Not happy with Matrix GT1000FX... !

Goldtop57

Inspired
Vendor
hi guys,

I'm currently running my axe both through the PA, or through my gt1000fx and EVM12L cab.

Whenever I use my power amp and cab setup, it sounds very raspy overdriven. Not pleasant at all.
I make my patches with a good IR of my actual cab.

I have read that the matrix adds lows and highs which can make the tone raspy. Are there any solutions ? Mods ? ...

thanks !

Hmmm,

Interesting, I have a Matrix GT800FX and use EVM12L's and also Cab sims to FOH and get a great sound from both.
Are you using Output 2 for your GT1000FX (via FXLoop block - pre cab block) and Output 1 with Cab sims to FOH ?

I also use differing CAB sims for FOH depending on which sound I'm modelling, I also use Output 1 through PA wedges and 1 side of my GT800FX and think it blends great with the non cab sim EVMs

I'm currently running my axe both through the PA, or through my gt1000fx and EVM12L cab.

You're sending the IR to the PA and not to the Matrix & PA correct?

I ran mine similar to yours, but in the end I ended up selling the GT1000FX, The FoH tone was great, but the cab + GT1000FX always sounded very narrow and pinched to me. I did find that adjusting the low frequency response/resonance helped a lot. So did an EQ at the end of the chain, but I ditched it in the end because I simply couldn't get a tone that sounded or felt like a real amp.

Sounds to me like you need to make patches with the ACTUAL rig you plan to play them through. Anything else is fraught with compromise and unexpected results.

I use an evm12l thiele boogie cab with a gt800fx. Sounds pretty good though I prefer greenback speakers.

Make sure you put the fxl block BEFORE your cab block in your grid or you'll be sending the cab IR to your EVM cab.

I find the matrix just puts out what you put in. It doesn't add anything other than volume. That's the purpose of it, now i find it works so well, sometimes i forget it's even there! I even forgot to switch it on before a set a couple of times..... That was embarrassing.

If you have dialled in your patches for FOH with cab sims, you may find that they will sound different going to a standard guitar cab. The EV12L in particular due to having an extended top end range will accentuate some highs that you won't find in the cab sim (the cab sim tends to cut off the highs better). You may want to experiment with first dialling in the patches for the Matrix and cab. Use some of the hi-cut or EQ in the amp block to tame some of the highs if needs be. For the low end, use the speaker tab and experiment with the Low Res Freq and level. A lower freq will give a tighter bottom end whereas the area around 110hz may sound boomy sometimes. Lower the Freq and widen the Q a little to still retain some warmth and lose the boom. As far as FOH, remember the sound engineer may alter the sound anyway to fit the room conditions and overall mix so although important, it's not life and death that it sounds exactly the same as your on stage sound (just like a mic'd up cab wouldn't). You also have the luxury of Global EQ 2 (if going through Output 2) to add some extras if needs be without altering your core tone.

I find my Matrix GT1000, compared to my Bryston 2B LP Pro, has a bit more highs in the 5k region, a bit less in the 1k region and a bit less in the bass regions below 100hz.

A better strategy is to dial your presets in on the Matrix/EVM rig and then try to find an IR that translates that sound into an FRFR system.

You say your IR is of your own 12L cabinet, but unless you really know what you're doing that IR might not be so hot.

I've got the same rig as you and similar goals for tone.
I find the stock Cab #119 with the 57 mic sim and proximity set around 3.0 does a usable approximation of my real 12 cabs.
Some of the Ownhammer 12L in a Thiele cab IRs work pretty well too.
I'm also finding that the TAF free Mesa 4 X 12 12L IRs can be pretty useful for this application too.
They don't seem to have as pronounced a bottom end as most 4 X 12 cab IRs usually do so they're not too far off from the sound of a close mic'd open back cab.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom