Noob FM3 Connection to Audio Interface

Hey guys, I apologize because I'm sure this question has been answered before, but I have been digging through the forums and googling but have not found an answer to my specific case. I just ordered my FM3 and it's my first fractal product which will hopefully be here this coming week. I wanted to make sure I have everything in place so I can start playing with it as soon as possible.

I wanted to run it into my Presonus AudioBox iTwo interface, which would then go out to my monitors. However, I am a bit confused as to how I would go about connecting the FM3 to the audio interface. From the FAQ section of the forum I see the following:

The main outs are XLR but I need to connect to 1/4" inputs. What should I do?
The easiest solution here is an adapter or a cable that goes from XLR to 1/4". If you don’t have this, however, there’s another option. Out 2 has 1/4" jacks, and in the SETUP:I/O menu, you can set Out 2 to copy Out 1.

The front inputs of the Presonus can take both XLR or 1/4 inch TRS cables. So my questions are the following:

1. Is there any difference between using a male/male XLR cable vs using male XLR/TRS to go FM3->Audio Interface? Any one better than the other?
2. Do I need to run one or two cables between the FM3 and the audio interface?
3. If I were to go from Out 2 of the FM3 (1/4'' jack), can I just use a normal guitar cable? Or do I need something else?

Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it and can't wait to start playing with my new toy!

Regards,
Steven

1. Is there any difference between using a male/male XLR cable vs using male XLR/TRS to go FM3->Audio Interface? Any one better than the other?
You would be using male to female XLR cables.

TRS doesn't make sense as the outputs are TS.
Do you want to record mono or stereo?
3. If I were to go from Out 2 of the FM3 (1/4'' jack), can I just use a normal guitar cable? Or do I need something else?

Yes... Standard 1/4" TS instrument cables.

Hey guys, I apologize because I'm sure this question has been answered before, but I have been digging through the forums and googling but have not found an answer to my specific case. I just ordered my FM3 and it's my first fractal product which will hopefully be here this coming week. I wanted to make sure I have everything in place so I can start playing with it as soon as possible.

I wanted to run it into my Presonus AudioBox iTwo interface, which would then go out to my monitors. However, I am a bit confused as to how I would go about connecting the FM3 to the audio interface. From the FAQ section of the forum I see the following:

The main outs are XLR but I need to connect to 1/4" inputs. What should I do?
The easiest solution here is an adapter or a cable that goes from XLR to 1/4". If you don’t have this, however, there’s another option. Out 2 has 1/4" jacks, and in the SETUP:I/O menu, you can set Out 2 to copy Out 1.

The front inputs of the Presonus can take both XLR or 1/4 inch TRS cables. So my questions are the following:

Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it and can't wait to start playing with my new toy!

Regards,
Steven
standard XLR cables are Male to Female. there should be no difference between XLR and XLR to TRS, except XLR cables are standard, so no need to use anything else. XLR out of the FM3 to your XLR inputs on the interface.

if you want stereo sound, you need to use 2 cables, and then pan the 2 inputs of the interface Left and Right on your interface software. if you can't do that or don't want stereo, 1 cable will work from the Left output of the FM3.

Out 2 uses standard instrument cables. but you have to configure Out 2 to get sound - it doesn't have any audio out by default. if you can tell us why/when you'd use Out 2, we can tell you what to set.

You would be using male to female XLR cables.

TRS doesn't make sense as the outputs are TS.

Do you want to record mono or stereo?

Yes... Standard 1/4" TS instrument cables.

Awesome, thanks so much for your help. Regarding number 2 I would only be recording mono so that answers my question :)

standard XLR cables are Male to Female. there should be no difference between XLR and XLR to TRS, except XLR cables are standard, so no need to use anything else. XLR out of the FM3 to your XLR inputs on the interface.

if you want stereo sound, you need to use 2 cables, and then pan the 2 inputs of the interface Left and Right on your interface software. if you can't do that or don't want stereo, 1 cable will work from the Left output of the FM3.

Out 2 uses standard instrument cables. but you have to configure Out 2 to get sound - it doesn't have any audio out by default. if you can tell us why/when you'd use Out 2, we can tell you what to set.

Thank you very much this makes sense. The only reason I brought up using Out 2 at all is because in the FAQ it mentioned this as being a way to do it instead of the XLR cable from Out 1. As long as the single XLR cable will work that I will go that route.

FWIW, I have the iTwo; using the XLR inputs will work, but it’ll run you through the interface’s mic preamps as well. If you just want to use direct line level, either use XLR to TRS, or the regular 1/4” outs of the FM3. XLR to XLR sounded weird (different modeler, but still).

FWIW, I have the iTwo; using the XLR inputs will work, but it’ll run you through the interface’s mic preamps as well. If you just want to use direct line level, either use XLR to TRS, or the regular 1/4” outs of the FM3. XLR to XLR sounded weird (different modeler, but still).
i use XLR inputs on interfaces with no issues. i just leave the channel gain low or even all the way down. the Axe gear gives strong signal and i don't need any preamp gain. sounds the exact same as 1/4" cables in my situations.

i use XLR inputs on interfaces with no issues. i just leave the channel gain low or even all the way down. the Axe gear gives strong signal and i don't need any preamp gain. sounds the exact same as 1/4" cables in my situations.

Ah. Well maybe it was just that particular device that liked the XLR to TRS better for me.

Back
Top Bottom