[NOT A BUG] cocked wah sound

Harm

Experienced
Hi all, I don't know if this is posted in the right place, but my problem is that I my distorted sounds sound like I have a cocked wah. Very noticable when I use a neck pickup.mainly disturbing when I play on the G and B string. I can best describe it as a satriani sound. My cleans are ok. I use mainly stock presets. I just added or changed effects here and there. I thought my Matrix Q12A speaker was defective. (although it was also there in my db m-10 monitor) I ordered a second matrix speaker (Q12A also) and the same sound is there.
I don't remember having this problem or sound in the past, but I could be wrong of course.

My setup: axe FX 2, Mfc-101, 2 boss FV pedals and a mission with spring load for wah, 2 matrix Q12A speakers.

My actions so far:
I changed cables.
I reset all global settings
I eliminated that it could be a speaker problem.
I added an EQ block to take out mids (didn't take out honkeyness))
I worked with amp settings and stuff around the midrange to tweak it out.
I unplugged my mission pedal to make sure it didn't have a malfunction and activated the wah without me. Then turned the unit off and on again.
Tried different guitars
My axe has the latest updates.

When I hear Cooper Carter or other ppl with stock settings they don't have this honkeyness.
I used two guitars. Both Ibanez, different humbucker neck pickups. One an air Norton and the other a paf joe.

I am willing to reset everything back to factory settings if that will solve this.

Any advice will be very appreciated.

Thanks, Harm

Last edited:
Do the presets have a wah block in them? Make sure auto engage isn't turning it on accidentally. Also, make sure the global EQ's are flat as well.

Tx mr Fender for your reply. I checked. All my globals are flat. I looked at every aspect of the wah and it is off. I did notice however that the original stock versions sound better tham my own. When I started building my preset I found it all to be a bit muffled. so I messed a bit with the settings. I didn't do a good job apparently, so I am going to start from scratch tomorrow. I do find a the gain settings too honky in the midrange. Especially when playing the B string with the neck pickup. Bridge pickup is fine. Its like an SRV honkeyness. Anyway, as said Ill be starting from scratch (meaning I'll take a factory preset and adjust to taste) tomorrow and hopefully get better results.
Maybe Ill do a complete factory reset. Not just putting back the presets, but really look for a way to set it back like it came from the factory. I hear a small "tick"coming through my speaker coming from speaker A now and then (switching speakers, cables, wall,wart didn't solve that) so that might solve that as well.

Tx for thinking with me man! Appreciate it.

might be worth trying it through some very good headphones, or some studio monitors, if you have some. take it round to a friend's house if they're amenable. just to rule out whether it's the matrix speakers that are actually colouring the sound in a way you don't like. my opinion (and it's just my opinion) is that they're not very flat and they have a bump in the upper midrange, which is what you might be hearing.

Back
Top Bottom