Note decay (crackle/sizzle noise)?

Ledvedder

Inspired
Why am I getting this horrible crackle/sizzle when my notes and chords fade? This is a preset from the Austin Buddy Live Gold pack. No gate. Just amp and cab. I get this on a lot of mid gain type tones.

Listen to FM9 Decay by ledvedder on #SoundCloud
https://on.soundcloud.com/wkXFw

Are you connected to your computer via spdif? If so, and recording into a DAW, it could be a sample rate issue. If I am not mistaken, the fm3 is set to output at 48k, and your daw session needs to match or you need to convert. I associate clicks, pops, and crackle with sample rate error. Of course, if you aren’t recording into a DAW, it’s probably something else…

The decay fizz is a thing and you can hear it on many old recordings. Some amps do it worse than others. I used to build my own amps and was into doing mods trying to get my ultimate tone. Then one day I heard the crackling decay fizz. And for awhile that was all I could hear. Now I just live with it. The models are that good where they do the same thing as a overdriven tube amp. Impressive as hell to me. Cliff understands all this stuff incredibly well. So my advice, pick a different amp model or use less overdrive. Maybe run the amp cleaner and use a drive to get some break up. In the power amp section or maybe the tube page there is a snubber diode option. Try that. They are there to reduce the fizz. Ken Fischer of Trainwreck amps put those in some of his amps as I recall and Cliff put them in the models recently.

I've built quite a few amps. Several Marshall style, Trainwreck Liverpool and Express, Tweed Deluxe. I don't experience this sort of crackling decay with any of them.

I've built quite a few amps. Several Marshall style, Trainwreck Liverpool and Express, Tweed Deluxe. I don't experience this sort of crackling decay with any of them.
That only means your amps don't exhibit what Cliff's personal units do, or what the units he based the models on do. He models them warts and all, only the "FAS" models are beautified.

Why your amp doesn't sound like Fractal Audio's explains it.

Is the bender fuzz engaged or not? Have you tweak the gain? Wich guitar?

I tried this preset and had no issue (JB Sh4) on my fm3

Is the bender fuzz engaged or not? Have you tweak the gain? Wich guitar?

I tried this preset and had no issue (JB Sh4) on my fm3
The fuzz is bypassed. I didn't touch the amp settings at all. I'm using a Suhr PT Signature with Thornbucker pickups.

The fuzz is bypassed. I didn't touch the amp settings at all. I'm using a Suhr PT Signature with Thornbucker pickups.
Have you checked your input level?

Don’t know looks like something is clipping.

It’s really strange.

I also not near your level or f gain, mine is way less gainy. I sure need to have my guitar checked but the difference is real.

Reactions: JTI
Have you checked your input level?

Don’t know looks like something is clipping.

It’s really strange.

I also not near your level or f gain, mine is way less gainy. I sure need to have my guitar checked but the difference is real.
My input gain is 30%.

My input gain is 30%.
I don’t have input gain on the fm3 but with the recent posts « how do you set your input with the axe fx 3 » and that everyone was clipping I decided to set it real low and never it the red and things are more clear.

On the axe 3 some set their input gain real low like 5%

Try that maybe.

That's what amps do. You don't hear it through a guitar cab typically but using close-mic'd IRs it's more noticeable.

You can reduce it by turning on the Plate Suppressor diodes. Trainwrecks have plate suppressor diodes for just this reason.
Thanks Cliff! I give it a try.

Thanks for this thread, @Ledvedder, and thanks for the tip, @FractalAudio. Will try that.

I'm hearing the same thing with the Cornford MK50 model. Using a SS amp and cab and it's quite audible at home, although you'd never hear it in a band setting. I figured it was something amps do but just it doesn't come out of the speaker as prominently as it does with a modeler (although I don't know if my Electra Dyne does it, have never noticed it?).

It's most prominent on chords with the third in the bottom, as well as the version of D/A used in All Right Now and Lick It Up (0423 on ADGB strings) and with the guitar's volume rolled down.

Back
Top Bottom