OBS not capturing Windows audio from Axe-FX III (only guitar signal)

Piing

Axe-Master
It records the sound from my guitar, but not the sound from the Window that I am capturing (e.g.: DAW, which is directed to the Axe-FX).

I can only record in OBS by directing the DAW output to the laptop soundcard, but then the sound has many hiccups because it is not ASIO.

Anyone knows what button to press?

USB Inputs 1 and 2 capture the signal from the OUT 1 block on the Grid and will not include the output signals from the DAW (USB Outputs 1 and 2). If you want to capture both, you'll need to route the DAW output back to the grid so it can be captured by the same USB inputs.

You can do that by feeding an IN USB block into the OUT 1 block in your preset and then setting the main bus outputs in your DAW to USB Outputs 7 and 8 instead of Outputs 1 and 2.

The rub there is new recorded tracks in your DAW will then include any DAW monitoring signals as well. If you need to add new solo track recordings to the DAW project, you'll need to swap the main DAW outputs back to USB Outputs 1 and 2 first.

IIRC, OBS can't utilize all the inputs on multi-channel devices individually, so you're stuck with using only USB Inputs 1 and 2. If OSB could also capture from USB Inputs 3 and 4, you could instead use a separate send from the DAW main outputs to the IN USB block and then feed that into the OUT 2 block instead instead of OUT 1. That would let you capture the DAW output and your guitar output separately in OBS and eliminate the need to switch the main output channels back and forth when adding new tracks or takes in your DAW project.

Last edited:
can you set your DAW as a video source, and choose to capture audio from it? just shrink the video and move it off the canvas.

After some digging now I remember where I stalled out last time with OBS. It doesn't natively support ASIO drivers and the 3rd party plugin didn't support OBS version 30. There's now a new version of the plugin available (3.2.1f) that works with version 30 again.

https://github.com/Andersama/obs-asio/releases/tag/v3.2.1f

Once you install that plugin, you can add two separate ASIO Input Capture sources in OBS and select inputs 1 and 2 in one of them and inputs 3 and 4 in the other. Add an IN USB block feeding into an OUT 2 block to your Axe III preset and then in your DAW add an output send to your master bus to also send that audio to USB Outputs 7 and 8.

That should let you record both your live processed guitar output and any monitoring feeds back from your DAW at the same time in OBS.

Thank you for the tip on the ASIO driver. I have installed it, but I can only see the Axe-FX inputs, not the outputs.
1721549945981.png

I am trying to record from Band in a Box. I have found a solution: In BiB I select MME instead of Asio. The Axe-FX also appears as MME device, and it is recognized on OBS

can you set your DAW as a video source, and choose to capture audio from it? just shrink the video and move it off the canvas.
Yes, that is my video source. But it doesn't capture the audio under ASIO. Problem solved with MME

Strange.. I just tested my OBS and it records sounds from computer and axe, also it records sound via my audio interface and computer and also all those three together.. and I use audio interface own Asio driver.

Pic 1 (Presonus Studio 1810 Main-Out that using its own asio-driver (this collect sound from computer straight)
No loopback function needed from settings) )

PresonusStudio1810_with_its_own_asio_driver.jpg

Pic 2 (Mic/Aux- device set to Axe III) This collect sounds from Axe III.

MicAux_from_Axe3.jpg

Usually I don't record Axe III via Axe's own usb connection but via my Presonus Studio 1810 Mic/Line/Inst 1and 2 Inputs (Line level), now I had to test also this Axe III via usb connection but also that works fine.

All my computers sounds comes out using Presonus Studio 1810 Main Out 1/2, and OBS using that output and OBS can collect all sounds from Axe straight or vie Presonus Studio 1810 inputs / Computers sounds (Youtube, Mediaplayer, DAW:s etc.) and also 1810:n own inputs.

Last edited:
Strange.. I just tested my OBS and it records sounds from computer and axe, also it records sound via my audio interface and computer and also all those three together.. and I use audio interface own Asio driver.

Pic 1 (Presonus Studio 1810 Main-Out that using its own asio-driver (this collect sound from computer straight)
No loopback function needed from settings) )

View attachment 143142

Pic 2 (Mic/Aux- device set to Axe III) This collect sounds from Axe III.

View attachment 143143

Usually I don't record Axe III via Axe's own usb connection but via my Presonus Studio 1810 Mic/Line/Inst 1and 2 Inputs (Line level), now I had to test also this Axe III via usb connection but also that works fine.

All my computers sounds comes out using Presonus Studio 1810 Main Out 1/2, and OBS using that output and OBS can collect all sounds from Axe straight or vie Presonus Studio 1810 inputs / Computers sounds (Youtube, Mediaplayer, DAW:s etc.) and also 1810:n own inputs.

I've tried it again. With Cakewalk and with Band in a Box. OBS captures their audio when I set the mode to MME, but not when I set it to ASIO.

I've tried it again. With Cakewalk and with Band in a Box. OBS captures their audio when I set the mode to MME, but not when I set it to ASIO.
After long time ago I opened my Cakewalk and try if things works.

Result: ---> When in Cakewalk I put ASIO it already said it not works properly and with MME it shows my Presonus Studio 1810 harware inputs, outputs etc., so Cakewalk not supporting ASIO (and it tried to take Asio4all driver not my Presonus Studio Asio driver. I usually not using my OBS with Cakewalk, I even didn't try It now cause Cakewalk not support Asio like many other DAW:s etc.

If I use Cakewalk or Band In a Box I make there things and recordings (backings or songs etc.) and if I want to take video
from my cheap playing guitar etc. I use those backings or songs that made earlier).

Last edited:
OBS always drops the ball, yet its NOT OBS actually. What i found was plugging in any adapters (like external pedals or anything), while the axe fx 3 is running, is picked up by the axe fx 3 unit, some type of voltage change or something, its very sensitive, and that resets the audio capture (software drivers) from the ax fx 3, and you actually have to restart the computer to reset the audio capture. So in the future, make sure all power adapters are plugged in, before turning on the axe fx 3 unit.

All my power adapters are always plugged in before I turn on the Axe-FX III unit.

After some digging now I remember where I stalled out last time with OBS. It doesn't natively support ASIO drivers and the 3rd party plugin didn't support OBS version 30. There's now a new version of the plugin available (3.2.1f) that works with version 30 again.

https://github.com/Andersama/obs-asio/releases/tag/v3.2.1f

Once you install that plugin, you can add two separate ASIO Input Capture sources in OBS and select inputs 1 and 2 in one of them and inputs 3 and 4 in the other. Add an IN USB block feeding into an OUT 2 block to your Axe III preset and then in your DAW add an output send to your master bus to also send that audio to USB Outputs 7 and 8.

That should let you record both your live processed guitar output and any monitoring feeds back from your DAW at the same time in OBS.
I have tried 3 or 4 times over the past few years to get OBS running properly, but failed every time on getting audio from all of my preferred sources. Hopefully this plugin resolves that for me ;~)) Thanks for sharing this!!!

Back
Top Bottom