FM9 ODS / Holdsworth - Fusion style, 2-1-2, Legato AbMaj7#5 Arpeggio over E7Alt (Fm9Maj7)

jzucker

Experienced
FM9 using modified version of jeremey poparad's holdsworth preset but using an ODS and EV12L instead of the Mesa and 4x12

This is an example of how you can use the 2-1-2 legato style over arpeggios. In this case an AbMaj7#5 arpeggio. I frequently use this type of arpeggio starting on the 3rd of an altered dominant chord, in this case E7#9#5.

It's a pretty simple arpeggio pattern that you can apply to a ton of different arpeggios and pentatonic scales.

The AbMaj7#5 arpeggio (Ab, C, E, G) gives you the 3rd, #5, Root and #9 over the E7. The reason it sounds so cool is because we are boiling down the scale (in this case it comes from the F Melodic Minor scale) to it's essential juice notes.

Juice notes are where it's at for getting modern sounds.

#TimMiller
#sheetsofsound
#jazzguitarlessons #guitarlessons
#jazzguitar #modernjazzguitar #jazzguitarriffs
#KieselGuitar #fusionguitar #altereddominant

First off, everyone should check out @jzucker's books, they're great, and I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Second of all, my main point might have been missed. Theory is derived from what people play and/or find worth exploring. If it doesn't map well, it ain't great, and it goes in the dustbin. I would never tell a legend like Jeff Beck (RIP) that he must learn theory. I've seen people do that to folks already well versed (or not) in theory and experience, and well, it's the ultimate in cringe and worse. Thinking of a clinic I attended with Tony Williams shortly before his passing where folks were telling the man to seek out their white gurus. Yikes...

That said, if one wants to play like Allan Holdsworth, one can write it off as magic, or, one can listen to Jack's point about simplicity, understand how deeply Brett and others mined the catalog, and mainline the concepts that were not available to us back in the day. Short of instantly perceptive genius, that's going to take some theory to explore. Far easier to assume than to get close to the reality.

Thankfully one only needs a few basics to explore the approaches, and @jzucker's right, they're like the "single-digit multiplication tables..." A lot of assumptions are made about Holdsworth's chromaticism, and it pays to listen to what Brett found in there. LOTS of method to the "madness."

Cheers and happy improvisation, D

Back
Top Bottom