Octave Divider low and high cut not working? [NOT A BUG]

Bodde

Fractal Fanatic
This is not specific to any FW because it was always like this as far as I can remember.

I can't hear any changes when moving the low and high cut 'knobs' in the Octave Divider algo. The octave sound sounds very dull and with too much bass to me and therefor the low cut would be very useful for this algo. You can check it by setting the mix to 100% and move the low and high cut knobs. To my ears nothing happens or maybe the changes are so little that I don't hear it. I have tried it also with the first octave soloed (second octave level set to 0%).

Also I can get rid of the muddy octave tone by combining it with filter blocks or EQ's.

Is this a bug or not?

Those filters don't apply to the Octave Divider. The first page is a common menu but the Lowcut Freq and Hicut Freq are not used in the Octave Divider algorithm. The octave divider algorithm is just a synthesizer with an aggressive lowpass filter (it simply generates two square waves based on the frequency of the global pitch detector). It is designed to sound like "vintage" octave dividers but with far better tracking and without the undesirable glitching. Therefore it is operating and sounding as intended. If you desire a different sound I recommend using the Synth block.

Those filters don't apply to the Octave Divider. The first page is a common menu but the Lowcut Freq and Hicut Freq are not used in the Octave Divider algorithm.

ok, thanks for explaining. I didn't know that.
I think a low cut would make the Octave Divider a bit more flexible. Just compared it to my OC-2 today. The sound character is definitely there but it sounds a bit more dark and unclear to me. It's not a huge difference just a bit more muffled. I have made a comparison clip here in post #29: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...ion-in-pitch-block.104609/page-2#post-1333323

Think I prefer the Ring Mod block for this type of analog octaver sounds. Really like that sound.

Back
Top Bottom