ODS tone

I have not seen a Fuchs ODS in my FM3. I'll have to look for it. I did try the Carol Ann. Not as good as the ODS.

I don't know if this forum frowns in this, but here is a video of the kind of ODS tone D's are known for. At 2:20 - Robben's OD tone. Also at 4:05 at the end. It has a chewiness that Fractal can't get. Fractal needs to have a "Chewy" knob on their ODS so you can dial in the amount of chewiness you want.

One thing I've noticed is that the various D-type models in the AMP block seem to be really sensitive to what type of pickups I'm using. The voices of my various guitars really stand out, unlike many other models. Ford wanders between his Tele, his Les Paul with P90s, and who knows what else when he's in the studio, so that chewiness could be, at least partially, attributed to a guitar or pickup change.

Something else that can make a big difference is the acoustic coupling between the guitar and modeler+cabinet when running at volume. The "Modelers Don't Clean Up with the Volume Knob" Myth goes into this.

Last edited:
Robben had his Dumble voiced a certain way, which allowed his amp to be more chewy. That tone was with his bridge humbucker.

When I had my D clones, I had them voiced like Robben's amp, and they had that chewiness. The ODS amps in Fractal may not try to get that kind of tone. Not all Dumbles have it to that extent.

But there are amps in Fractal that say RF's ODS. If that's the case, then they should include that chewiness. Otherwise, it's not RF's tone. This is purely my opinion. But the video I posted shows that his tone is different than a lot of other Dumbles - although they do have a certain amount of chewiness.

I'm just saying that Fractal could add a knob that allows that chewiness to be added to the ODS tone. Robben also uses Celestion 1265 speakers. So if you use a cab with those speakers with an ODS, getting RF's tone should be doable.

...and there is a BludoOjai in there too. The Ojai is Bludotone's clone of RF's amp. So it should sound like the video I posted.

And I'm not knocking Fractal in any way. I'm very grateful for my FM3. But I know these presets are a work in progress.
And the ODS should allow us to get RF's tone...or as close as a modeling amp can.
I'm just saying it can be improved. :)

...and there is a BludoOjai in there too. The Ojai is Bludotone's clone of RF's amp. So it should sound like the video I posted.

And I'm not knocking Fractal in any way. I'm very grateful for my FM3. But I know these presets are a work in progress.
And the ODS should allow us to get RF's tone...or as close as a modeling amp can.
I'm just saying it can be improved. :)

Again I agree, I have actual Carol Anns and have had some great D style amps. The thing that modellers and D style pedals all miss is the nuance and feel. Part of the mystique of the D style circuit is in that melding of feel and note bloom and touch sensitivity that, in my opinion, is unparalelled in this style of amp. And not all D style amps do it justice btw, thats why there is so much debate on TGP and elsewhere about the various merit of each builder and whether they can come close to a real Dumble.

Again just my opinion.

Yeah, you're 100% correct. Note bloom, touch sensitivity and all the nuances of the Dumbles are what make it the amp it is. And that's why I prefer it over other amps.
Hopefully Fractal will improve it over time.

I'm struggling with this as well. I'm trying to match the FM3 to sound like my Fuchs ODS 50 and I'm not having much luck no matter which "Dumble" model I try. The preset I'm trying to build is for using with my ps100 and 806 cab with an EV12L. It's exactly like the above comment, there's none of the "floating" feeling like I get from my Fuchs. Every other amp model I've tried to match has been really easy, the models in the FM3 are fantastic. All the Marshall variants are especially superb. I'm gonna keep at it, where there's a will there's a way, but if anyone has some tips, please chime in.

I will add this; the closest I've come is actually running the Two Rock model with the gain set extremely low and then I added a mid boost in the amp block and hit it with a Zendrive. I gigged with that setting through the ps100 and 806 cab this past weekend and was told it sounded great. I thought it sounded really good, I think "great" was over selling it LOL! Like I said, I'm gonna keep chasing it.

I'm struggling with this as well. I'm trying to match the FM3 to sound like my Fuchs ODS 50 and I'm not having much luck no matter which "Dumble" model I try. The preset I'm trying to build is for using with my ps100 and 806 cab with an EV12L. It's exactly like the above comment, there's none of the "floating" feeling like I get from my Fuchs. Every other amp model I've tried to match has been really easy, the models in the FM3 are fantastic. All the Marshall variants are especially superb. I'm gonna keep at it, where there's a will there's a way, but if anyone has some tips, please chime in.

I will add this; the closest I've come is actually running the Two Rock model with the gain set extremely low and then I added a mid boost in the amp block and hit it with a Zendrive. I gigged with that setting through the ps100 and 806 cab this past weekend and was told it sounded great. I thought it sounded really good, I think "great" was over selling it LOL! Like I said, I'm gonna keep chasing it.
You've tried the Fox models?

Many moons ago, when I had an Axe Fx II, I used the settings shown in this video to dial in the tone on the ODS. It was pretty spot on with my Strat.

Again it's not necessarily the sound of the modelled ods amps, it's a feel thing for me.

I know that the feel and sound kinda all meld into the singular experience when playing but when I have listened to videos of ods amps from fractal (yes yes with the youtube compression yada yada) they do sound very convincing. However even when I have downloaded the exact same patches and played them they don't "feel" quite right. And the dumble style amps are the only ones that do this to me. Perhaps this is due to the touch sensitivity of a great d style clone (of which I have owned a few) or the real thing. I've said before, while I haven't played every great amp in the world, I have played and owned a number of good d style and others and the touch sensitivity and nuance a good player can extract from a d style is unlike anything else imho.

I think this is why they were/ are played by next level players like Ford, Carlton, Santana, George, etc.

Ymmv

Again it's not necessarily the sound of the modelled ods amps, it's a feel thing for me.

I know that the feel and sound kinda all meld into the singular experience when playing but when I have listened to videos of ods amps from fractal (yes yes with the youtube compression yada yada) they do sound very convincing. However even when I have downloaded the exact same patches and played them they don't "feel" quite right. And the dumble style amps are the only ones that do this to me. Perhaps this is due to the touch sensitivity of a great d style clone (of which I have owned a few) or the real thing. I've said before, while I haven't played every great amp in the world, I have played and owned a number of good d style and others and the touch sensitivity and nuance a good player can extract from a d style is unlike anything else imho.

I think this is why they were/ are played by next level players like Ford, Carlton, Santana, George, etc.

Ymmv
totally, that's what I'm looking for as well. the feel

Back
Top Bottom