Notch/Bandbass filter curves differ?

A band reject filter can be created with a parametric EQ, but can only have a "notch" of -12dB which is probably not the same as blocking.

A band reject filter doesn't fit the parameters since it is defined by two frequencies rather than f0, Q, etc. To make a band reject filter put a highpass and lowpass in parallel.

A bandpass or notch filter is a high-pass and a low-pass combined together in series. The difference between the two is determined by where the -3dB cutoff frequencies are for the high and low pass filters.

In series will work too depending on design. A graphic EQ does not run each band in series with the next stage/band, they are all in parallel and then summed up. Many amp tone circuits are parallel as well and summed in the next amp stage.

In series will work too depending on design. A graphic EQ does not run each band in series with the next stage/band, they are all in parallel and then summed up. Many amp tone circuits are parallel as well and summed in the next amp stage.

The bands are in parallel in a graphic EQ, but the components of the bandpass filters are in series (ex. lowpass filter connected to a highpass filter).

No, a graphic EQ is a series connection of peaking filters. Peaking filters are not made up of lower-order highpass or lowpass filters. They are (typically) second-order filters with the poles and zeros moving in opposite directions on the root locus as you move the slider.

No, a graphic EQ is a series connection of peaking filters. Peaking filters are not made up of lower-order highpass or lowpass filters. They are (typically) second-order filters with the poles and zeros moving in opposite directions on the root locus as you move the slider.
I am smart enough to understand this. ;) :?

Actually old analog graphic EQs are not usually implemented as a cascade of second order peaking filters but as a single 2xNth order peaking filter. This is typically implemented by putting N biquads in the feedback path of a "master" op-amp.

It's too complicated to discuss here but it's equivalent to a series cascade of second-order-sections.

Actually old analog graphic EQs are not usually implemented as a cascade of second order peaking filters but as a single 2xNth order peaking filter. This is typically implemented by putting N biquads in the feedback path of a "master" op-amp.

It's too complicated to discuss here but it's equivalent to a series cascade of second-order-sections.

This was what I meant by in parallel: there's one stage but each filter section operates in parallel of the signal (at least this is how I interpret the schematic) Thanks :)

ok ok now you're just showing off and/or making up words :p :D!!!

This I believe:

Ah, yes!

Anyway, I guess the question is more academic in nature (why don't these curves look the same), than practical (I'm trying to achieve a certain sound, and I can't) - because the suggestion "To make a band reject filter put a highpass and lowpass in parallel" allows this type of curve.

Back
Top Bottom