Oceill - Malaise [Ft. Plini] (Live drums, mastered by Acle of Tesseract)

Thanks guys! Mikah asked the same question on another forum, but since someone might wanna hear the answer here, I'll quote myself:

The guitar tone is Fas Lead 1 into 4x12 30W (Ultra) & 4x12 SOLO V12 (RW). I processed it pretty heavily in the DAW though since there were really many annoying mid frequencies. So it's pretty much scooped a lot after Axe-FX (and I probably used a ton of saturation on them like I always do). Also no drive in front of the amp, but I used a trick where I high and lowpass the guitar really heavily before the amp to basically do the same thing that a drive does. Just gives me more parameters to work with.

For bass guitar I made this killer tone in Axe-FX and then in conjunction I took out the DI-track and used some distortions from Cubase 8. Cubase 8 actually comes with some pretty cool amp/cab sim VST's that I use sometimes if I want something like a guitar lead that's totally different from what I'd make in Axe-FX.

Duuuuude that track is sick as hell! I'm a huge TesseracT fan too, so that's pretty awesome to hear Acle's contribution on a recording. Right when I think I'm getting tired of the whole "prog" craze something fresh like this always seems to pull me back in

Thanks guys! Mikah asked the same question on another forum, but since someone might wanna hear the answer here, I'll quote myself:

The guitar tone is Fas Lead 1 into 4x12 30W (Ultra) & 4x12 SOLO V12 (RW). I processed it pretty heavily in the DAW though since there were really many annoying mid frequencies. So it's pretty much scooped a lot after Axe-FX (and I probably used a ton of saturation on them like I always do). Also no drive in front of the amp, but I used a trick where I high and lowpass the guitar really heavily before the amp to basically do the same thing that a drive does. Just gives me more parameters to work with.

For bass guitar I made this killer tone in Axe-FX and then in conjunction I took out the DI-track and used some distortions from Cubase 8. Cubase 8 actually comes with some pretty cool amp/cab sim VST's that I use sometimes if I want something like a guitar lead that's totally different from what I'd make in Axe-FX.

I'd be forever grateful if you could screenshot or give info how many inserts etc you have in the DAW on the guitar tones? Rhythm and Lead if you can or if that's too much just Lead. I'm having trouble getting tones to sound as good when recording, they sound great through the cab for live sound but recording sound is frustrating me as. Any help would be appreciated.

Great song by the way, keep up the work.

I'd be forever grateful if you could screenshot or give info how many inserts etc you have in the DAW on the guitar tones? Rhythm and Lead if you can or if that's too much just Lead. I'm having trouble getting tones to sound as good when recording, they sound great through the cab for live sound but recording sound is frustrating me as. Any help would be appreciated.

Great song by the way, keep up the work.

A screenshot wouldn't help much but I can give you an idea. Depending on the mix and the tone in question, I might use as little as two plugins and as much as 10. The things is that you can get a good tone out of the box and make it work in a mix with really little work, so plugins are not always necessary.

I always I usually start with a parametric EQ for guitars and start looking for mud (~300hz), honkiness (~700hz) and some upper distortion induced harmonics and scoop them. The goal is to make a pretty flat EQ curve, without killing all the character. After that I go on to wide boosts, asking myself questions such as "is the tone lacking body? (-> boost lowend)" "more presence? (->boost 3khz)". Etc, etc.

After the first EQ I take a saturator that's supposed to give the tone some much needed thickness (I hate using these words) so that it would not sound as separate from the rest of the mix. After that it's a combination of more EQ's, saturation and at the end of the chain I usually use a stereo enhancer especially if the center channel is really crowded with like a heavily distorted bass tone or something like that.

Hope some of this is helpful. :)

Back
Top Bottom