ODS tone

greg

Inspired
All the ODS-100 gain tones (whether the RF or Bludo) sound a little harsh and fuzzy. Is that how everyone else's ODS gain tones sound? I was having an issue and had to reset the system parameters. I don't know if the ODS tones are correct with mine or not. They should be smoother. But I find it difficult to make the tone smooth.

This is what I've come up with that sounds the best, but it's still a little fuzzy and not smooth like a Dumble should be. I've had a few D clones, and they were very smooth.
Even though it says "Clean ODS," it's on scene 4 that's the OD tone.

Attachments

• FM3)DS.png
    FM3)DS.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 44
Oh...like I said, I'm very new to this. I'll have to find out how to do that.
From the Preset menu inn the AxeEdit, FM9Edit, or (I assume) FM3Edit, choose "Export Preset" while the editor is displaying the preset in question. It will prompt you to save the file. Take that file (should have the preset's name and end with '.syx') and attach it to a post here. It's the quickest way to get help from people who know how this stuff works. Otherwise, we're just guessing, based on a description from someone who, as you said, is very new to this. :)

I find the PAB models a little harsher. Try the Ford 1 or the HRM.
@Burgs shared an awesome preset a while ago. This would be a great place to start:
https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=8766
Yeah, Burgs' HRM is pretty great as a baseline "this is what it is supposed to sound like" starting point, to quickly get you going and tweaking to your guitar. I lost several weeks of playing time just playing that one model, which has twisted and warped its way into the upper escherlon of my favorites list (along with the Trainwrecks). Try one with either the stock SRO IRs or the Thiele SRO ones from Ownhammer. Wow. Just wow. Totally thick, creamy, but still detailed tone. Love the Hot Rubber Monkeys....

Wired: Can you download presets from Axelll? I didn't know that.

Just to clarify something: I've played Dumble clones for the past 15 years. I'm new to this digital amp world. I had a bad preamp tube a couple of times with my D clones, and the tone was harsh, bright and lacked depth.
That's how this FM3 sounds with the ODS presets.

With the FM3 I have tried every ODS preset, including the HRM. They all sound harsh, not smooth. I was trying to get an ODS preset to sound like RF's Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood (the OD tone, which is smooth). I couldn't even get close to it, no matter what I did. I tried the PAB because the others weren't sounding good - but neither does the PAB.

I did have an issue with my FM3 just before this. I had a problem with getting gain on presets. I had to turn the Drive knob to at least 8 or more to get any crunch out of it. So Mark at Fractal told me to reset the system parameters, which I did. I have gain now, but the sound is harsh - except for clean.

When I turn the Mid knob (on my D clones I would turn the Mids up), it makes it sound worse. Even setting them to about 2 o'clock made it worse. And if I turned the Mids down to around 10 o'clock or so, again, it was worse.

Joe: I will post the preset. Thanks for sharing that! I appreciate it.

Last edited:
What guitar/pickups are you using? And what level of input padding are you using? With humbuckers and no input padding, for example, you would likely overdrive the FM3 input, which sounds very harsh.

What monitoring are you playing through? What IRs?
Headrush 108

What guitar/pickups are you using? And what level of input padding are you using? With humbuckers and no input padding, for example, you would likely overdrive the FM3 input, which sounds very harsh.
I'm using a couple of guitars, both HSS. For the overdrive, I use humbuckers. "Input padding" . . ? I have set the Level in OUT1 to where it barely touches the red, if that's what you're refrring to.

I'm using a couple of guitars, both HSS. For the overdrive, I use humbuckers. "Input padding" . . ? I have set the Level in OUT1 to where it barely touches the red, if that's what you're refrring to.
No, input padding is a different parameter which makes sure that IN 1 is not overdriven:

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 12.19.41.png

@greg make sure your power amp modeling and speaker cab emulation are turned on in your settings, you can refer to the manual to see how, on another not i find the headrush speakers a little harsh in tone but that’s personal preference

@greg make sure your power amp modeling and speaker cab emulation are turned on in your settings, you can refer to the manual to see how, on another not i find the headrush speakers a little harsh in tone but that’s personal preference
I'll have to look in the manual to see how to do that. The Headrush is temporary. I have a XiTone on order. Thanks!

Headrush 108

Just as an FYI, I've found that I DEFINITELY need to use a PEQ to shelve the high and low end with these monitors. Everything sounds very shrill IMO with these monitors. I was using the ODS for a while with good results. I felt like I managed to get a pretty good approximation of RF's tone.

Watch some of Leon Todd's videos on live monitoring for some tips on using the PEQ.

Back
Top Bottom