, on and on, no idea what I am doing. Params in various effects, god it all looks really nice and deep edit but no idea what to do. It's like trying to fly a plane without flight school.
Jesus F Christ, tutorials, updated manual, how does anyone figure this all out????
I am really feeling completely brain dead right now. This reminds me when I first got into Guitar Synth, except, there was a DETAILED MANUAL to read and understand. I suppose every day I will grok more and more but gessshhh one could shorten the learning curve and discovery exponentially. The FX8 seems so extremely amazing and with that extremely complicated. Either there is a source for deep knowledge on this thing or most users are flying blind and not really getting half of what it does or can do. Again, I appeal to the Fractal Gods on high, update the manual for $hit sake!!!

(Feeling dumb as hell in TX)

I just got my unit and seriously, soooooo lost, trying to bumble around, getting a few things. Got my Bot loaded and the latest functioning firmware. Even managed to bring in and load a preset. But I have no idea what to do. Tweak, yeah, I like to comprehend what some of these things do, but WTF?

The lack of a good manual is just TERRIBLE. You try and refer to the AXEII manual as mentioned in the FX8 "manual" and nothing matches on the effects blocks. What is the difference in COMP 1 or 2, Phaser, on and on, no idea what I am doing. Params in various effects, god it all looks really nice and deep edit but no idea what to do. It's like trying to fly a plane without flight school.
Jesus F Christ, tutorials, updated manual, how does anyone figure this all out????
I am really feeling completely brain dead right now. This reminds me when I first got into Guitar Synth, except, there was a DETAILED MANUAL to read and understand. I suppose every day I will grok more and more but gessshhh one could shorten the learning curve and discovery exponentially. The FX8 seems so extremely amazing and with that extremely complicated. Either there is a source for deep knowledge on this thing or most users are flying blind and not really getting half of what it does or can do. Again, I appeal to the Fractal Gods on high, update the manual for $hit sake!!!

(Feeling dumb as hell in TX)
"most users are flying blind and not really getting half of what it does or can do." -- This would be me LOL

There is nothing different about comp 1 or comp 2, they are just two instances of the same block so that you can have two in the same preset. Otherwise, they are identical. The same applies to drive 1 / 2 and so on.

I hear you about not knowing what a lot of the controls do. These things offer a ton of user variable parameters. I suggest two things: play around with the controls and see what happens and watch Leon Todd's YouTube channel for in-depth guides to particular effect blocks. Almost all of his recent content is Axe 3 focused, but many of the same controls are available in the FX8.

the descriptions in the Axe2 manual describe the same blocks in the FX8.

can you give a specific example of what you think isn't matching between the Axe2 block descriptions and the FX8?

thanks for the replies and sharing my frustrations, I have burned my brain as much as I can today, back at it tomorrow
love the unit, just wish they would document more, being an ex engineer, documentation is paramount, we are taught that from day one

thanks for the replies and sharing my frustrations, I have burned my brain as much as I can today, back at it tomorrow
love the unit, just wish they would document more, being an ex engineer, documentation is paramount, we are taught that from day one
Click on any effect in the list here to get more details about that effect's parameters.

Wow, now that changed my world, cannot thank you enough!
(Everyone should note that link!
OR maybe I am the last of the schmucks to know about it, lol)
I was just watching some vids by the English long haired guy (name?) on using the Synth block for drones of a certain note running in parallel to the rig line, I cannot fathom how he figured all that out, utterly amazing and sort of shows the true depth of some of the stuff Fractal can do. I think what would be cool is a Fractal magazine with articles from these guys detailing these complex ultra cool techniques. This gear is so deep and param intense I cannot imagine why Fractal Audio does not make more effort to document and expand on their manuals. I am so sold on Fractal at this point I am just wondering why I did not make this jump previously, it can only be because there is just a lack of real information on how amazing this stuff really is. I just sold off my Strymon's and anything else I could part w to fund my Fractal excursions. For now keeping my drives and high gains until I am more grounded in programming that I can tweak out some of the models to see if they can push the pedals out. I doubt if I can ever lose my Origin Drive as that puppy is not really a "pedal". Still Fractal is just #1 with me, I am not even using amp modeling as I am not really a recording maven but I can see the outstanding quality. Who knows maybe my next jump. I little bummed the new model seems to being going small, I was hoping for an expanded FX8 or AX8. Seems you have to add an external switch unit to fully expand that new offering.

Yeah, I watch most of his stuff pretty much daily, just bad at remembering names. Amazing what he comes up with. I wish a 3rd party person like him would do a detailed manual, would save a lot of us months and months of blind wondering. Dig the Wiki page but everything is based on the II model. A lot is usable but gee wouldn't it be nice to have dedicated info.

I wish a 3rd party person like him would do a detailed manual, would save a lot of us months and months of blind wondering.
that's a lot of time for zero compensation. just curious how much would you pay for saving months and months?

Actually it isn’t. The content applies to all FAS processors, and where things are different per processor, it is marked as such.
Yeah I’m curious what he thinks is only Axe2 content. Asked earlier but no answer.

Perhaps because of the URL (“axefx2”)? We should change that sometime.

Last edited:
Yeah I’m curious what he thinks is only Axe2 content. Asked earlier but no answer.
Sorry, Too much to go through and compare. maybe there were some things I just did not understand. I am also trying to use the FX8 front panel editing as my PC is on my office on another floor. Again I ask if it's the same then why not simply cut and paste it into the FX8 with a few minor corrections, would that be reinventing the wheel for Fractal? With such magnificent Engineering skills I am rather shocked they do not provide extensive documentation on a product. That is pretty much 101 in Engineering process and audio. I retired from Process Engineering R&D and paperwork was extremely important. I am steadfastly working on my own manual copying pages here and there for reference in one place.

Sorry, Too much to go through and compare.
Sure. I just asked for one. It seemed like it was so rampant one example would be easy.

I think no sense bloat a file size when the exact info is in another PDF that can be opened at the same time.

Printing paper these days is so expensive.

I guess the assumption I need to prove anything to you or submit evidence of something as if I am at fault somehow does not really register on my needs. If you do not know there are some things in various units different or not present in others then maybe you do not know as much as you presume to think you do. Like every unit, every editor is the same, right?? Oh I know I should list the differences, come on.
I ask, how hard can it be to have a complete detailed electronic version manual for a product and update it with each revision you do? Answer is, it could not more simple. "Look here, go look here, so and so has this and has done that", gessshhhh, and somehow you think I am at fault or the problem?? Here's a novel idea, hire someone to deal with the manual documentation and update it, hire two, oh it might bankrupt the company to do so???
Some of you chaps are just outstanding in your ability to help and inform newbies to this realm, others fancy since they can fly a plane someone who has not seen the controls before must be an idiot, but wait, they go to flight school and just might end up knowing more than you....
but oh god, there is no flight school...
Take Strymon for example they have tutorials how to use their gear and they constantly try and advance ideas to users. Granted Fractal is a whole other level of complexity but doesn't that increase the need?

Actually it isn’t. The content applies to all FAS processors, and where things are different per processor, it is marked as such.
The wiki is lacking in tons of param information withing various blocks, I cannot update it as I do not have the information to do so. Oh I know give examples, why, so we can pretend it is there? Look up most effect blocks tons of params are not detailed as to what they do. I appreciate everything everyone has done to contribute and help but it is easy enough to see it is all 3rd party sources. That is because nothing really exists that users have not had to expand and try to understand.
Obviously if all this was readily available there would be no need for a help forum.

I guess the assumption I need to prove anything to you or submit evidence of something as if I am at fault somehow does not really register on my needs. If you do not know there are some things in various units different or not present in others then maybe you do not know as much as you presume to think you do. Like every unit, every editor is the same, right?? Oh I know I should list the differences, come on.
I ask, how hard can it be to have a complete detailed electronic version manual for a product and update it with each revision you do? Answer is, it could not more simple. "Look here, go look here, so and so has this and has done that", gessshhhh, and somehow you think I am at fault or the problem?? Here's a novel idea, hire someone to deal with the manual documentation and update it, hire two, oh it might bankrupt the company to do so???
Some of you chaps are just outstanding in your ability to help and inform newbies to this realm, others fancy since they can fly a plane someone who has not seen the controls before must be an idiot, but wait, they go to flight school and just might end up knowing more than you....
but oh god, there is no flight school...
Take Strymon for example they have tutorials how to use their gear and they constantly try and advance ideas to users. Granted Fractal is a whole other level of complexity but doesn't that increase the need?
I simply asked for ONE specific example as a conduit to understand what you’re going through.

If you cant provide that, we can’t help you. And I’m beginning to be ok with that.

Back
Top Bottom