Not completly happy with 9.03

Status
Not open for further replies.
again people flying off the handle... and i expect more coming from the top, than just F off. very unprofessional.

dpeterson said:
again people flying off the handle... and i expect more coming from the top, than just F off. very unprofessional.

Cliff is 100 percent right. Either use what makes you happy and shut up, or live with it. I've seen tons of stupid complaints at this forums, and even I'm getting fed up with it. It's like the guy that thought the sound was better with cab sims on, even though he used a real cap with the Axe. His ears must be totally rubbish, but if he likes it that way, then use it that way and stop bugging Cliff.

With 9.03, we have the most realistic sounding and feeling amps we've ever had. If somebody thinks they sound worse than before, well, then they don't like real amps they're based on, or don't know how they're supposed to sound.

BITCH MODE OFF :mrgreen:

dpeterson said:

Some people here have a much different definition of what "flying off the handle" means than I do.

Y'all should spend some time on usenet which is unmoderated.
You'll develop a thicker skin pretty quickly.
The Fractal forums are tame, even at their worst, by any standard.

While I don't agree with the OP; seems overly 'I can barely hear a problem there...wha?' But it's his opinion. Stay out of it if you don't have anything beyond 'I don't agree'.

The thread will die if noone participates or agrees, so let it go.

Or, conversely, one of the mods will nuke it if the snippy non-productive personal attack crap continues.

-Darth Vader

FWIW I thought bmi handled a rather delicate subject with tact. The fight first mentality brewing around here lately is not doing anyone any good. My results with 9.03 have been positive. But there were times that I struggled when the consensus was very positive.

Glad I never started any threads asking for help. :roll:

bmi said:
... and if it solves the ringing tone i will go back there and ask why i have to tweak now the advanced parameter when i've got good tone before with default values. ;)

Im all for not piling on a dude when he ask a question, even an unpopular one , but this junk irritates the heck out of me. Why do you have to change default values? BECAUSE THE WORLD DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND YOU. I had to change settings from 9.0 to 9.3, but dang it ATLEAST YOU HAVE THE TOOLS to get the tone you want. USE THEM.
~mx
~

randocaster said:
Yeah, i realised a long time ago that this forum is not the place for criticism, even if it is constructive... If you're not here to praise and worship then you'd better be wearing your flack jacket. It's a shame because so many improvements could be implemented if people were more welcoming of constructive criticism.
I mentioned words to this effect a while back and Cliff replied "put it in a PM" which i did but i never got a reply so i have no idea whether he even read it, considered any of my ideas or just trashed it....

Ah well, whaddya do....

joegold said:
For all of them, I have to lower the HF Resonance parameter, sometimes all the way to 0 in order to get the amps to sound "right".
As written in the release notes this replicates the pre-9.02 Amp type default parameters.
IIRC, it's 2.5 actually. Dialing it to 0 will get you into minus firmwareland (that would be pre 0 ) :lol:

teejay said:
randocaster said:
Yeah, i realised a long time ago that this forum is not the place for criticism, even if it is constructive... If you're not here to praise and worship then you'd better be wearing your flack jacket. It's a shame because so many improvements could be implemented if people were more welcoming of constructive criticism.
I mentioned words to this effect a while back and Cliff replied "put it in a PM" which i did but i never got a reply so i have no idea whether he even read it, considered any of my ideas or just trashed it....

Ah well, whaddya do....

Give us an example?

teejay said:
randocaster said:

Ah well, whaddya do....

Rubbish. Things have been openly discussed here that have resulted in things being implemented. Hell, even just recently with people complaining about the high gain sounds being too bright, so now we have a parameter that lets us go back to the old sound if we want (or go the other way entirely).

Cliff can't tailor every firmware update to every individual user's needs. If some tweaking of the advanced parameters gets you back to the sound you wanted, then good, at least you've got your sound. Where you had to go into the advanced parameters to get to your sound, others will have been able to ditch their old advanced tweaking and just use the basic controls to get their sound. Updates mean different things for different people, and there's just no way to avoid that.

The last update I did, 8.x to 9.03, completely killed one of my patches (which I happened to be recording with :lol:). It used one of the amps Cliff had tweaked, plus the other general changes he'd made. I actually LOL'd when I first played it after updating. But I'm not about to get on the forum and bitch that I'll have to go and pretty much rework the patch from nothing. The Axe is an ever-changing product, and I'm happy to work with it that way. If I decide I don't want it to change on me anymore, I'll stop updating it.

bmi said:
I know but i know too that the overwhelming majority has not an Axe-Fx as long than me and probably didn't use the same poweramp than me for testing. it gives me normally excellent results.

So should Cliff be designing the Axe around the poweramp you happen to use? I've had my Axe since the early 6.x days, and have used the same monitors the whole time. Yes the sounds have changed over time and I've had to retweak things. But then, I don't necessarily try to go back and nail the exact same sound. If Cliff gives us updates that are supposed to have improved the modelling, I'll see what I can get out of them. Often it means I end up with a sound I like more than what I had before. If you don't want your sounds to change at all, simply don't update the Axe. :?

Even if other users hadn't had the Axe as long as you, I'm pretty sure we'd be noticing if the current firmware's modelling was giving us headaches with brain-piercing high frequencies, and strange duck-related noises. That's not something that is specific to long-time users only.

I upgraded to 9.03 from 7.04. Half of my 100+ patches sounded better, and half sounded worse. I went back to 7.04. Maybe some day I will try upgrading again.

If Cliff was as awesome as he claims to be, he would release a patch that would allow me to dual-boot my Axe and run both firmware versions simultaneously. No, wait- virtual machine- let me boot 7.4 from within 9.03.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Phil

Philip said:
If Cliff was as awesome as he claims to be, he would release a patch that would allow me to dual-boot my Axe and run both firmware versions simultaneously. No, wait- virtual machine- let me boot 7.4 from within 9.03.
Phil

Not in my position as a moderator:
LOL your way through this statement if you will, it still makes me a little angry. All this sais is that you don't want to tweak your new patches for the new firmware, which has ALL the tools for you to fix things your way.

Back to moderator hat:
Folks. I'm trying to get into the 'kinder, gentler' mode, but we're not really getting anywhere here...fast.

The sense of entitlement on this thread is strong.

Complaining because you have to change a setting seems a bit much. I don't think the attitude of the criticism is expressed in a way that leads to any sort of constructive discussion. You can point fingers and say he was mean, and folks can point right back and say, 'you weren't nice'.

To me it all comes off as entitlement. Turn the damn settings and find the tones you like. If you liked 6.05 firmware best, then play on proudly and don't complain that to match that sound in 9.03 you'd actually have to change some setting from default.

The world does not revolve around the squeaky wheel; and sometimes the squeaky wheel just squeaks to hear itself squeak it seems lately.

In all the years I've been on the Internet and in all my conversations with other guitarists, I've never heard terms like 'ducky' tones. Perhaps it is a language barrier; but I personally can't understand what it is the OP is actually trying to describe. Post an example and don't be condescending and insulting with your OP and perhaps folks could actually help you instead of just reading your thread as a troll thread.

And sorry to those that want to go to war over this or that; if you don't explain the context and give examples - tangible examples - of what you are trying to describe, how can anyone help you?

electronpirate said:
Philip said:
Phil

Not in my position as a moderator:
LOL your way through this statement if you will, it still makes me a little angry. All this sais is that you don't want to tweak your new patches for the new firmware, which has ALL the tools for you to fix things your way.

Back to moderator hat:
Folks. I'm trying to get into the 'kinder, gentler' mode, but we're not really getting anywhere here...fast.

Personally speaking....
I never needed to go into the Advanced Amp Parameters to get the sounds I need from the Amp Types I use.
Their default parameters were always fine.
Now, I *do* need to go into the Advanced Amp Parameters to lower the HF Resonance parameter on every Amp Type I use.
If this was a do-it-once-and-forget-about-it thing then there'd be no problem.
But every-time I do a firmware update that has Amp Block changes involved (since all my presets use Global Amps) now I'll have to go back into the HF Resonance parameter and tweak it again.
Every-time I try out a new Amp Type and then go back to my original Amp Type I'll have to remember to re-tweak it again.

I'm not wailing about this, and I have very little emotion attached to it.
It's just a minor niggle.
But it's a niggle I'd rather not have.
It's a hassle I never used to have. That's all.

If this type of discussion is the type of discussion that you moderators here feel that you have censor, then you guys are just control freaks and you should lighten up. IMESHO.

FractalAudio said:
That's because you are using a tube power amp. You need to compensate for this by reducing the Resonance parameters in the amp block.

Will this apply as well to the Atomic Reactor (powered) en route to my house at this very moment (about which, I might add, I am very excited)?

Maybe 1.76dB better, but certainly 50% better.

6.02 x 150% = 9.03

Nothing wrong with liking old firmware sounds... the old 80s vintage 'firmware' (if you can call it that) in my GP-8 still sounds pretty good to this day, live anyway.

I'm really happy Cliff continues to advance his product though. This is what sets Fractal apart from the competition. It lets us go places now that we couldn't before, particularly for direct recording and direct to PA.

kfliegner said:
FractalAudio said:
That's because you are using a tube power amp. You need to compensate for this by reducing the Resonance parameters in the amp block.

Will this apply as well to the Atomic Reactor (powered) en route to my house at this very moment (about which, I might add, I am very excited)?

Rudeness and short, irritable answers are not good period - this applies to everyone on this board. I believe it's better not to say anything than offend, and I believe the overall trend trickles down from the 'top of the chain', for better or worse...

FractalAudio said:

I use my Axefx thru whatever I find on stage. Combo, head return, PA, personal monitor... I just play, using global setting (amp/cabs on/off) to quickly adjust my sounds. It could be doable to have a "global resonance", and have a "% resonance" of global in each patch?
Does it make any sense?

If this shit keeps goin' on, Cliff won't know WHAT to do. He will freeze like a deer in the headlights,the updates will STOP.

I for one appreciate his dedication and hard work.

If a new update means I gotta tweak a few settings... so be it.
Before I had the AXE,I owned just about every other "box" out there and I had to tweak like a mad man just to get a usable sound.
Now I KNOW every sound IS in there...at least I'm not twekin' for nothing.

Peace,my fellow AXE FX brethren.

just my .02$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom